Bsa Amends Adult Leadership Standards

I sincerely hope this policy reversal leads to a rapprochement between BSA and UUA. I also hope that more UU congregations will step up to sponsor units that may be in danger of loosing their original chartering partner.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm really torn on this issue. One part of me is glad national made this decision as I don't feel discrimination has a place in scouting. On the other side my oldest is going into Webelos-I and my you

"This policy isn’t perfect, and this is progress, not a final victory—but I hope you’ll join me in celebrating tonight."   -Zach Wahls.   This concerns me greatly. From this point out, I ca

From this point forward, the pro-gay element has an easy playbook:   Part 1--The Set Up Gay leader to church sponsored troop:  "Let me join." Chartered org:   "Sorry but no, our beliefs won't allo

I sincerely hope this policy reversal leads to a rapprochement between BSA and UUA. I also hope that more UU congregations will step up to sponsor units that may be in danger of loosing their original chartering partner.

UU?

I know UCC support the Baden Powell scouting program.

I hope so too. But the BSA's Religious Relationship Committee would have to rescind it's ban on the UUA religious emblems. And would probably have to reinstate the original agreement and allow a UUA representative on the Committee.

The BSA is finally going the right direction. I'm looking forward to the day the BSA will go back to it's older policy on membership (from the BSAs internal booklet BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, A REPRESENTATIVE MEMBERSHIP, 1973):

Our federal charter sets forth our obligation to serve boys. Neither the charter nor the bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America permits the exclusion of any boy. The National Council and Executive Board have always taken the position that Scouting should be made available for all boys who meet entrance age requirements.

No mention of gays or God. Simply: all boys of the right age.

Edited by Rick_in_CA

I hope so too. But the BSA's Religious Relationship Committee would have to rescind it's ban on the UUA religious emblems. And would probably have to reinstate the original agreement and allow a UUA representative on the Committee.

I'd gladly sponsor a UUA guest and would also be happy to relinquish my UUSO seat in the RR Task Force. 

I'm actually ok with gays in boy scouting and seeing one particular eagle scout and Micosay leader at Camp Bartle, I suspect many are. 

One thing though is they still should hold standards of morals. The above picture of the Boy Scouts carrying flags in the NYC pride parade - that would be a big fat NO! Pride parades are disgusting with examples of open sexuality and naked people flaunting morals. Many gay parents even avoid them. I also wouldnt want boy scouts at mardi gras or spring break events with people flashing their bodies and drunkenness either. If their is skin or alcohol involved, avoid it.

Now atheists, if a person will not show authority to a higher power I say no and good luck with your Spiral scout troop.

I agree with not being at the gay pride parade in uniform.. That should be a rule on the books enforced not only at a parade like that but also at any rally that is political in nature. 

Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America

clause 2.

• "The officers and leaders of the Boy Scouts of America shall, when practicable, cooperate in connection with civic or other public gatherings of a nonpartisan and nonpolitical character which gives Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Explorers [Ventures] an opportunity to render service in harmony with their training instead of merely taking part in parades or making a show of themselves in their uniforms."

clause 6.

• " The Boy Scouts of America shall not, through its governing body or through any of its officers, its chartered Councils, or members, involve the Scouting movement in any question of a political character. However, this shall not be interpreted to prevent the teaching of patriotism and good citizenship as required to fulfill the Corporation's purpose. This policy shall also not limit the freedom of thought or action of any official or member as an individual."

Cub Scout Leader's Manual:
Chapter 7: Uniform Rules and Regulations "The uniform may not be worn by either Cub Scouts or adult leaders when: Involved in any distinctly political endeavor." 

The above picture of the Boy Scouts carrying flags in the NYC pride parade - that would be a big fat NO! Pride parades are disgusting with examples of open sexuality and naked people flaunting morals. 

You are absolutely correct most are LUDE and extremely vulgar!  

all these acronyms have my head spinning !!!! lol

For anyone not following along (I realize JasonG172's probably joking).

UUA = Unitarian Universalist Association, the Unitarian church organization.  Long at odds with the BSA over its membership policies.  The religious emblems it awarded were not recognized by the BSA because the brochures described how BSA policies were not in accord with UUA principles.

UUSO= Unitarian Universalist Scouters' Organization, a group of scouters formed to represent Unitarian views to the BSA and oversee religious emblems for Unitarian youth.  The UUSO's religious emblems awards are recognized by the BSA but not the UUA.

RR Task Force = BSA's religious relationships task force, the arm of the National Council charged with liaising with religious denominations.

Putting words in Trevorum's mouth: he's hoping for a rapid reunification between the BSA and UUA and recognition for one set of religious emblems.  Likewise I hope that BSA and Reform Judaism make peace and end the conflict that began in 2001.