Two Eagle Cor For One Scout?

I have a boy who primary lives on the West coast for most of the year and he is highly active with the troops on the East Coast for the summer. 

On West coast where his home troop is he has tons of family, but none really attends his COH or any of his scouting activities.  He is pretty much alone in support in scouting except for his mother and step dad.  His troop is very badly organized.  It takes the troop a year to setup a COR and most time the troop loses the MB blue cards.

On the East Coast, many scouters are involved with him and they take him to scout campouts and summers camps.  He is invited almost every weekend to some scouting activity.  The East Coast Council knows the situation about his home troop and they regular update his files at both locations.

So should the boy does his ECOH on the west coast or on the east coast where he is more active? 

What is your opinion.?

I can't see a reason why he couldn't have an ECOH in both locations.  The BSA doesn't have any rules saying you can only have one, they have very few rules about Eagle COH's at all - if someone wanted to throw a weekend camping party as their Eagle COH, they could do that.  Some Scouts might even be awarded the medal at a formal Troop COH and then later, have it re-presented at a family planned COH.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least that some Scouts that are children of divorce have had two different COH's with both of the families and perhaps both of their units - nor would it surprise me if this happened 40 years or more ago.

If people on both coasts want to celebrate this Scout's success, and it takes two COH's to get it done, then go for it.

• Upvote 3

Apparently the Scout is registered with a West Coast Troop. It's the West Coast Troop who had the Board of Review, signed off and did the paperwork.  Courts of Honor is a Troop responsibility, not recipients family.  Thus CoH should be West Coast.

Also apparent is the boy has Scout friends from East Coast Troops and East Coast family. Thus it's okay and a complement to the new Eagle Scout that his East Coast frends and family arrange an Eagle recognition event for him.

Yes, it's a family decision, and in one sense, anything goes.

In another, think about what the boy might rather do. He might want to recognize units on both coasts, but not enjoy the monotony of a 2nd CoH. If that's the case, encourage him to have the CoH on one coast, and a "reception" on the other. The latter may be in the form of a favorite activity, like a shooting sports day, ending in a campfire.

• Upvote 1

Apparently the Scout is registered with a West Coast Troop. It's the West Coast Troop who had the Board of Review, signed off and did the paperwork.  Courts of Honor is a Troop responsibility, not recipients family.  Thus CoH should be West Coast.

Also apparent is the boy has Scout friends from East Coast Troops and East Coast family. Thus it's okay and a complement to the new Eagle Scout that his East Coast frends and family arrange an Eagle recognition event for him.

ECOHs are the troop's responsibility? Your unit sounds different than many I know. Normal COHs are the troop's duty in my neck of the woods. ECOH's are the family's gig.

I guess some units have other traditions. Thanks for sharing that.

I have a boy who primary lives on the West coast for most of the year and he is highly active with the troops on the East Coast for the summer. 

On West coast where his home troop is he has tons of family, but none really attends his COH or any of his scouting activities.  He is pretty much alone in support in scouting except for his mother and step dad.  His troop is very badly organized.  It takes the troop a year to setup a COR and most time the troop loses the MB blue cards.

On the East Coast, many scouters are involved with him and they take him to scout campouts and summers camps.  He is invited almost every weekend to some scouting activity.  The East Coast Council knows the situation about his home troop and they regular update his files at both locations.

So should the boy does his ECOH on the west coast or on the east coast where he is more active? 

What is your opinion.?

I think an ECOH at each place wouldn't be out of place.  At the least some kind of ceremony would be appropriate at each place. 

I've always thought of the ECOH as being the parent's choice, along with support from the troop.

Every unit does things differently. For some units, the troops does everything, in others it's a family matter. Some troops only have 1 ECOH per year, and make a big deal of it ( one troop chartered helicopter rides for their Eagles prior to the ceremony). Other units every time their is an Eagle, a special COH is done. And some units do it in conjunction with a regularly scheduled COH. 

While I personally would not have 2 separate ECOHs, I would have 2 receptions to celebrate: one east coast and one west coast. Also whichever troop did the EBOR, that's where I would have the COH.

COHs whether it is Eagle or not is the responsibility of the home troop. The reception /celebration on the other hand is up to the family. There's no limit to the number of them the family can host. People do this all the time with weddings.

COHs whether it is Eagle or not is the responsibility of the home troop. The reception /celebration on the other hand is up to the family. There's no limit to the number of them the family can host. People do this all the time with weddings.

What Stosh said.  Ask the scout what he wants to do. If my troop had a bi-coastal scout, I'd want to at least recognize his accomplishments at a COH.  It doesn't have to be an Eagle COH for him to be recognized.