They Were "badges", Now "loops", But Actually Pins

Tonight I looked over at the Webelos' new leader manual.  I was so confused, seeing all the activity loops the Webelos earn in the new program.  I was really confused because I read that they would still keep their colors and be earning pins.  Webelos leader turned a page and sure enough they're pins, but called "loops".  That reminded me that they used to be called "badges", but still pins.  Why the heck can't Webelos just earn "pins"?  Why do they have to be called something other than what they are?  It's very confusing, though I guess it will be less so, now that there is no more sports and academic program with pins that are actually called "pins".

They are still earning pins to be worn on the Webelos Tri-Colors.  I'm betting the editors got confused with the lower Cub Scout ranks, and kept calling them loops since that is what Tigers, Wolves, and Bears are calling it.

On a slightly different tack, what are LDS units doing in regards to the Adventures; are you skipping Webelos and going directly to Arrow of Light, or are you making them earn both ranks in a year? 

Se my question on this page for more details.

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/27105-new-cub-scout-program/

On a slightly different tack, what are LDS units doing in regards to the Adventures; are you skipping Webelos and going directly to Arrow of Light, or are you making them earn both ranks in a year? 

Se my question on this page for more details.

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/27105-new-cub-scout-program/

Both.  Webelos leader was lamenting that she was going to have to do 3 days of den meetings, rather than the 2 they have been doing AND boys were going to have to do a lot at home.  She's going to do all required badges and change up the additionals needed.  

My older son earned all 20 activity badges when he was a webelos, but now there are more "loops" for webelos and more work.  I doubt my little boy will earn anything more than what's required.

On the Program Updates page at Scouting.Org there is a YouTube video called LDS New Program Orientation.  

The video points out that of the 14 total Adventures needed the two Duty to God Adventures are intended to be done with family.  That leaves 12 Adventures, one for each month.    Some of the Adventures could also be completed / worked on with the troop as part of the troop visits.  

Working on both Webelos and Arrow of Light might need some coordinating, but, it is very doable.

• Upvote 1