I'm putting together a list of competition events for my Scouts. They're planning the annual calendar this week. I *really* want them to choose one as I think they *need* the team building experience of launching a pumpkin on their trebuchet or Davy Jonesing to the bottom of a lake in their cardboard boat.

Boy led and chosen. But adult offered/encouraged.

Can you name some events like that? So far I have 2 pumpkin chuckin events, a cardboard boat and a Lumberjack event.

State doesn't matter much, because I think such cool events have a version anywhere. Unless it's *very* specific to a facility.

We found a "Lumberjack" weekend. Which has lumberjack themed stations. Kinda like Klondike Derby without Cubs, stations are more challenging. Lots of interest.

We found a rocket building challenge. Not scouting, but scout teams could participate. No interest from the boys but the one that suggested it.

Also ScubaJam. I don't see this as a competition event at all. But the boys seemed to think so. HUGELY popular w/ my Scouts.

And a patrol completion of small water ballon trebuchets and water cannons.

I ran across this little website a few years ago, and it has a good outline for a pioneering competition weekend. The site is DanKohn.info, the direct link to the pioneering weekend is http://dankohn.info/~scouts/resources/pioneer_weekend.pdf

Be aware that the Shooting Sports Manual outlawed firing pumpkins (or anything larger than "a juice cup cap") out of catapults and trebuchets this year.

• Upvote 1

Really?

Like only within meetings? W/o special certifications?

I found 5 events in my state alone. Theyre still on the calendar, everywhere.

I've

And that Pioneering sounds COOL

Really?

Like only within meetings? W/o special certifications?

They are not approved for any program level.  Manual is online at http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor%20Program/pdf/30931_WB.pdf

Chapter 12: Other Shooting Sports for All Program Levels

Ammunition (slingshots)

For water balloons, use small, biodegradable balloons, and fill them no larger than a ping pong ball. When using a catapult or other shooting device, use a soft object no larger than the opening of a small juice can. The use of pumpkins is not approved.

Ammunition (catapults)

For water balloons, use biodegradable small balloons filled no larger than a ping pong ball. When using a catapult, use an object that is soft and is no larger than the opening of a small juice can.

It appears that the editors accidentally put the pumpkin note in the slingshot section, but it doesn't much matter because BSA defines slingshots as catapults, and gives the catapult caveat in the slingshot section.

In getting the citation for you, I noticed my own troop accidentally broke the rules a few weeks ago in two ways: we used objects larger than "small juice can openings" and we didn't get approval.

The use of catapults or other shooting devices must be approved by the council shooting sports chair or the National Camping School shooting sports director.
(I knew the ammo we were using was too big, but I'm tired of being the only person in the room who knows the rules and consequently looking like the crazy voice)

(*I'm not saying I agree with all this, I'm just saying before you do it you should know that it's not allowed and if anything goes wrong you will likely not be covered by BSA insurance)
Edited by Scouter99

I also recommend that you buy a copy of this book, Troop Activities, or the other version, Patrol and Troop Activities (I think they're basically the same except the dimensions of the book) keeping in mind that some of the activities are no longer approved.

Also get your hands on the Boys' Life "Patrol Activities" and "Patrol Ideas" reprints.  (http://www.scoutstuff4sale.com/boys-life-reprints-1/?sort=bestselling&page=2)

You can sometimes get reprints for free by sending a self-address stamped envelope (business size) to Boy Scout Division, Boy Scouts of America; 1325 West Walnut Hill Lane PO Box 152079; Irving, TX 75015-2079. A few months ago, I tried writing for free pioneering plans advertised in a 1980s BL, and got a copy of the pioneering reprint with a handwritten note that said "Hope this is what you were looking for." I wasn't aware they still printed/stocked BL reprints

Edited by Scouter99