Cub Scout Day Camp

Well,  We've completed three days of a four day Cub Scout Day Camp.   I'm sharing the Program Director position with another Den Leader in our pack.

Today we had BB guns, Archery, Orienteering, stilt making.  Tomorrow it's Tent Racing, Cub Racer racing, BB guns, Archery, an egg drop off the tallest ladder truck owned by the fire department,  and skits.

I'm planning to do the Program Director thing a second time.  I'm aiming to improve on what we did this year,  which was quite good,  by choosing high quality activities and asking Packs and/or troops to take charge of organizing one activity.  My theory is that we are weakest when we recruit individuals to take charge of activities,  and strongest when we find packs and troops to take charge of such activities.

My second resolution is to get started pretty much immediately in defining the program for next year and finding packs and troops to incorporate their contribution in their plans.

The camp I just came back from had a Robotics team from the local high school.  They brought a bunch of drone helicopters and the boys loved t.

Do you have access to a climbing wall?  That is another favorite.  And of course pool time :-)

Cub Scout Day Camp over now!

A LOT of work as co Program Director with another person.

All our program worked pretty much as expected.

We had something like 95 boys attend plus seven attend the evening Tiger Camp program,  which operated for four days 6:30-8:30 PM.

• Upvote 1

""I wish my camp had 1/2 that number.""

Our CSDC had 150, down from the year before of 220.  We attributed the drop to a new site,  lots of Cubs going to the Council overnight camp, the insistence of Council raising the price, and the County School system insisting on making up the "snow days" by tacking on 5 extra school days , which  led to ultimately making the first DAY of camp a TWILIGHT (evening) camp, with no reduction in price...

It was still  "a good time had by all" and no bad reviews to my knowledge...

The most my CSDC ever got in over 17 years was 55 Cubs. When oldest was a Tiger, we had 29 Cubs. That's when I was wrangled into being thw PD. The 2nd year I was the PD we had 55, and I made CSDC an almost year round priority in that I was recruiting folks, and promoting it, to get that number.

This year we had 34 or 35. At least it wasn't the worse year I know about: 7 Cubs.

This was the first year we didn't go. We couldn't get enough leaders from our pack to commit to going all three days. I have 3 boys and I just didn't want to risk spending that much money and then having to miss one day. I can't imagine how we would ever be able to organize an activity as a pack! Good job tackling that!

Edited by heat4212