Adult Leader App Rejected And Placed In Ineligible Volunteer File

Go to solution Solved by lepzid,

An adult leader was rejected and placed in "Ineligible Volunteer File".  It was a financial type crime per the adult app.

Essentially, the rejection letter said "sever all ties with Scouting as you don't meet the high standards of the BSA"

Does this also mean the applicant is ineligible to be an "unregistered" active adult? No weekend trips? Troop meetings?

Google is no help with the actual question.

Any information is appreciated.

Edited by lepzid
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a SM of my troop and have recently had an issue with a parent of a scout who is not registered.  The parent was a respected member of the community and had a great relationship with the Scout.  T

An adult leader was rejected and placed in "Ineligible Volunteer File".  It was a financial type crime per the adult app.   Essentially, the rejection letter said "sever all ties with Scouting as yo

This is an extremely sensative matter and a unit leader will NOT get much information, if any, from the council.   In one instance of a volunteer being placed in the Ineligible Volunteer File while

When this adult breaks his ankle on next September's hike and you guys send in the claim to BSA insurance and they send back the rejection letter citing their specific directive that he not be involved with Scouting, are you ready to foot the bill for the defense lawyer, bills, and deal with the backlash from National?

There should be a name on the bottom of the letter, either contact that person and ask for clarification or figure where that person reports on the food chain and ask them.

The language you quoted is pretty harsh.  I've never had an app turned down in my unit, but no one else here has ever mentioned language that strong when discussing other denials.

Lepzid,

Did the unit receive any information or communication.  The language you use indicates a letter addressed to the applicant not the unit.

Packsaddle,

BSA uses a third part carrier or carriers.  If someone in your unit gets hurt, contact your council office and they will send you the first of several mounds of paperwork to fill out.  A very simplified explanation is that their insurance is usually secondary so they will cover what your own health care does not.

Is this a parent?  Are you ok with him/her?  Is the CO ok with him/her?  Parents do not register with councils and don't go through background checks - and most units don't have a problem with parents attending troop meetings or campouts/hikes, etc. as long as they aren't interfering with the program.

It seems unusual that the BSA would take a stance like that for a financial crime.  Unless the BSA is going to kick the son(s) out of the program too, there really isn't much they can do if an unregistered parent is helping out.  S/He can't wear the uniform and to help keep questioning to a minimum, it might be best if S/He didn't help the Troop out at distict/council events but as long as the CO has no issues with the person and you're all comfortable with the person, then I'd accept the help from the parent.

If this person is not a parent of a Scout, then I'd probably just say "sorry, our hands are tied"

Well assuming said person is a scout's parent and is now prohibited from being a volunteer.

From YP:  http://www.scouting.org/BSAYouthProtection/Media_Center/KnowtheFacts.aspx

All aspects of the Scouting program are open to observation by parents and leaders. 

All adult volunteers are required to complete Youth Protection training every two years. 

Observe and perhaps no YP required. Hmmm. It would be interesting to see if this person could setup a myscouting account and take YP training online.

My $0.01

The applicant is a parent who we are OK with because of the strong relationship between the Scout and applicant. My concern is exactly that National has rejected them and if the Troop would be subject to sanctions if the applicants name showed up on an injury report or sunmer camp list.

I appreciate all the feedback so far.

Can anyone point to actual policy? The conflict is as a parent, they should be able to be present and active per BSA guidelines but National has said 'sever all ties'.

I wanted to have as much information available to me before approaching Council, which I'd prefer not to do if there is mo chance for the applicant.

Do you have any idea what standard was not met?

I've never had any experience with anything like this. But to me, "...sever all ties..." is very strong language and it makes me wonder what standard, not met, can result in that language.

I was only told by the Registrar that the applicant was rejected by National and the applicant told me about the letter they received. As of today, the Troop has not eeceived communication from Council or National.

There does not appear to be a publicly available copy of what the standards are that could cause someone to not meet the 'high standards' and to be placed in the 'Ineligible Volunteer' file.

Is this a parent? Are you ok with him/her? Is the CO ok with him/her? Parents do not register with councils and don't go through background checks - and most units don't have a problem with parents attending troop meetings or campouts/hikes, etc. as long as they aren't interfering with the program.

"Most units" don't have a problem with unregistered parents? Hmmmmm.

@@lepzid, In our district we've received "encouragement" that ANY parent going on ANY activity be 1) registered as a member of the troop, and 2) complete YPT. We've followed this suggestion as has nearly all of the units in our district. Why? Because you just never know who someone is, so we allow only registered adults with YPT training to attend most events other than meetings.

It's good advice.

Edited by Bad Wolf

This is an extremely sensative matter and a unit leader will NOT get much information, if any, from the council.

In one instance of a volunteer being placed in the Ineligible Volunteer File while I was a DE, I wasn't informed of any of the matter. Heck I found out the guy was reinstated temorarily per a court order when the guy showed up to round table, and I called the SE per policy.  That's how close the info is played to the vest.

HOWEVER, if memory serves, the COR and/or IH does have the right to contact the SE, and speak with  the SE directly on the  matter.

• Upvote 1

Without knowing what was identified in the background check everything is only speculation. There's always the possibility there's more than what has been disclosed thus far.

I am a SM of my troop and have recently had an issue with a parent of a scout who is not registered.  The parent was a respected member of the community and had a great relationship with the Scout.  The parent was charged with abandonment and the story gets really strange.  Personally I believe the parent but the point is, it does not matter what I believe.  I called our Council immediately and was told that the parent could have no part in our meetings, outings, etc.  This was not to protect the specific scout, but to protect all of the boys in the troop. 

I informed the parent of the council's decision and gave them our district CEO's phone number (with his permission) for further discussion.

My recommendation it to remove your emotion and escalate the issue to the District and/or Council.  We don't get paid enough to deal with these types of issues!

• Upvote 2