Is Local Option An Illusion?

My Senator, Dick Durbin, Minority Whip has publically said he'd have to "think long and hard" about whether a religious school should maintain their tax-exempt status if they hold employees to a religious code.  I don't think it's much of a stretch for lawyers to start parsing the meaning of the word is in order to find justification to destroy whatever they want destroyed.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a one-way blind alley until Monday. Now it's a two-way street.

Not to worry, they will be leaving, and it might be kinda important to BSA to know why.  I don't think BSA thought this one through very well, and telling people to shut up and leave really is an appr

The memo is a bit long on assertions and short on legal analysis to back them up.   Both the Catholic Church and the Mormon Church appear to be OK with the BSA legal position; if they're not worried

Since BSA is easing membership restrictions can we PLEASE lobby for them to ease up on beer at summer camp? Nothing's better than a nice micro-brew after a 10 mile hike in the Rockies. And I am pretty sure we could get a MUCH larger number of BSA members to support THAT policy change. 

animated-smileys-drinking-003.gif

I regret that I have but one click to give to this campaign.

• Upvote 1

BSA gets left with what out of 100,000 units?

100,000 units? BSA has not seen that many units in a long while.

If you look at the page referenced, there are about 75,000 units chartered by religious organizations, about 10,000 from civic organizations, and about 7,000 related to schools. 92k units by my rough adding. There are 38,000 LDS units but they seem to have small units (11 kids per unit).

The data is 18 months old and was revised downward during mid 2013 to 96,000 units. The 2014 number was around 93,000 or so (have to check the BSA source).

Below are the unit stats from BSA since 2007. 100k is three years in the rear view mirror.

Total= 112,647

Total= 111,839

Total= 109,786

Total= 106,464

Total= 103,207

Total= 100,618

Total= 96,862

Sorry, didn't notice these replies.  The tally on the page I linked is not complete—it can't be used to assert any definite number of units.  It only includes numbers for the "top 25 faith-based organizations" (based on membership) and states that

"Over 100,000 Scouting units are owned and operated by chartered organizations. Of these:

• 71.5 percent of all units are chartered to faith-based organizations.
  • 21.3 percent of all units are chartered to civic organizations.
  • 7.2 percent of all units are chartered to educational organizations."

The point of the post you were replying to was not to assert a concrete number of units—94,000, 100,000 the point of the post doesn't change. 

The point of the post you were replying to was not to assert a concrete number of units—94,000, 100,000 the point of the post doesn't change. 

That's 2013 data before it was revised downward. The number of units after the revision downward was 96,000. By 2014 it was 93,000. The number with the soon-to-be-released mid-year 2015 numbers is below 91,000. 

So yes, 100,000 units was true in 2012, but not since. Hence the comment that BSA is looking in the rear view mirror at 100,000 units....and is not likely to see that number again.

Since BSA is easing membership restrictions can we PLEASE lobby for them to ease up on beer at summer camp? Nothing's better than a nice micro-brew after a 10 mile hike in the Rockies. And I am pretty sure we could get a MUCH larger number of BSA members to support THAT policy change. 

animated-smileys-drinking-003.gif

Yeah, that's not going to happen.  If it is beer while chaperoning a youth event, may I suggest hockey.  It's pretty common for kids to be left in hotel rooms with one adult present and the rest of the adults heading out to the local pub for a few drinks.  That happens regularly even today.  

So you don't think that Russell T. Davies exists?

As atheists don't believe in a higher level of existence, the premise of the question is wrong.

It is more correct to say there is a set of temporarily bonded molecules that are collectively known by that label.  Those molecules demonstrate a complex pattern of chaotic behavior giving the illusion of the existence of such a being.  

Edited by fred johnson

Yeah, that's not going to happen.  If it is beer while chaperoning a youth event, may I suggest hockey.  It's pretty common for kids to be left in hotel rooms with one adult present and the rest of the adults heading out to the local pub for a few drinks.  That happens regularly even today.  

Well if we are truly accepting of lifestyles we should allow just about anything as long as it does not disable us from doing our jobs. Isn't that the argument?

Well if we are truly accepting of lifestyles we should allow just about anything as long as it does not disable us from doing our jobs. Isn't that the argument?

Yes, but one must always take into consideration the hypocritical political dynamics of the process.   We have always led by example and every child knows the mantra, "Don't do as I do, do as I say."

Who is making that argument?

And I am not sure what "accepting of lifestyles" means.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Who is making that argument?

And I am not sure what "accepting of lifestyles" means.

Really? Sorry, can't help you if you don't know what those who oppose the ban are being asked to do.