2016 Boy Scout Requirements

IMHO,  part of getting them to understand MBs is using the Webelos Adventures in a very similar manner to MBs, i.e. get "experts" to work on them with the Cub Scouts.

We are going to try something like this for this year.  There will be a formal Den Leader, but we will have different other adults instruct the various adventure pins.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We really gotta stop worrying about the folks doing the bare minimum. Some boys were getting a "bare minimum" citizenship training so we created THREE SEPARATE REQUIRED BADGES all with clusters of bar

No, but its a far cry from "Hello, Webelo... here's your Scout badge.  Summer Camp is in two weeks; shall we schedule your FC BOR tonight?".       I don't see anything untoward about an eleven-yea

For me, the FC is the minimum amount of knowledge for a scout to go out and survive on his own.  If mastered he would be an excellent woodsman.  It's the meat and potatoes of the program.  If nothing

Wasn't that the requirements back in 7th or 8th Edition?

Edited:   Sorry, I my reading comprehension isn't so good tonight.   Yes, First Aid MB was required for FC...I checked my old 8th edition, all of the MB requirements were in the back of the handbook.   Some of them generated interest when I was a scout, prompting me to attempt them.  I earned FC in '76.

RememberSchiff:   I agree, "Scout" should not be a rank.  

Edited by desertrat77

I still do not like the"work on any requirements for any rank at any time" business. This perpetuates the "one and done" problem as well as the "doing the bare minimum". Eliminating it would force real growth of the scout with those skills as they move along the continuum.

• Upvote 1

First Aid MB was no longer required for First Class in August 1989 when they did away with the time requirements, Skill Awards, etc and came out with OPERATION FIRST CLASS.

As for the Webelos Adventures aqnd doing them like MBs, I know of one mom who is going to have some challenges with the process. She is very outdoor oriented (hey you know you got a keeper when she's willing to  go backpacking on the AT for the honeymoon ;)  ) and took the hoodlums on a hike. After the hike, she decided to see what could get signed off  for the Wolf and Webelos.  There was even a little "debate" over who was going to use their first aid kit and do first aid on the youngest: Oldest with First Aid MB, or the Webelos who completed the First Responder Adventure at day camp. The Webelos won.

Numbers of other updates, additions, and clarifications.  Six total nights of camping for FC; sheetbend is now required for FC; actually demonstrating using clove hitch and timber hitches for each lashing, and making the device as well; using a GPS as well as compass; choking added to tenderfoot FA; specifying discussion of 4 laws for each rank, but must be different each time, so cover all of them; Star reviews the parent guide again that is needed to join; FC adds boat descriptions and their oars or paddles; Life service to include minimum 3 hours of conservation; other minor changes; and additional specific detail added to most of the requirements so can be far less conjecture.  They also have officially made Scout a rank, and it has double the original joining requirements, many of which were in Tenderfoot before.

Time will tell, but to me, they seem to be tacitly making advancement at the lower end far more challenging, which is a good thing.

Numbers of other updates, additions, and clarifications.  Six total nights of camping for FC; sheetbend is now required for FC; actually demonstrating using clove hitch and timber hitches for each lashing, and making the device as well; using a GPS as well as compass; choking added to tenderfoot FA; specifying discussion of 4 laws for each rank, but must be different each time, so cover all of them; Star reviews the parent guide again that is needed to join; FC adds boat descriptions and their oars or paddles; Life service to include minimum 3 hours of conservation; other minor changes; and additional specific detail added to most of the requirements so can be far less conjecture.  They also have officially made Scout a rank, and it has double the original joining requirements, many of which were in Tenderfoot before.

Time will tell, but to me, they seem to be tacitly making advancement at the lower end far more challenging, which is a good thing.

I agree. I like the changes.  I especially like the additional camping nights (that don't count more than one night of summer camp).  Personally, for the most part, I find that the most scoutlike of scouts camp a lot. We have one exception (a boy with Asperger's who rarely misses a campout), but for the most part, our frequent campers are our better scouts, not just in terms of scout skills, but in overall scout spirit. 

I still do not like the"work on any requirements for any rank at any time" business. This perpetuates the "one and done" problem as well as the "doing the bare minimum". Eliminating it would force real growth of the scout with those skills as they move along the continuum.

