Maybe everyone is at summer camp.  I just got back Saturday.  But the most interesting topics are a couple re-hashed threads from a few years back.  Can't anyone gin-up a news article about a gay Scout getting married to spice things up?

Edited by Twocubdad
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If one looks at the overall picture of what was going on in 1860, one would have to conclude that the entire "conversation" was centered around the problem of slavery.  Politically most of the congres

So, you really want me to start a Confederate Flag thread so we can re-fight the War of Northern Aggression?

You jest, but our one patrol (the Rebels, and yes their patch is what you think it is, and yes we have two black and two Native Americans in the patrol) asked the PLC if they had to change their name.

Okay, I suppose I can go back to catching up on my sleep.

Speaking of which, who the heck lets Scouts chop wood at 5:30 on a Saturday morning? I don't think my guys know there is another 5:30 on the clock.

So, you really want me to start a Confederate Flag thread so we can re-fight the War of Northern Aggression?

You jest, but our one patrol (the Rebels, and yes their patch is what you think it is, and yes we have two black and two Native Americans in the patrol) asked the PLC if they had to change their name. The PLC said they could keep the name if the patrol wanted. The patrol took a vote and name and patch were unanimously kept.

If we ever have a UC visit I'm sure he'll have a cow, right after he confiscates the super soakers

• Upvote 1

Been wondering if citizens, even us Yankees, might rebrand the Confederate Flag for new battle(s) against government?

No. Nobody can. I think I can speak for most of the rest of the moderators in saying that we are just fine with boring at the moment. Ixnay on the ou-know-what-yay. :)

Ah, it's all about the moderators. You and Pack have been resisting discussions of the big changes, but it's going to blow here eventually. Nothing has been settled, the BSA is now a political badge one must wear if they join. Which is going to drive people to make a choice of not making a choice. It's not worth the hassle anymore.

Even you and Pack have to admit the irony of how inclusive policy changes are reducing the size of membership. It seems scouting really isn't for every boy. I'm sure there is a silver lining in there somewhere. 

Barry

I admit that BSA put itself into the political light...that happened a long time ago.

But regarding enrollment, I admit no such irony. There is no one who has produced causal evidence of much of anything. It's all correlation and speculation. Which is why, to me at least, such endless discussions about enrollment numbers are both fruitless and boring.

As far as scouting being for every boy, the issue was WHO made the decision: the boy and his family, or Irving, TX. I continue to be an advocate for personal liberty and local option.

• Upvote 1

A gay scout getting married while wearing a confederate battle flag jacket in an AME church and serving up the last male Northern White Rhino in the world as the main course at a reception at a Donald Trump golf course would be one heck of a topic.

I just have to get a thought off my chest regarding the confederate flag. 

If there's anything we've learned from the recent SCOTUS decisions, Caitlyn/Bruce and other news of the day, words and identities are all about how the individual perceives them and there are no more absolutes. 

Someone may have all the physical characteristics of a human male, but if he considers himself a female from another galaxy, then by golly that's what he is.

People should look at the confederate flag in the same light.  If someone considers it to be symbol for sunshine, puppies and ice cream, it must be that!  It's not what you think it is, it is what I think it is.

(only half joking when I type this, definitely half serious).

As far as Boooorring!:  I have news to report.  My son has now gone from "having" deodorant to "needing"  deodorant.  Hooray for deodorant!