Boston Minuteman + Yankee Clipper Now Spirit Of Adventure Council

http://danvers.wickedlocal.com/article/20150724/NEWS/150727767

This merger will create "the largest Scout Council ever created in Massachusetts, boasting about 13,500 youth members".

“The merger and creation of the Spirit of Adventure Council is truly something to celebrate, as it shows the future is bright for the Boy Scouts in Massachusetts,†said Spirit of Adventure Council Chief Executive Chuck Eaton. “Our ability to provide the best programs for our kids and families is now stronger than ever, especially in urban areas. Our organization is growing, allowing us to impact more kids and inspire them to prepare for success in life, and in STEM careers of the future.â€

The article briefly mentions Camp Sayre with a little Boston Olympics tease.

"The merger coincides with news that Camp Sayre in Milton is now open to the public, beyond the Scouting community. Camp Sayre is a virtual amusement park for outdoor enthusiasts, featuring everything from rock climbing, high ropes course to an Olympic-sized swimming pool. Families and individuals can utilize Camp Sayre during all four seasons."

Large urban/suburban Council with more fundraising and a focus on STEM and family services.  Spirit of Adventure? :unsure: 

Yes it is small. They plan to increase membership with after-school STEM programs and they have had some successes. Camp Sayre seems to becoming a family/community retreat now.  Overnighters at Museum of Science, MBU at Harvard,...

Edited by RememberSchiff

Has anyone seen a list of council sizes in one location? I am surprised that MA only has a council with 13,000+ youths. Seems small for such a compact area.

I've seen one version of the list from a few years ago. While the size of this council initially sounds small, it's actually very much in keeping with typical councils. In the northeast, where the councils formed early and small, they still tend to be that way.  In the U.S. as a whole, the average council size is right around 10,000 youth  (2.6 million youth, 273 councils) but there are a small number that are a lot bigger than that, and a large number that are a little bit smaller than that.

Has anyone seen a list of council sizes in one location? I am surprised that MA only has a council with 13,000+ youths. Seems small for such a compact area.

There isn't even a map of councils or even a good list of councils that I can find.

No list of camps, either, at least not until Scouting Magazine keeps adding any camp in the country to its fluff list of best camps in the country.  And you get a trophy, and you get a trophy, and you get a trophy

Edited by Scouter99
  • 2 weeks later...

What gets sold?  What got sold?

Most likely Camp Wah-tut-ca in Northwood, New Hampshire.  Questions about the 2016 season have been answered with the "We haven't planned that far" song and dance, and e-mails and snail mails I've received seem to be promoting Camp Sayre and ignoring Wah-tut-ca.  Developers have been drooling over the waterfront property on Northwood Lake for years.  If I were a betting man........

I do hope I'm wrong about this.

Edited by frankpalazzi