2016 Boy Scout Requirements

For me, the FC is the minimum amount of knowledge for a scout to go out and survive on his own.  If mastered he would be an excellent woodsman.  It's the meat and potatoes of the program.  If nothing else, I want all my boys to be FC, a REAL FC scout.  Once there, Star, Life and Eagle are the frosting on the cake.  This is where the maturity, the practical, the field work of the program happen.  It isn't just meeting requirements, it is growing up part of the program.  

If the boy gets FC by pencil whipping in 12-18 months and has not mastered the basics, they will not be a real FC scout, nor will they be a real Star Scout, Life Scout or real Eagle scout.  It's kinda like the high school graduate that can't read.  They are out there, they have the diploma, but they really aren't real HS graduates that people assume have been educated and are literate..

The really sad part of the process is that the difference between a Real Eagle and Paper Eagle is often times glaringly obvious.  BUT as is always brought to everyone's attention... they have met the requirements.  To me, meeting the requirements means nothing.  A Real Eagle has a quality about him that sets him apart and there's no requirement for that in the book.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We really gotta stop worrying about the folks doing the bare minimum. Some boys were getting a "bare minimum" citizenship training so we created THREE SEPARATE REQUIRED BADGES all with clusters of bar

No, but its a far cry from "Hello, Webelo... here's your Scout badge.  Summer Camp is in two weeks; shall we schedule your FC BOR tonight?".       I don't see anything untoward about an eleven-yea

For me, the FC is the minimum amount of knowledge for a scout to go out and survive on his own.  If mastered he would be an excellent woodsman.  It's the meat and potatoes of the program.  If nothing

The really sad part of the process is that the difference between a Real Eagle and Paper Eagle is often times glaringly obvious.  BUT as is always brought to everyone's attention... they have met the requirements.  To me, meeting the requirements means nothing.  A Real Eagle has a quality about him that sets him apart and there's no requirement for that in the book.

I agree with your entire post, but I'll argue in some cases that both types of Eagles have not met the requirements.  And I will put most of the blame on what I'm about to say on adult leaders and not the scouts.  Too often I think leaders rubber stamp awards and achievements.  The Guide to Advancement is very clear on this - no one is permitted to add to, subtract from, or otherwise change requirements.  Yet it happens all the time.  And unfortunately I think the Guide also says once something is awarded, it can't be withdrwan, even if if it turns out it was improperly awarded.  How often do scouts just sit through a class or presentation on a topic and then receive credit for "Demonstate <insert skill>"?  It's the scout equivalent of a trophy for showing up.  I could go on with examples of scouts just getting passed along with limited completion of the real requirements, but I think you all probably get what I'm saying.

• Upvote 1

Ironically Stosh your definition of First Class is how it was pushed in the traditional program, but changed when the BSA started encouraging your same age patrols system with the NSP and FCFY program. The natural intuitive result was every scout in the patrol advancing together at the same pace, which disregarded scouts advancing at their own choosing or maturity. Advancement became more about stature and less about development. 

Sadly the BSA has been changing the requirements to fit a more self-serving marketing agenda instead of a character development agenda. It became obvious for me when they added requirements for Webelos to visit troops and fill out Troop applications.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad

The document is a comparison chart from what is currently listed in the Boy Scout Handbook to what will be in the new Boy Scout handbook. I have the 2014 printing of the BSH, which actually was reprinted from the 2012 printing and prior to January 1, 2014. So, Cooking is not listed in the current handbook, but was updated in the 2014 Boy Scout Requirements book

So if this is a comparison of what is currently in the book, to what WILL BE in the new book, and Cooking isn't listed under the new requirements, Me thinks the need books needs more editing before coming out.

Cooking is listed in the New requirements, just not in the Current requirements. 

Since BSA is playing around with the requirements all the time,  why should anyone be surprised that units leaders, Scouts and parents don't take them seriously either?

... spoken like a modern man in a post-modern society.

Someone must have made you drink too much "timeless values" bug juice. ;)

Edited by qwazse
  • Downvote 1

Sadly the BSA has been changing the requirements to fit a more self-serving marketing agenda instead of a character development agenda.

Maybe it's just me but most of the requirements for Eagle have little to do with character development. The BSA seems to believe that they can quantify what Eagle means in terms of a set of check boxes. But character is really something that is difficult to quantify and scoutmasters are not trusted to make those decisions. I think that's the real problem. The changes in requirements are just busy work. The real issue is developing scoutmasters the BSA can trust and letting them do their job. Where have I heard this before? Train them, trust them, and let them be?

I'm in full violation by telling my older scouts I'll never sign their Eagle app if the younger scouts don't look up to them. Yet that and a discussion of how they can get to that point and they're much better scouts.

Maybe it's just me but most of the requirements for Eagle have little to do with character development. The BSA seems to believe that they can quantify what Eagle means in terms of a set of check boxes. But character is really something that is difficult to quantify and scoutmasters are not trusted to make those decisions. I think that's the real problem. The changes in requirements are just busy work. The real issue is developing scoutmasters the BSA can trust and letting them do their job. Where have I heard this before? Train them, trust them, and let them be?

