Hey, I finally convinced my non-denominational church to do a Scout Sunday. (Well, the worship lay pastor is a newly appointed Tiger Leader, I tapped into that! Gotta use your resources!) But they aren't real big into Scouting, most of the parents focus more on the youth programs within the church. Although their are several youth in the church that are into Scouting. We'll probably end up with atleast 20 kids in uniform, boy and cub scouts.

They never have done this before, and I have never attended a Scout Sunday. Do any of you have any resources or suggestions as to what to do? What you do do in your churches?

Our troop usually goes to a worship service then we all get together for a breakfest somewhere near by. (We don't require the kisd to go to church so we don't offend anybody its voluntarily) We do incourage them to go to the breakfest with their families cuase the troop pays for it.

Since your church may not be real understanding of Scouting, I would work it in slowly. Your presence alone will probably speak volumes. Getting the worship leader to recognize you would be a great plus.

Here are a few other ideas that are fairly basic, that you may not be ready for, but may work up to in future years.

1. Let the boys serve in some way. Our sponsor has Scouts pass the offering trays.

2. Write a summary of the past year (highlighting community service, advancement and religious awards). Publish it in the weekly bulletin or have it read aloud.

3. Have the scout leader stand and thank the church for its support.

4. Highlight scouting's religious aspects (A Scout is Reverent, duty to God, etc.) in some way.

Thanks for all your help. Our church itself has no charters for scouting, only members that are in scouting. And I was already thinking of the scouts, coming in uniform and serving in areas where others could have a break like greeters, servers in kitchen, and maybe even communion and offering. I just didn't know if any of you did anything more for that day.

The lay Pastor for Worship happens to also be a Tiger Leader. He was asking about the ministry moment and whether we should speak to how Scouts serve God in what we do. For that I was drawing a blank.

Frankly, I think it will be enough for us to serve in the worship roles. Being in uniform and serving God within the church I think will speak volumes about Scouting. And your right, the focus is about the Lord, not Scouting.

"Attend in uniform. No real change is needed from the church service in question. The focus of the service should NOT be on the Scouts themselves."

Acco gives good advice. Also, keep in mind that any participation beyond this may depend upon the religious affiliation of both the scouts and the "host" community. In some religious communities, liturgical participation is restricted to initiated members. Furthermore, scouts' participation may be dependent upon their own religion as well.

To my knowledge, most Protestant churches have open communion for Christians. Catholics and Orthodox do not. In my experience, synagogues have allowed veneration of the Torah by fellow "people of the book" but you may want to check. As far as "high church" protestants like Episcopals and some Lutherans go, it may vary. In general, would suggest that if a scout cannot receive communion, he should not be involved in the offertory or similar liturgical function. Scouts should participate as far as their faith and the church in question allows. Remember that liturgical actions often symbolize a specific faith and communion with a specific tradition or authority. It can be disrespectful to both parties when a scout is forced to participate in manner not appropriate to his religious understanding or affiliation.

Girl Scout Week, like Boy Scout Week, celebrates the beginning of Girl Scouting in the USA. The "birthday" of Girl Scouting in the USA is March 12. Juliette Gordon Low's birthday is October 31. World Thinking Day is a day to think and learn about, Girl Scouts and Girl Guides around the world.

Most religious organizations use Scout Sunday to recognize those of their members who have earned religious medals that year.

Our church is very pro scouting. Scout Sunday mass is very special. The banners made by the boys earning their Parvuli Dei religious emblem are used to decorate the church. All of the servers and minsters are either boys or Scouters. All of the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and their leaders, in uniform, gather at the back of the church and process in before the Pastor. We carry in the American flag and the Pack and Troop flags. The boys and the leaders sit together in the first pews in the church. During the mass, the religious emblems are blessed, a little is told about each one. Then the Scouts and Scouters are presented their medals while an ASM sing "On My Honor". After the mass we have coffee, juice and patries in our Parish Hall for the Scouts and their families.

You can do as much or as little as you and your church like. I would reccomend including the religious emblems if any have earned them though.