Covered under "Courteous", no? ;)

Point taken in theory.. but in practice, lol?

Edit: OK, I'm thinking about the t-shirt I have from Click and Clack which is in Latin but loosely translates to "Unencumbered by the Thought Process". Maybe..."A scout is 'encumbered'"? How many of these kinds of problems could be eliminated or at least improved if people just thought about it little more?

Edited by packsaddle
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, first post. I'm currently ASPL and our troop has some problems I want to fix. Just going to collect ideas then bring them up to the SPL and Scoutmaster.   The first problem is sweari

Webelos III, part deux   Sometimes I wonder if parents really want their kids to grow up or just stay their lil' darlings forever, or at least until they are 45 and bored with living in the basement

On the issue of a "swear jar", it seems to me that the first step in cleaning up the troop's language is for the leaders (both adult and youth) to clearly establish that this behavior is unacceptable,

PL studied him for a while, and walked to the scouts tent, came back with the scouts gear, a spare tent, and the scouts share of the food.  Dumping it at the scouts feet he said " then you are on your own,  stay where we can see you, and if you change your mind let me know."

:laugh: I'd love to hear the rest of that story!

Paul Poundstone has a great bit about requesting the list of naughty words her kindergarten son wasn't allowed to use at school and being told that there was no list but that at the school they use school words.  That leads into imagining a child on the playground dropping something on their toe and yelling out "Protractor!"

Thomas Crapper:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Swearing( to tell the truth):  Mathew 5:34

Tinker's dam(n):  https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tinker's_damn

Other dam(n):  to condemn, make worthless, destroy in hell...

Bodily functions of various types, used as nouns, verbs , adjectives, adverbs.....

All  (and others)  can be replaced with better choices as means to express frustration, unexpected pain,  disgust,  anger, and other emotions.  Used as descriptive adjectives for no good real purpose or to only lend emphasis to what is otherwise a poor argument , they can likewise be replaced with a little thought with better choices.   Encourage those choices....

I wasn't trying to tell a story as much as set forth a clear example of actions ( or lack thereof ) having consequences. 

But Mr. Bob, if you want...  Scout Only Child was taken aback, but took the proffered gear and sullenly trudged off to a spot about 50 yards off.  We were camping in an open field so we could all watch him.   The PL told his patrol not to stare, just keep on doing what you were doing before. I think he was hoping Only Child would swallow his pride and come back.    but it was hard not to sneak a quick peek from time to time.   Only Child got his tent up in about an hour and a half.   Right after lunch he figured out he needed to cook his dinner, so he started gathering wood.  I think the SPL followed him at a distance but I am not sure.   The patrol ate about 5:30,  he was still trying to light a fire.  At 8:00 the Patrol  having finished with dinner and clean-up, was snacking on the cracker barrel stuff, and telling stories, (some true!)  around a blazing campfire.  Only Child?  Still trying to light his fire.  The PL kept the fire high late into the night, even when the other scouts were in their sleeping bags.  I was told the SPL and PL checked on him about 11:00 but I was sleeping by then.  I dont think he ever ate dinner.    Next morning we struck camp and headed home. When  Only Child's Mother pulled into the church parking lot, he ran to her car.  I never saw him again.  I guess the SM and his Mom had a heart to heart, but I was only 12 or 13 at the time and didn't pay much attention to boring grown up stuff

I know guys from Pittsburgh that use "Jag-off" as a term of endearment and as a vulgarity. Do they know not to use that around kids?.

We use it as neither. It refers to someone who his stuck in jaggers (i.e., briars, typically blackberries) so much that everyone else has to do his share of work.

We don't use it around kids (or if we do, it is a veiled term of endearment) because, well, it is their job to pick blackberries so Ma can make us pie for desert. ;)

Oh, and how much you are allowed to use it is proportional to how much you've labored in or around the steel industry. If management says it, they can expect the union representatives to bring a grievance within the hour.

Jag-off,   Jaggers,    from (?)   Jakers!  (from Wkipedia,  yes I watched it with my much younger son)....

:

Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks (or Jakers in Europe) is an animated half-hour children's television series. The show was animated using computer-generated imagery and broadcast in the United States on PBS Kids (English) from September 7, 2003[1] to January 24, 2007.[2]

The show chronicles the boyhood adventures of Piggley Winks, an anthropomorphic pig from Ireland, and how he relates these stories to his grandchildren as a grandfather in the present day.

The word "jakers" was originally a euphemism for "Jesus" in much of Ireland during the 1950s and 1960s and was an exclamation of surprise, delight, dismay, or alarm. Piggley and his father use it to express their delight when they discover something on their adventures.

OMG, the Minions are swearing in front of little kids.

Step away from the burgers and fries!

All one has to do is THINK it's bad language to make it so in our intolerant society.

Free speech has just been crossed off the Bill of Rights in our Constitution, we're down to 9 and working on the rest.