I'm in full violation by telling my older scouts I'll never sign their Eagle app if the younger scouts don't look up to them. Yet that and a discussion of how they can get to that point and they're much better scouts.

I agree the actual requirements do little to develop character. However, I think the MBs that are required -- *IF* they are done in earnest -- will do a great deal to forge a well-rounded, high-character person. All the Citizenships, First Aid, E-Prep, Family Life, etc., are all badges that have giving of one's self at the forefront. If the MBC truly has the scout dig deep and earn those requirements for each badge you CAN end up with a scout that is of strong character.

However, most of those badges are earned at summer camps or MB colleges where "depth of learning" is nothing more than paying lip service to the requirements. 

Sometimes I think there should be some type of field final exam for some or all ranks.  Just look at all the paper Eagles who don't know a fraction of what is supposedly mastered.  I was not heavily involved in scouting as a kid - got more involved as an adult - so I don't say this by saying my experience was more real.  But I always held Eagles in high esteem.  I thought they could do anything and would be the people I'd want to be with in real survival situation.  I propose a new scouting rank - Real Eagle.  The only difference between it and the current Eagle is a final exam.  To pass, the scout gets dropped off in the woods 50 miles from civilization with only a pack he packed completely himself and is given 1 week to make it home.  I wonder how many "Eagles" would even be willing to take the test?  

Only partially joking suggestion over 

Love the idea.  The only problem is finding a place 50 miles away from civilization.  Not too many of those place exist east of the Mississippi.

The field testing used to be part of the original requirements in Scouting.  Maybe we ought to bring it back.

One doesn't need 50 miles, but I bet a 10 mile into the woods walk, taking observations, recording a journal, practicing skills, camping overnight, and returning doing the same observations, journaling, etc. would be better than a pencil-whipped check mark for Scout Spirit.

Oh, it'll never work, the boy would need to so this ALONE, AT NIGHT, WITHOUT SUPERVISION?  WHAT IF IT RAINS?   That's never going to happen today.  There are many cultures out there that do this sort of thing as a coming of age for young men.  We're not asking our scouts to kill a lion, just participate in a vision quest.  The goal is not to prove his skills in the woods, but to go and seek himself there in the woods.  The OA ordeal is supposed to be something like this, but it's rather contrived and symbolic at best.  I'm suggesting the real deal instead.

The field testing used to be part of the original requirements in Scouting.  Maybe we ought to bring it back.

One doesn't need 50 miles, but I bet a 10 mile into the woods walk, taking observations, recording a journal, practicing skills, camping overnight, and returning doing the same observations, journaling, etc. would be better than a pencil-whipped check mark for Scout Spirit.

Oh, it'll never work, the boy would need to so this ALONE, AT NIGHT, WITHOUT SUPERVISION?  WHAT IF IT RAINS?   That's never going to happen today.  There are many cultures out there that do this sort of thing as a coming of age for young men.  We're not asking our scouts to kill a lion, just participate in a vision quest.  The goal is not to prove his skills in the woods, but to go and seek himself there in the woods.  The OA ordeal is supposed to be something like this, but it's rather contrived and symbolic at best.  I'm suggesting the real deal instead.

I agree in principle. The adventure need not be a one size fits all either. Imagine if thus quest was designed, planned and rhen executed by the Scout. It could be a backpacking adventure along a trail like the AT, or a canoe trip along a route in the BWCA or an off trail canping trip into the Adirondacks. While the "alone" aspect is a great idea, I think a significant adventure with two boys together would be fantastic. Perhaps one of the "requirements" would involve some aspect of soloing. Jyst thinking aloud here. While the Eagle award has a project, perhaps the FC rank could have the quest , and each succeeding award would entail another adventure? The FC Quest, The Star Search, The Life Journey, The Eagle Adventure.

• Upvote 1

I agree in principle. The adventure need not be a one size fits all either. Imagine if thus quest was designed, planned and rhen executed by the Scout. It could be a backpacking adventure along a trail like the AT, or a canoe trip along a route in the BWCA or an off trail canping trip into the Adirondacks. While the "alone" aspect is a great idea, I think a significant adventure with two boys together would be fantastic. Perhaps one of the "requirements" would involve some aspect of soloing. Jyst thinking aloud here. While the Eagle award has a project, perhaps the FC rank could have the quest , and each succeeding award would entail another adventure? The FC Quest, The Star Search, The Life Journey, The Eagle Adventure.

This is a very good idea

Unfortunately the requirements are for individuals, not groups.  At least in the original format of BSA.  By the time some SM's get done interpreting the requirement, the advancement will simply be filled by just a standard outing for the troop.  It's kinda like the group promotion process many Eagle mill troops are already doing.

I basically threw this out there more of a show of what was done in the past and what will probably never happen again in the BSA.