:) Slavery comes in many flavors varying from full fledged ownership to I own your soul.... 

We abolished the full blown type and replaced with indentured servitude.  If I paid your way to America, you owe me.... and I "own" you until the debt is paid.  This practice goes on yet today.  

Then there are the big corporations where the employees owe their soul to the company store.  

Then there's the political pawns that are pushed around the game board totally unaware of the consequences of those manipulating the game.  (Just think in terms of big city bosses.... You get the picture.)

Now with the entitlement movement in full swing, we have an entire subculture of people who cannot break out of the cycle of government dependence which the government loves because they know these people will never consider voting themselves into total poverty.

So, slavery in many respects is alive and well in America as it has been since day #1.

If you don't believe me, can someone come in and take your car?  Your home?  Your children? - Yes they do it all the time, just read the news.  If you think you're free, really free, guess again.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If one looks at the overall picture of what was going on in 1860, one would have to conclude that the entire "conversation" was centered around the problem of slavery.  Politically most of the congres

So, you really want me to start a Confederate Flag thread so we can re-fight the War of Northern Aggression?

You jest, but our one patrol (the Rebels, and yes their patch is what you think it is, and yes we have two black and two Native Americans in the patrol) asked the PLC if they had to change their name.

With a truly balanced understanding of the War, one can easily understand the dynamics playing out on both sides of the issue.  The last thing on anyone's mind either North or South was the issue of race.  That is a modern re-write of the historical account.

Even if that were true, it has nothing to do with the current "flag" issues. Like I said before, the current issues are not about what "the" flag(s) meant in the 1860's, it is about what they meant in the 1960's and since then. I don't think anyone can deny that in the 1960's (and 50's), the adoption of those flags was all about race. It was adopted as a symbol of the fight to protect segregation and of white supremacy. I think those flags should have come down a long time ago.

Yep they've trashed the meaning of a lot of perfectly good words over the years, too.

I still get called on the carpet for using words like homosexual, Negro, Indian, etc.  Well, they never were offensive words until someone out of the blue said they were.

Well, people, I'm white, I'm male, I'm not handicapped, so in order to no longer offend me, you can just call me Your Highness and kiss my... ah... er.... ring.  Yeah, ring, that's the ticket.

So to take a perfectly good historical icon and trash it seems to be a bit off base.  I guess I'll just keep trashing the anti-Indian, anti-Negro flag of today, you know the one our valiant soldiers died trying to defend,  EXCLUDING of course those who fought under the CSA's battle flag.  Their flag is a disgrace today and so is the soldier's reason for dying for it.

I've been reading through is as it has gone along. I have only one question. If the picture of the young man who did this was holding the stars and stripes would SC have even considered taking down the stars and bars?

'The flag' was destined to come down sooner or later. I think realistic persons involved in the compromise that put it on the lawn in the first place understood that. But no one had any idea of how long it might take. Like I've pointed out before, the NAACP boycott and the business community have been a long-standing and potent force in favor of its removal. It was just bad business. The photo you mention may have been the stimulus the politicians needed to take the action they took. It was just good business.

But lacking that photo, 'the flag' probably would have remained for a while, perhaps quite a while.

For me, the best thing about all this is that we no longer can use a symbol to distract us from real problems that need to be addressed. Now that symbol has been removed as an issue. Good. And now the politicians have one less excuse not to address real problems.

I no longer do business with a number of national accounts because of their stand on squelching free speech in America.  They can keep their Chinese made products, The price I pay extra is the cost of doing business correctly, not politically.

Until our law makers stop worrying about offending Latinos and worry more about protecting All Americans this is just going to continue. Look at how they hung Donald Trump out to dry for his remarks. Not a fan of his, but a good amount of what he said wasn't to far off the truth. Every time something like this comes up all you get is lip service, we don't have the money to protrect our borders or the manpower. I guess you wouldn't if all you worry about is the Middle East and Afganistan. We need an American President not some world peace-keeper.

This is why conceal carry.  More and more of this stuff is happening as our society fragments into small intolerant sects.  Next thing you know it we'll be back to feudal/tribal petty tyranny once again.

You know Stosh I have always supported ones right to bear arms. Never owned a gun myself, didn't hunt and really saw no need for it. A few years ago though I said enough is enough if my own government refuses to protect me and my family then I guess its up to me. Bought a gun joined a club and learned how to use my weapon.  Been packing since.

He never has been interested in justice. Tell you what when that young kid did the shooting in SC Obama came out and spoke down about slavery. Right after that he told his negotiators working on the Trans Pacific Partnership to lighten up on the rules against Malaysia's human trafficing. You know if I was a reporter I would not know how to approach this guy, you never no which end he is going to talk out of. What bothers me more then anything is the simple way the American people and Government is just letting him destroy our nation both at home and abroad.

• Upvote 1

In my state both open and conceal carry is allowed.  No permit to open carry, permit required for conceal carry.  It's kinda interesting how when you buy a coat, you need a permit.  :)  But then just because we have legislators who honor the 2nd Amendment doesn't mean they are exempt from making stupid laws.  

I used to do historical reenacting.  Traveling in the car the gun needed to be in a case, but if I carried a gun in a case away from the car it was illegal, but if I took it out of the case and walked into a school, it was okay.  In the winter, I had to be sure my coat was opened so my handgun and sword would be visible.  What's the sense of a winter coat if you can't button it?   

It is just easier to get the permit and not worry about it.  One needs to remember that the spouse needs the permit too.  If you leave your gun loaded in the glove box and she's driving, she could be in big trouble.