The forums tend to be filled with lots of posts of people complaining that scouting is not what it used to be or what it should be or what it could be.  I agree that the program isn't perfect and I see many differences from reading scout book for when my dad was a scout in the 1940s (how many scout books today would teach boys how to fight with sticks -- not that they ever needed teaching).

So my question is what can you do or what do you do to make your program better?  Tip O'Neal said that all politics is local.  My sense is that all scouting is local.  So what do you do in your troop to make scouting better?  Hopefully the answers will inspire, guide and provide ideas.

Here are some of the things that I do:

I'm a merit badge counselor for cooking, personal management, family life, citizenship in the nation, backpacking, camping, cooking and chess.  I take these seriously and follow the requriements and make sure that the boys actually learn what is required.

I"m an ASM and go on most campouts and do my best to encourage the boys to lead in the outdoors (as well as make sure other parents let the boys lead).

I like to play with knives and fire, and encourage the boys to do so at every (appropriate) opportunity while outdoors.

I spend one or two full days a year teaching the boys how to really cook in the outdoors as part of the cooking merit badge.

I give one or two lectures a year on how to choose gear for lightweight backpacking.

I work with the boys to plan exciting adventures such as camping trips, hikes, canoing trips and backpacking trips.  Putting the outing in Scouting is good, but making the outing really cool is even better.

I work with the parents so they understand boy-led and what scouting can do for their sons by talking about how boys grow through scouting.

I talk to boys about how they are doing, ask them if they are having fun, check to see if they are advancing and give them a high five for any job well done.

I talk to the boys and I listen.

I treat each boy as if they are the most important kid in our Troop.  

How about you?

The forums tend to be filled with lots of posts of people complaining that scouting is not what it used to be or what it should be or what it could be.  I agree that the program isn't perfect and I see many differences from reading scout book for when my dad was a scout in the 1940s (how many scout books today would teach boys how to fight with sticks -- not that they ever needed teaching).

So my question is what can you do or what do you do to make your program better?  Tip O'Neal said that all politics is local.  My sense is that all scouting is local.  So what do you do in your troop to make scouting better?  Hopefully the answers will inspire, guide and provide ideas.

Here are some of the things that I do:

I'm a merit badge counselor for cooking, personal management, family life, citizenship in the nation, backpacking, camping, cooking and chess.  I take these seriously and follow the requriements and make sure that the boys actually learn what is required.

I"m an ASM and go on most campouts and do my best to encourage the boys to lead in the outdoors (as well as make sure other parents let the boys lead).

I like to play with knives and fire, and encourage the boys to do so at every (appropriate) opportunity while outdoors.

I spend one or two full days a year teaching the boys how to really cook in the outdoors as part of the cooking merit badge.

I give one or two lectures a year on how to choose gear for lightweight backpacking.

I work with the boys to plan exciting adventures such as camping trips, hikes, canoing trips and backpacking trips.  Putting the outing in Scouting is good, but making the outing really cool is even better.

I work with the parents so they understand boy-led and what scouting can do for their sons by talking about how boys grow through scouting.

I talk to boys about how they are doing, ask them if they are having fun, check to see if they are advancing and give them a high five for any job well done.

I talk to the boys and I listen.

I treat each boy as if they are the most important kid in our Troop.  

How about you?

Thank you for all you do.

I do stuff at my cub unit level, district level, and help out with training anyway I can and that my wife will let me.  

The new SM is the helicopter mothership, so I don't do anything program-related anymore, and simply focus on boys as I can.  I go to the committee meetings so I can tell the boys why their program decisions were overridden and by which adults; focus on pioneering, knots, first aid, and cooking; counsel Scouting Heritage; get hold of PLs' and influential boys' ears to talk to them about how they can guide their own program via patrol activities; encourage peer recruiting; and just spend time being enough of a bloke to get the unadulterated version of their lives so that I can be well-positioned to give counseling that is relevant/personal and meaningful without being preachy.

We're shrinking, and the good ones are headed for the exits 5 minutes after Eagle, so I'm just trying to make an impact on individuals rather than fight a program turned Barney and Friends.

Edited by Scouter99

just spend time being enough of a bloke to get the unadulterated version of their lives so that I can be well-positioned to give counseling that is relevant/personal and meaningful without being preachy.

Honestly, the trust that results from that makes you more of a leader than those with the titles.

Give the boys the data they need to make decisions and get out of their way. Fight the TC if they ever try to change anything reasonable the boys want. Train the boys as leaders using the old JLT tools. Make things fun! Focus on core skills of scouting. Instant recognition when badges completed.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Hedgehog,

You're doing some great things, keep it up! What do I do? I camp a lot, cook a lot, and hopefully, listen a lot. I sometimes get discouraged, but I try to remember that I have the unique experience of helping, in a small way, to shape the future of our youth. I have the honor of being around some truly amazing and thoughtful boys. My son will age out this year, and I was somewhat nostalgic at camp this year, his 7th and final year. Watching him interact with the first year scouts and imparting his wisdom (?) was a wonderful thing. We can all complain about how things used to be, or the difficulties that we face. We have to keep in mind the joy of that first year scout, and know that we play an important role.

"The work is done by whoever shows up".

"" What can you do?""   You can show up.  

Due to health issues (eye surgery among other things) I was not able to fully participate in CSDC this year.  But I still helped to clear land at the new CSDC site having fun with the chainsaw.    And I still head up the Scout RoundTable, which leads to being the enews  email sender (240 email addresses)  and will be doing my thing (Woodtools, Scout's own,  Animal and Plant ID ) at IOLS and helping with Cub Leader Training and SMSpecific  training. 

Somehow, I have become a magnet for used camp gear ( I now have three canoes and accompanying paddles and PDFs and several lanterns and stoves) and am trying to find a home for them where they will be used.

And then there is the Home Troop....