Bussing From Summer Camp To Local School For Mb Class

Interesting idea, a scout camp (Camp Post) wanted to offer a merit badge but did not have resources so they partnered with a nearby school and its enthusiastic welding teacher.

The South Plains Council of the Boy Scouts of America (TX)  is partnering with Post High School’s welding program in the Scouts’ summer camp.

Welding campers spend most of their time at headquarters a few miles west of town, but travel to the school each morning.

good article

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2015-06-24/boy-scouts-fire-new-welding-program

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

Works for me.   Our summer camp last year organized a carpool to a local historic site so Scouts could complete their American Heritage MB, and Cit in the Nation.... It was just that, a group of Scouter vans ("we need some drivers on Wednesday, if you can drive, contact the director...")  from camp, not a  camp bus.

Yes I have seen local day trips as you mentioned, but I have not seen this level - coordinating with a school to make their shop facilities, etc, available.

Hmmm, maybe Schiff should paint a sign "Available for camp programs, Call Super" and post at a tech school near our camp. ;)  

Edited by RememberSchiff

@OP - That's an awesome idea!

I'm trying to find someone willing to be an MBC for Metalworking that will do the Blacksmithing component.  Everyone does the sheet-metal version, which is ok... but I think the Scouts would get more of a kick out of hammering a chunk of glowing metal vs. pop-riveting a tin can.

Edited by MrBob
  • Upvote 1

Our council camp staff had a brainstorming session with SMs in camp today, adding both Welding and Blacksmithing MB's was part of the discussion.

@@SSScout, they dropped the Citizenship badges from the camp program.

Edited by qwazse

Whew! I was working up a good head of indignation assuming they were busing kids to sit through citizenship or Communications in the air conditioning.

This seems like an appropriate use of resources. Our camp hauls kid all over half the state to go rock climbing, white watering, backpacking, fly fishing, etc. They even tour a local prison for one of the citizenship badges. No difference here. We're fortunately in that we've had a really nice blacksmith's shop on camp for years. Since it was first offered, the blacksmith has taught welding, too. His classes are packed every session.