Hello From Chicagoland

Hi all, 

I came here to try and get some encouragement before dropping out of scouting. My husband and I are completely overwhelmed with all the work we've had to do this past year (I posted about it in the Cub Scout forum). 

Just when I think things are getting better, I find something out that has me ready to give it all up again (for example, we finally manged to fill all den leader positions last May, but then none of the new leaders came to any of the summer events, and none of them are responding to our messages about our big annual summer camp-out in two weeks). My husband asks at least once a month if we can quit and I am just so tired. 

Anyway, glad to meet you all in any case. I am hoping the fall brings new faces and new energy and we work it all out. 

Welcome, and I hope things turn around for your pack.

But, I would suggest listening to your husband!

Scouting is a great fellowship when young parents pitch in and help each other's kids grow.

When leaders are too burnt out to enjoy one another's company ... not so much.

• Upvote 1

Post this to your email Pack buddies:   ""The Work is Done by Whoever Shows Up"

Then ask:   Can you answer the following questions:

1)   Does your boy have fun in Cub Scouts?

2)   Do you want to have some say in how your boy grows up? Or will you let the TV, Internet, only the School do his growing up for you?

3)   Do you want a connection with your boy when he is 16?   If you do not have that connection by the time he is 12, you will  not have any at 16....

4)   Do you see Scouting as a worthy activity for your boy, REGARDLESS of who his Leaders are?

5)   If you answered "YES"  to the above questions, then we will  be glad to see you at the planning meeting on xx-xx-xxxx in the yyyyyyy Hall.   We have a great year ahead and we need YOUR light and energy to help give YOUR boy the future he deserves!

As Red Green observed, "we're all in this together".   "But I wasn't a Scout "  Don't have to be.  You only have to want your boy to be a Scout and help him have fun doing it.  See you then!  Call if you have questions? Please!

"Course, sometimes no amount of reason, guilt tripping or cajoling will avail.  In that case,  write your farewell letter (on paper!  Makes a bigger impact!), send it to the other parents (it will be worth the postage to your soul, trust me), and transfer to a Pack that cares..  You will find one.... They are out there.

Good Scouting to your boy and to you!

Then, when no one shows up at the next Pack meeting, you take YOUR boy and transfer to a Pack that cares.....

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone! Honestly, my husband is not a joiner and a bit of a curmudgeon, but once he commits he does a wonderful job! Other boys sneak out of their own meetings after badge work to join whatever activity he has planned. He's much better with children than adults.

When other parents complain that their dens are boring I reply, "Yeah, I bet it's just too hard for your den leader to plan all the badge work by himself much less activities too.  We used to feel that way, so we started looking up fun ideas for scouts on Pinterest. You should try that too. I am sure your den leader would love the help!"

In other words... be a part of the solution, not part of the problem!

Thanks for the link, and the welcomes! I am mostly over my bout of Cub Scout induced depression now.... I had just come off working 10 hour days 4 days straight getting everything ready for the new season and the recruitment drive and was feeling a bit snappish. I appreciate all your advice!