Training Experience Is A Negative?

With my time as SM drawing to a close, I admit to thinking about sipping the BSA Koolaide.  So I looked into the hoops required for an old hoot to pass on his knowledge as a trainer: 

"Part 2: Trainer's EDGE - August 22, 2015

This is the second part of the three-part Train-The-Trainer Continuum. The Trainer's Edge focuses on the participant, while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience. Only practice can polish these skills, but this course is intended to "train the trainer" on behaviors and resources while offering hands-on experience in methods and media. Whatever your training position, you can benefit from this course! (This is required for all Wood Badge and NYLT staff. Retake every three years.) Training will begin at 8 AM and conclude at 5 PM."

So after actually teaching in the field for 3 years you have to come back and be re-indoctrinated, because your experience using the BSA tools has taught you that they don't work?

Retake every three years.

Back to beer and wine.  No Koolaide for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Bad Wolf on this one.   80 to 90 percent of District and Council effort is recruiting, fundraising, and paperwork.  They do the things that line their pockets and strengthen their control.

I am training my unit and my kids. I am fulfilling my role to keep the unit strong and deliver on the BSA promise to the boys and adults of my unit...which is what the program is about. We teach WRFA,

With my time as SM drawing to a close, I admit to thinking about sipping the BSA Koolaide.  So I looked into the hoops required for an old hoot to pass on his knowledge as a trainer:    "Part 2: T

I have a  boat load of experience with just about anything BSA has to offer, former EMT-A, ministry, camping, fishing, hiking, canoeing, 45 years of working with youth, 35 of them in Scouting, etc. etc. etc. and I don't teach anyone but boys.  No WB, no NYLT, no basic training, nothing.  I don't even do U of Scouting anymore.  By the time one gets through the politics, it just isn't worth it.  When I get done with Scouting, it's going to be just me and the Mrs. and she's just as trained as I am.  So we'll just go and have a good time instead.  The Mrs. likes a glass of wine when she sits by the fire.  That's the only thing I have to remember.

Edited by Stosh

Guess I shouldn't be a trainer. Last time I did "Train the Trainer" was back in 1994 when I was on JLT staff, and it was part of the staff training. Never taken Trainer's E.D.G.E. before

Guess my minor in secondary education don't count.

Guess my job as a  teacher-counselor for a "Hoods in da Woods" organization doesn't count.

Guess my old PT job of teaching college history doesn't count.

Guess my current FT job of working an an education department teaching CPR and how to deal with out of control people doesn't count.

Guess my two times at NCS don't count much

And I guess the past 30+ years of teaching various courses to adults counts.

Looks like our brand new district training chair, who just became a Boy Scout leader in June will need to find someone else to work with him on training.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, scouters who've taken the Train the Trainer course seem to come back with better presentation skills. Before this course was widely available, some of those presentations were real sleepers.

It's on my bucket list, but meanwhile I'm having too much fun in the field. Unfortunately that means re-updating BSA guard and Wilderness first aid every other year. Other scouters have a lot to do in their respective fields. I'm pretty sure updating this one every three years is not on most of their agendas.

I see an opportunity here.

When the next Woodbadge recruiter calls to ask me to take his course, I can check his "Trainer's EDGE' date.

I have no problem with taking a course to update presentation skills.  Technology changes fast.  Having to RETAKE the same course after you've had 3 years in the field to polish a skill-set would be a waste of time; and indicative of the BSA mindset that I hereby choose not to deal with.

Edited by JoeBob

I see an opportunity here.

When the next Woodbadge recruiter calls to ask me to take his course, I can check his "Trainer's EDGE' date.

I have no problem with taking a course to update presentation skills.  Technology changes fast.  Having to RETAKE the same course after you've had 3 years in the field to polish a skill-set would be a waste of time; and indicative of the BSA mindset that I hereby choose not to deal with.

I have held seminars for the public that include wood tools, fire building, and the basics of cast iron cooking on open campfires.  They tend to run about 3 hours and thus far NO ONE has complained about my teaching skills and as a matter of fact tend to sign up for other woodcraft skills seminars I teach.

I've never had to take a BSA course to prepare me for these seminars.  Of course I have to PAY to get BSA training and then I get to teach for free as a volunteer.  With the wood craft seminars I don't need to pay for training and I get paid for doing the seminar.  BSA seems to have the system a bit eschew. 

• Upvote 1

'Round these parts, at least, the training folks aren't about training.  They're the high priesthood of Scouting, there to protect the Good Ol' Boy network from outsiders, interlopers and other assorted heathen and to ensure that only the Chosen receive the coveted third bead or (lowering voice, casting eyes toward ground) a Fourth Bead.

I've never notice instructional quality to be one of their hallmarks.

• Upvote 1

Flavor Aid is what Jim Jones used to kill his followers.  Even I don't think that BSA is trying to kill us.

Intentionally.

Well if they intentionally tried to kill us, I think our survival chances would dramatically improve.  :laugh:

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

A couple of days ago the Mrs. and I were having date night and stopped for dinner.  When asked what I wanted to drink, I asked what they had.  Pepsi products, coffee, tea, and different flavors of lemonade.  I said I wanted the lemon flavored lemonade.  She paused for a moment to stop and think whether they had that flavor or not then finally answered, "Oh, yes, the original lemonade."  The scary part of it was stopping to think that by the time I get to the nursing home, it will be these people running it.  God help us all!