Is Local Option An Illusion?

Who is making that argument?

And I am not sure what "accepting of lifestyles" means.

Really? Sorry, can't help you if you don't know what those who oppose the ban are being asked to do.

I don't think anyone is being asked to "accept" anything. The only thing that is being "asked" is that if you are the IH or COR of a non-religious CO, that you do not exclude leaders solely on the basis of their sexual orientation.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a one-way blind alley until Monday. Now it's a two-way street.

Not to worry, they will be leaving, and it might be kinda important to BSA to know why.  I don't think BSA thought this one through very well, and telling people to shut up and leave really is an appr

The memo is a bit long on assertions and short on legal analysis to back them up.   Both the Catholic Church and the Mormon Church appear to be OK with the BSA legal position; if they're not worried

Really? Sorry, can't help you if you don't know what those who oppose the ban are being asked to do.

They are being asked to respect the religious faiths of others that believe differently on this issue. You know, follow the scout law?

• Upvote 1

My Senator, Dick Durbin, Minority Whip has publically said he'd have to "think long and hard" about whether a religious school should maintain their tax-exempt status if they hold employees to a religious code.  I don't think it's much of a stretch for lawyers to start parsing the meaning of the word is in order to find justification to destroy whatever they want destroyed.

And if you really follow politics, you know that is politic speak for "this isn't on my radar, and I doubt this issue is going to come up in a serious way but I know these words will appease the person who asked me about my stance on this without committing myself to any position"

They are being asked to respect the religious faiths of others that believe differently on this issue. You know, follow the scout law?

But is that a two-way street?  Or just some sort of one-way blind alley?

PCism is never a two-way street, either you get into lock-step or you are vilified.

Edited by Stosh

<<

Since BSA is easing membership restrictions can we PLEASE lobby for them to ease up on beer at summer camp? Nothing's better than a nice micro-brew after a 10 mile hike in the Rockies. And I am pretty sure we could get a MUCH larger number of BSA members to support THAT policy change.
animated-smileys-drinking-003.gif>>

Maybe you can get the USSC to mandate that under the 21st Amendment.

• Upvote 1

<<

Since BSA is easing membership restrictions can we PLEASE lobby for them to ease up on beer at summer camp? Nothing's better than a nice micro-brew after a 10 mile hike in the Rockies. And I am pretty sure we could get a MUCH larger number of BSA members to support THAT policy change.animated-smileys-drinking-003.gif>>

Maybe you can get the USSC to mandate that under the 21st Amendment.

If it were whiskey SCOTUS might hear the case.

I'm more in favor of an international flavor such as Canadian blend.  .Almost couldn't send this message, couldn't find the prost button.

Prost is more of a Germanic toast, so shouldn't that be used for a nice German or Austrian drink?

it is if your chartered by a non faith based organization.  I found this out the hard way the past few days.

We are chartered by an Civic Organization American Legion/VFW type of group..  I had a leader come to me and express his concern regarding the membership change and how they might not be able to continue with the program.  Being in an extremely small community I didn't think this would ever effect us.  Hindsight shows how naive I was. 

I immediately went to my DE to ask for advice on how to handle this, and to get some clarification on what the vote actually meant.  I was told that unless you are chartered by a religious institution your CO does not have the option to choose.  Because of liability reasons any non religious groups could potentially face discrimination lawsuits and therefore had to follow the updated policy.

we were told that a new code of conduct will be instituted and followed by all leaders, and will be strictly enforced.  I did receive a copy of the code of conduct, but i'm not sure how to post it.

What I can't really get my mind around is the fact that, according to BSA a policy, a religious charter organization cannot discriminate on sexual orientation alone in regard to youth, but can discriminate in regard to adults. It seems like a big hole in the way local option should work.

A gay kid who grows up in a pack/troop is suddenly shown the door when he turns 18? That seems like a situation that would create a great deal of unwelcome noise for the church.

What I can't really get my mind around is the fact that, according to BSA a policy, a religious charter organization cannot discriminate on sexual orientation alone in regard to youth, but can discriminate in regard to adults. It seems like a big hole in the way local option should work.

A gay kid who grows up in a pack/troop is suddenly shown the door when he turns 18? That seems like a situation that would create a great deal of unwelcome noise for the church.

The folks who founded Trail Life would agree.