Hi there. I'm the advisor for a brand new aviation crew in Logan, UT. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and hoping to find some wisdom and encouragement from more experienced leaders. :)

I ended up as advisor kind of by default. None of the other adults involved in starting the crew knew anything about scouting (out here all we really have are LDS troops. At their best, those are more like BSA themed youth groups than real troops. At their worst, they're just handing out awards - even eagle - for nothing more than attendance). So, I'm in the position of teaching and training not just the youth, but the other adults too. For example, the adults were all under the impression that the youth protection training was optional. The gentleman from council that was initially handling our paperwork, he just forged in the system that we'd all completed it. :/

I tend to be a very "by the book" kind of person, which this group obviously needs right now. When my kids were little, I was an amazing den leader. I was even a great committee chair and merit badge counselor. I'm struggling a bit with the open ended nature of venturing, though. I'm trying to gather a support system, and have a few adults involved now that are willing to help out when asked. I have one person I can turn to at council for help and advice. The registrar is amazing. At this point, I go in one afternoon each week and spend 2+ hours with her. It always starts as a couple simple questions, but the simple question always seems to highlight some other area she wants to be sure I understand. I have no idea what I'd do without her!

OK, this has gotten to be longer than I meant. Lol I'm off to read old threads.

@@Incorrigible careful with the training. To do the interesting outdoor stuff you need specialized training (e.g. WRFA, first aid, CPR/AED, shooting sports, etc). If you don't have it you're not covered by the insurance if something happens. Much of the training and paperwork is to cover your bum, not so much district and council. Get the training for the activities your group plans to do. Don't let anyone short cut you.

Edited by Bad Wolf

Our sponsor is THE business at our local airport. They hold a monthly breakfast that folks fly in from all over the country for. It's kind of like a car show for small planes. We're holding an airplane wash fundraiser during the breakfast each month. We have some local aviation students teaching a Jr ground school a couple times per month. There's an aviation jamboree a bit south of us next month that we're planning to fly in and attend. We're trying to set up our first flight toward the end of July though. We're doing our annual seminar in conjunction with the airport open house in a couple weeks. I know the kids have a bunch of ideas for activities, and we should have a nice rough calendar after that.

The initial group of kids came from the local homeschool community. An email went out. About 20 families showed up. A dozen kids signed up. Leaders were assigned. We have 9 regularly active crew members that show up to everything and participate. They're planning to invite the local press to an upcoming airplane wash and advertise the crew that way. Also, we're going to see about either flyers or in class presentations at the local tech high school and freshman aviation courses at the local colleges. We'll see from there, where we're at. The crew has decided on a maximum of 30 members. That's what the biggest plane we can access holds. ;)

Thanks for the tip. Our council doesn't seem to care much about that, so I think I'm going to have to be really persistent.

@@Incorrigible careful with the training. To do the interesting outdoor stuff you need specialized training (e.g. WRFA, first aid, CPR/AED, shooting sports, etc). If you don't have it you're not covered by the insurance if something happens. Much of the training and paperwork is to cover your bum, not so much district and council. Get the training for the activities your group plans to do. Don't let anyone short cut you.

@@Incorrigible, welcome to the forums.

Sounds like an awesome crew with an advisor who is to foolish to run way when called upon to serve. ;)

There are some great posts in the venturing section, and yes, a lot of us fly by the seat of our pants. But it's not healthy ... Get as many of your adults to your councils next

Venturing Leader Specific Training, the the council doesn't hold one, contact your area venturing commissioner, if your area doesn't respond, go regional.

Feel free to ask questions. Most of us have screwed in similar light bulbs, and we're pretty free with our advise.

Home School Aviation Venture Crew!   Why didn't I think of that!

As you may have noticed, there are few parents as dedicated to their kids success (and independence) as home schoolers.  I would definitely promote your crew thru that avenue, but make it a publicly aware thing too.

A thirty seat plane is the "smallest"  you have access to?  Wow.  What is that, a DC3 or a DASH8 ? 

Ditto the comments about training. And YOU need to insist on the YP training. That Council wonk needs to have his ears pinned back by the SE, or somebody, as that lack or forging can come back to bite you.

Good Scouting to you and your Venturers.  

I didn't know there was even such thing as a Venturing commissioner. I'll see who I can find. Training run by someone other than myself would be great! I was told the crew is responsible for it's own training. This area only seems to hold roundtables once per quarter, and other than that leader training is held at camps while the kids are doing other activities, and "units handle their own training". Though, if I can figure out when they're running it, we're generally welcome to join.

The 30 seater is the BIGGEST we have access to. I have no idea what kind of plane it is. I haven't seen it at the airport before. I assume it's kept at the SLC facility. I really know nothing about aviation. I'm in charge because I'm the only adult involved with scouting leadership experience. ;)

Edited by Incorrigible

Incorrigible:  Welcome to the forums.  A lot of us are retired and come on now and then. Some of us work early, write late, I used to work early  and write even earlier..
The YP is online, as a Scout Leader one has to sign on to MyScouting.org, and start off.  Lots of the required training is now on line.  

Have fun as you let your Venturers have fun....