Online Yp Without Myscouting For Non-Registered Adults (Parents)?

I thought YP training could be taken online WITHOUT creating a MyScouting account and logging in. I thought this was done to make it easier for reluctant non-registered adults to get the training. Just enter name, listen to course, take test and print out ticket.

Some parents came back to me tonight, still non-YP, telling me that I was all wet.  :o Seems I am?

Edited by RememberSchiff

I think that's right, you still have to register to access the online course.  But you don't have to have a member number, you just have to create an account on my.scouting.org.  Seriously though, all that takes is a name, email, and password...shouldn't be *that* big of a deal.

If they later register with BSA they can go back in an add their member number and in theory it will link to scoutnet.  Or something like that.

I think that's right, you still have to register to access the online course.  But you don't have to have a member number, you just have to create an account on my.scouting.org.  Seriously though, all that takes is a name, email, and password...shouldn't be *that* big of a deal.

If they later register with BSA they can go back in an add their member number and in theory it will link to scoutnet.  Or something like that.

From their standpoint, giving out their e-mail address and creating an account is a "big deal" to only take a likely one time 30+ minute online course. Reminds them of financial planners, etc, who offer a "free" course but require you to register and provide all that marketing information for future spam.

Too bad, we needed their help.

From their standpoint, giving out their e-mail address and creating an account is a "big deal" to only take a likely one time 30+ minute online course. Reminds them of financial planners, etc, who offer a "free" course but require you to register and provide all that marketing information for future spam.

Too bad, we needed their help.

And they are the crew whining about what a crappy job the ASMs are doing no doubt.

To take it offline you can use the following links:

The online video used for training can be found here: http://trainingmedia.scouting.org/Video/Training/pd/ypt1/index.html

The quiz can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/scouterresearchcenter/Youth%20Protection%20Training%20Quiz.pdf

The Facilitator’s Guide can be found here: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/100-023_WB.pdf

You can have parents turn in the quiz, but no card can be issued/printed.

Yeah, that was my next suggestion.  Our council has all the DVDs for troops to borrow.  If you use the DVD, you don't have to worry about the video buffering in the middle of the thing, but I doubt you'll be able to get everyone in the same room at once to watch it all together (maybe during a troop meeting in a side room).

Yeah, that was my next suggestion.  Our council has all the DVDs for troops to borrow.  If you use the DVD, you don't have to worry about the video buffering in the middle of the thing, but I doubt you'll be able to get everyone in the same room at once to watch it all together (maybe during a troop meeting in a side room).

My pack uses the DVD. We do a session right before recharter and that helps the recharter go smoothly.

I have found that asking people to do it on their own is problematic. Doing it as a group ensures it gets done.

Yep. I have done it engroupe, but then you have to get the DE to "fersure" list the names and such in the Council records so the folks can do their Scout thing . If the Unit keeps it "in house", well, that's ok too. Just keep your records

straight and handy.

Yep. I have done it engroupe, but then you have to get the DE to "fersure" list the names and such in the Council records so the folks can do their Scout thing . If the Unit keeps it "in house", well, that's ok too. Just keep your records

straight and handy.

naw, just have one of your Unit Key-3 log into my.scouting.org and mark them "trained".  No DE involvement.

Edited by MrBob
  • Upvote 1