Training Experience Is A Negative?

The bad districts we speak of do not want help, nor change.   Offer to help, and you are refused.  Make suggestions and receive stony silence as feedback.   Or condescension. 

The district is not an essential organizer for multi-unit events.    Units can contact other units and put together their own encampment or hike or whatever.   Works just fine.

I get it - there are districts out there with entrenched good old boys that make it hard for people like you to volunteer I also know that giving up and sitting back griping isn't going to change things - and if it's that bad for you, it's likely to be that bad for the other units.

It can change - it takes a little work, but it can change - you've actually already suggested one way to start change - organizing multi-unit events on your own.  If other units are feeling the same way, go ahead and organize your own "camporee" or first aid meet, or orienteering match, or Klondike with the other units - and make a point of tweaking the district folks by holding yours on the same days/weekends as the official district events.  If the strongest units start doing multi-unit activities on their own, it's going to be noticed.  It also gives you folks the chance to work with each other strategize - you've just created a mini-district within your district.  If you can get enough COR's to back you and can get them to go to the next annual meeting, you can walk in and install your own slate over the official nominated slate - it's the COR's votes that count.  Then you can dismantle the old boys network.  Impossible?  Not at all - others have done it in the past.  Could the DE get perturbed at you and try to cause problems?  Sure - but you just his/her boss and tell them that none of the units in your camp will be doing FOS or popcorn sales.  What are they going to do, revoke the charters of their strongest units? 

Or maybe it's time to change the model completely - ake it easy for folks - have Councils hire programming staff who will staff and run pinewood derbies, camporees, first aid meets, trainings, and stuff that volunteers have been doing for decades - but we better find something other than popcorn to sell because the fundraising to keep that kind of monster running will be brutal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Bad Wolf on this one.   80 to 90 percent of District and Council effort is recruiting, fundraising, and paperwork.  They do the things that line their pockets and strengthen their control.

I am training my unit and my kids. I am fulfilling my role to keep the unit strong and deliver on the BSA promise to the boys and adults of my unit...which is what the program is about. We teach WRFA,

With my time as SM drawing to a close, I admit to thinking about sipping the BSA Koolaide.  So I looked into the hoops required for an old hoot to pass on his knowledge as a trainer:    "Part 2: T

I get it - there are districts out there with entrenched good old boys that make it hard for people like you to volunteer I also know that giving up and sitting back griping isn't going to change things - and if it's that bad for you, it's likely to be that bad for the other units.

It can change - it takes a little work, but it can change - you've actually already suggested one way to start change - organizing multi-unit events on your own.  If other units are feeling the same way, go ahead and organize your own "camporee" or first aid meet, or orienteering match, or Klondike with the other units - and make a point of tweaking the district folks by holding yours on the same days/weekends as the official district events.  If the strongest units start doing multi-unit activities on their own, it's going to be noticed.  It also gives you folks the chance to work with each other strategize - you've just created a mini-district within your district.  If you can get enough COR's to back you and can get them to go to the next annual meeting, you can walk in and install your own slate over the official nominated slate - it's the COR's votes that count.  Then you can dismantle the old boys network.  Impossible?  Not at all - others have done it in the past.  Could the DE get perturbed at you and try to cause problems?  Sure - but you just his/her boss and tell them that none of the units in your camp will be doing FOS or popcorn sales.  What are they going to do, revoke the charters of their strongest units? 

Or maybe it's time to change the model completely - ake it easy for folks - have Councils hire programming staff who will staff and run pinewood derbies, camporees, first aid meets, trainings, and stuff that volunteers have been doing for decades - but we better find something other than popcorn to sell because the fundraising to keep that kind of monster running will be brutal.

Which is exactly what we do. All of this.

Don't get me wrong, our unit used to RUN our district.....for years. We staffed the heck out of it, made sure no one unit controlled the district, offered great events and training and unit assistance. Even had a unit assistance fund. About 15 years ago we got a DE that killed all that and ticked off nearly every unit that we all stayed away. District got all staffed up with a good ole boy network and they're still there....hence my position.

With reluctance, I'm moving this to I&P.  There's a lot of commentary on the usefulness (lack thereof) of districts and councils.

This needs to be there.

I&P??

We were actually getting to a discussion about how to re-model districts if they don't seem to work. That's a real discussion.

C'mon, let's not silence debate on a topic just because there's disagreement.

• Upvote 1

Bad Wolf, nobody has been "silenced." And anyone looking for the topic can still find it since there is a "redirect" in the Training section.

I would also say that on a personal note, the melodrama when a moderator makes a judgment call, including phrases like "silence debate", is really not necessary.

Bad Wolf, nobody has been "silenced." And anyone looking for the topic can still find it since there is a "redirect" in the Training section.

I would also say that on a personal note, the melodrama when a moderator makes a judgment call, including phrases like "silence debate", is really not necessary.

...nor is moving a thread to I&P that is not taking a political tone. Heck, you could move 3/4 of the current threads there using that definition. The reasoning for the move is silly. Just sayin'.