Update On Adult Leadership Standards

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, I'm upset because they're going to be having sex with the Scouts.

It happened, and we all knew it was coming. I have wanted local control ever since I learned how this all worked from the inside (i.e. once I went from a unit only volunteer to volunteering at higher

Long overdue. This is and has been the only route to resolution that made any sense, while maintaining the scouting ideal of respect for other faiths.

Posted Images

Certainly they exist, but their gods don't -- or if they do, they are not what one would ordinarily think of as gods.

That's not what YOU think of as gods, but they aren't you, obviously.  And if you're trying to define a word like "god", which is used very differently by different people, giving only one definition that doesn't fit everyone isn't very useful.

By the way, your god doesn't exist, either.  neener, neener.

When you capitalize the word, the common understanding is that you are referring to the Christian, Muslim and Jewish God. When you use lower case letters you are referring to other gods people might believe in. So if BSA capitalizes the word they are using the former reference, not the latter. If they mean to change their intended meaning in "duty to God" they might want to change their capitalization. 

That's not what YOU think of as gods, but they aren't you, obviously.  And if you're trying to define a word like "god", which is used very differently by different people, giving only one definition that doesn't fit everyone isn't very useful.

Well I'm not a nominalist so I'll stick to my definition.

When you capitalize the word, the common understanding is that you are referring to the Christian, Muslim and Jewish God. When you use lower case letters you are referring to other gods people might believe in. So if BSA capitalizes the word they are using the former reference, not the latter. If they mean to change their intended meaning in "duty to God" they might want to change their capitalization. 

So, you're saying anyone who doesn't follow the Abrahamic god can't be in the BSA?

So, you're saying anyone who doesn't follow the Abrahamic god can't be in the BSA?

I'm saying what I said. It was pretty clear. I will repeat.

If BSA did not mean the God of Jews, Christians and Muslims, then they should not have used the capitalized word God. If they meant just any old god or notion of a higher being not God, then they should use the lower case word god....or even gods.

Ever wonder why BSA after all these years has used, "...duty to God and my country", rather than "...duty to god(s) and my country"?

Remember, People, under the brave new BSA world, this is where you take a long deep breath and skip over this part.  It's become not all that important anyway.

Ever wonder why BSA after all these years has used, "...duty to God and my country", rather than "...duty to god(s) and my country"?

Remember, People, under the brave new BSA world, this is where you take a long deep breath and skip over this part.  It's become not all that important anyway.

I guess in my neck of the woods it is not that much an issue. Here, red or blue, there are three things you'll have to pry out of our cold, dead hands are our Bibles (or Torrah or Koran), our US flag and our guns. ;)

We are those simple folks everyone makes fun of.

• Upvote 1