As stated in the message title, PLEASE BE CAREFUL about the advice or solutions that you offer on the board. Others may use this to their advantage if they have problems within their respective units.

I, myself am guilty of this.

Offering too much information to one specific problem causes much bigger problems and everything gets blown out of proportion.

All I ask is that everyone be careful with information or possible solutions to problems that are posted on this board.

Thanks for letting me clear the air.

One of the things I enjoy most about this forum is that it is a free exchange of information, with all the loudmouths, dumb ideas and ignorant opinions that come with that. But in the end the truth usually rises above the clatter. We are pretty good about policing our own. Post something stupid and it's a sure bet you're going to be called on it. I know I've written, re-written, written again and then deleted posts because I know they won't stand up to the scrutiny of the group.

I think a better warning would be to new members not to necessarily take the first answer they get, especially if they're are asking for a definitive policy-type answer. For those cases the best answers are those that include a reference to a specific BSA publication. But if all you're looking for is opinions and different persectives on a problem, you've come to the right place.

Some of us come here for advise and solutions to a problem. I for one say keep things as is.

As FOG stated "Advice and opinions are presented as such and it is up to the recipient to decide what to do with them. " Should be the rule of thumb.

I view this as an open forum. Openness tends to breed a variety of responses both good and bad. A person that cannot discern one from the other should be careful about drawing their answers to their Scouting problems here. Also, local assistance is advised because a book answer or an experiential answer may very well miss the point entirely.

On the First Class badge there are two stars, one representing truth and the other knowledge. These two are never the same, although some like to believe otherwise. This lack of insightful awareness between the two can create confusion and misunderstandings when searching for an answer.

In the field, using good orienteering knowledge, many have found their destinations easily. Others using the same knowledge but with slightly different circumstances were only off a little but found totally different results, sometimes with other unexpected problems. Knowing more about the person's circumstances than just a question can in effect lend credence to the direction given but that cannot be done from the distances we have here in this forum.

FB

I view this forum as a place to share suggestions and ideas to be considered.

In no way shape or form should any statement in these forums, regardless of who presents it, be confused with official postions, policies or requirements of the BSA. I assumed we all understood that.

SA

ok FOG - brace yourself - I agree with you! ;-)

I have gotten alot of good information from this board - but I realize that much of it is OPINION and not necessarily FACT - and I cross reference any 'BSA' Guidelines or rules given here with material from BSA literature, my council or district before I pass it on to my troop or others. I advise the boys and adults in my troop to do the same - use the net as a terrific resource for ideas and information, but ALWAYS cross check with official BSA literature before quoting anything as 'official'.

laura

Its is really a lot of work reading all these posts and weighing all the different positions on an issue. It is much easier to just go read the answers on any Scouting question in the one official book BSA published that spells it all out at every level. But I forgot exactally where I can get that book... maybe someone on the forum can tell me! Yes, I know, that is the point.

remember

never admit if you made a mistake, after all that is showing weakness

keep your mind closed

never try to understand the BSA program, after all you have been doing it a certain way for a long time, and change is hard

all methods goals and programs within the BSA are optional