Parent Raging At A Scout

Sorry, but when trust is broken to the extent demonstrated by this woman, I would no longer want her to be anywhere near any of the boys in the troop.  It is my responsibility to keep the boys safe and this woman has demonstrated she cannot control herself around the boys in the troop.  I wouldn't tolerate the first time she did it, and I would do everything in my power to make sure she never had an opportunity to do it again.  Take it out on some soccer or baseball coach's watch, just don't do it on mine.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think for one minute that everyone on the forum is not sympathetic to the victim.  Yes, the last thing this kid needs is some stupid adult taking him to the cleaners.  I think the only argumen

What is this? This mom, parent, adult just verbally abused, bullied, and swore at one of the scouts in the troop (not her own) in front of all the troop members at camp. BAD DAY? Even on my worst day

First off she needs to be shown the door ASAP.  Next I would be way more worried about many of the other parents getting wind of this and pulling their sons out. The fact that she holds some position

Other than sleep depravation, hello up at 5 for something or another, camp shouldn't be stressful at all. And yeah, Momma Bear hadn't stayed at camp. She just arrived family night and had been up for "ice cream night."

- Like Stosh said just have to sneak in and get a little cat nap in the afternoon.

Eagle77, I don't blame anyone for not being sensitive to Grumpysaurus' needs because nobody has a crystal ball. Sensitivity is what adults that KNOW and care about him are for. And we were correcting, sitting out with and guiding him all along.

-  I'm sorry if I came on a little too strong about this. After reading one of your later posts stating that the boy was having some problems at home as well I think mom or dad need to take a hit on this too. Sometimes parents like to dump their problems on to someone else to fix. If dad said he wasn't in a good state of mind to begin with maybe the boy would have been better off staying home. I've had to deal with homesickness, illness, and hard headedness just never lost or had to send anybody home from camp for these. Maybe I'm just lucky. We always need to remember that each and every case is different because each scout is different too.

Let me share this with you. A few years back I had a scout who's grandfather had died a week or so before camp. Mom told me when we left she asked him if he wanted to stay home and told her no. He wasn't being a pain but I could tell he was just there and not enjoying himself. Well one evening he and his buddy came up to the SPL who was talking to me and let him know they were going to the TP, I then reached in my pocket for some money and asked him to get me two bags of M & M with peanuts. He said sure and they headed off. They came back a little later and he gave me the candy and turned to walk away. I said thank you and handed one of the bags to him, he didn't say anything but he did smile. From that night on till the end of camp never saw him frown and he was having a great time. Well two years later I had to step down as SM because of a shift change at work, not long after that he and his family moved down to VA. Well a few months ago I received an e-mail from his mom telling me that he was getting his Eagle and I would be getting an invite to it. He and two of his cousins who lived up here, were all going to be presented Eagle together. Well last month I went to the ECOH walked in the door and there was this big guy, he had really grown since I saw him last. Walked over to him and shook his hand. I then reached into my pocket and pulled out two bags of M & M with peanuts. Tears came to his eyes and he just reached over and gave me a big bear hug. HE then told me you remembered. I told him I couldn;t forget. Well he went to meet some of the other guests that had arrived and I asked his mom what was that all about? She said when her dad was alive he liked them too and her son would sit on his lap and eat them with him. You just never know what might kick start something.

She may not have known his situation any more than the good folk here. But all the more reason to leave discipline to the SM & ASMs that do know him.

I really tried to be as objective as possible and tried to see/present him from her (limited) perspective. But honestly, I'm just getting more disgusted. No child deserves her attack and completely innocent boys suffered to witness it as adults were as impotent to stop her as they were.

- This is the one main reason that I cannot stand family nights. For the most part I'm trying to keep an eye on the parents more then I spend watching the scouts.

Sorry, but when trust is broken to the extent demonstrated by this woman, I would no longer want her to be anywhere near any of the boys in the troop.  It is my responsibility to keep the boys safe and this woman has demonstrated she cannot control herself around the boys in the troop.  I wouldn't tolerate the first time she did it, and I would do everything in my power to make sure she never had an opportunity to do it again.  Take it out on some soccer or baseball coach's watch, just don't do it on mine.

Totally agree with this. She crossed the line that you can not come back from. No excuse for it whatsoever.