Cradle Of Liberty Council Has Given In

Pragmatically, the line of acceptance of a role model is when the actions or reputation of the role model are considered safe for a scout to imitate in his own behavior as a result of his observations or respect of the role model.

Here we go again.

Everybody in the pack knows Cubmaster Jones smokes cigarettes, because he walks down the streets of town smoking a cigarette. (When he is at pack meetings, he follows BSA policy and does not smoke.) Is it "safe" for him to be a CM, when Scouts might imitate his known behavior? It's up to the CO. National imposes no policy on the units on this subject.

Everybody in the troop knows Scoutmaster Smith likes to drink, sometimes to excess, because he is seen coming out of Cubmaster Jones's tavern every Friday night. (No problem with BSA policy because the troop meets on Wednesdays.) Is it "safe" for him to be an SM, when Scouts might imitate his known behavior? It's up to the CO. National imposes no policy on the units on this subject.

ASM White is really overweight and...

Need I go on? Need I trot out the other examples I have used in my past posts? (I tried to find one of them and just link to it, but I couldn't find it.) National leaves these decisions up to the units, except for gay people and atheists. (And convicted felons, but I hope I don't have to explain why that's different.)

That's the issue.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to start bringing beer to camp outs. Maybe my council can change the policy.

@ It is always interesting what is allowed and what is not allowed.  Even with National's approval, the rules are routinely ignored.     My districts all have asked me to come in and do a living his

I'll point you back to the last paragraph of the post you quoted, about it all ending in chaos. You're trying to apply logic to a situation that has been mishandled by National to such a degree that i

You forgot this example, "Scoutmaster Jones lives with Cubmaster Smith. They like to walk down the street holding hands and have dinner together at the local bistro."

Let's make sure we cover all the bases here.

Edited by Bad Wolf

You forgot this example, "Scoutmaster Jones lives with Cubmaster Smith. They like to walk down the street holding hands and have dinner together at the local bistro."

Yep, and SM Jones is a man and CM Smith is a woman. They are living together unmarried.

• Upvote 1

Yep, and SM Jones is a man and CM Smith is a woman. They are living together unmarried.

Well, unmarried cohabitants (of opposite genders) is yet another example where there is no National policy, and some CO's would disqualify such a person from leadership positions, and others might not. I have given that example in the past too.

So if your Montana town fits the self reported rate from this survey: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/21/and-the-state-with-the-highest-proportion-of-openly-gay-residents-is/

2.6% of 300 is 7.8 gay people in your town. You just don't know who!

Live your life in a town of 300 or less and then let's talk.

Who was it that said, "There are lies, damn lies and statistics?" ;)

And what would be so wrong about that, they sound a lovely couple. And I'm a scout leader who runs a troop with my boy friend as an assistant leader

Nope. Not in my town. It's small enough we would know.

So deluded.I reminded me of the little Britain comedy show sketch with 'the only gay in the village'. I suspect that you may not know any openly gay people but I suspect that there will be some gay people who are closeted or just don't do things openly for fear of reprisals.