I have mixed feelings on that.  One one hand, I do agree with you about the bare minimum. On the other hand, we often get scouts who get bottlenecked on a single requirement for Tenderfoot (namely the Physical fitness part), and it would be a shame for them to be delayed for that. 

I have mixed feelings on that.  One one hand, I do agree with you about the bare minimum. On the other hand, we often get scouts who get bottlenecked on a single requirement for Tenderfoot (namely the Physical fitness part), and it would be a shame for them to be delayed for that. 

I like the idea of one rank at a time.  If the boy gets hung up on one requirement, why are they taking their focus off that to do other things?  and if they get "hung up for 30 days on the TF requirement for physical fitness, what's the big deal.  Learning a little patience and focusing on an important task is more important to me than making the 3 ranks (now 4) on one year plan a lot of troops shoot for.

My troop is just over 1 year old and no one has yet to earn the TF rank.  We went out last night and worked on their 5-mile compass hike and didn't finish after 3 hours.  They learned a ton of stuff about coming to the event better prepared next time we go after it.

There's a lot more learning going on than what's being pencil whipped in the book.

Personally, for the most part, I find that the most scoutlike of scouts camp a lot. We have one exception (a boy with Asperger's who rarely misses a campout), but for the most part, our frequent campers are our better scouts, not just in terms of scout skills, but in overall scout spirit. 

Could it be that "OUTING is three-fourths of ScOUTING." ?

Or maybe "ScOUTING IS OUTING!" ?

Sorry I couldn't resist quoting Green Bar Bill. ;)

• Upvote 1

My troop is just over 1 year old and no one has yet to earn the TF rank.  We went out last night and worked on their 5-mile compass hike and didn't finish after 3 hours.  They learned a ton of stuff about coming to the event better prepared next time we go after it.

I agree @@Stosh, but I suspect a large number of kids in the program are here as resume builders. With all the stuff they are in to these days there's just no room (read with heavy sarcasm) for taking that long to learn anything.

Instant gratification marches on.

I think there's one error in the "current" requirements for Eagle: it does not list Cooking as a required MB.

So, tread carefully if you are trying to nail down 2015 requirements.

I got an explaination from Michael J. Lo Vecchio ...

The document is a comparison chart from what is currently listed in the Boy Scout Handbook to what will be in the new Boy Scout handbook. I have the 2014 printing of the BSH, which actually was reprinted from the 2012 printing and prior to January 1, 2014. So, Cooking is not listed in the current handbook, but was updated in the 2014 Boy Scout Requirements book.

So, don't let any of your Life Scouts see this and get it into their heads that they currently don't need Cooking.

Edited by qwazse

The document is a comparison chart from what is currently listed in the Boy Scout Handbook to what will be in the new Boy Scout handbook. I have the 2014 printing of the BSH, which actually was reprinted from the 2012 printing and prior to January 1, 2014. So, Cooking is not listed in the current handbook, but was updated in the 2014 Boy Scout Requirements book

So if this is a comparison of what is currently in the book, to what WILL BE in the new book, and Cooking isn't listed under the new requirements, Me thinks the need books needs more editing before coming out.

Edited by NJCubScouter
Moderator edit - putting in italics like you wanted - you need to use the square brackets, not the pointy brackets

Being able to work on the first several ranks at once is most helpful to lds scouts.  The 11 year old boys are only allowed to camp 3 times a year.  Boys enter scouts on their 11th birthday and move on to "regular lds" scouts on their 12th birthdays.  Boys come and go all during the year.  Being able to work on several ranks at once means that the campout a newly 11 year old boy goes on counts toward a rank and he isn't stuck later on, not being able to earn the rank until later on.  I don't know if it's my son's lds troop or it's this way with other lds troops, but in the past 6 months, they've gone on 1 campout.  A boy, who had to wait till 12 to earn whichever rank requires the three campouts would be waiting forever to get those campouts in!  Also, it's hard for the boys to get their camp cooking/food in when there are a very limited amount of campouts.  I do not think there is anything my son can do to get his troop to camp more often. 

I do not think there is anything my son can do to get his troop to camp more often. 

How often does the unit camp now?

Most units I know go 10-12 times a year. Some even more.