When Doing Community Service

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.  If he's proud of his uniform, wear it.

And BSA, not being especially knowledgeable these days, cannot conceive of a Scout thinking his PL is his "leader."  How sad.

Just a quick question.  When my son is doing independent community service for scouts (He needs service for rank and for citizenship in the community.), should he wear his uniform?

Depends. There are events to which he should NOT wear his uniform. Check with your unit leader.

I'd say it depends on the type of service.

If it is fundraising for an organization, he should not.

If it is a work project within the organization -- especially one that involves all sorts of folks, he probably should.

If it is a back-office kind of job, it doesn't matter.

Son #2 volunteered at the church nursery with his friends from Sunday school. It's a back office kind of job. They all knew he was a scout. He was doing it for God as much (maybe more) than for a patch, so he didn't wear a uniform.

The city is having an arts festival.  Son will be helping out at the craft table (for the little kids).  He'll be cleaning up and giving the little kids supplies and stuff like that.

Wear it... Just my opinion.  BSA, your troop, and your son can all benefit from the recognition of his work.

The city is having an arts festival.  Son will be helping out at the craft table (for the little kids).  He'll be cleaning up and giving the little kids supplies and stuff like that.

I'd say Troop T-shirt, for practical reasons. Don't want to get glue or paint on field uniform.

Wear it... Just my opinion.  BSA, your troop, and your son can all benefit from the recognition of his work.

Wearing it to a political envelop-stuffing session? ;)

I think this falls under "project for the organization involving all sorts of folks" who are representing their respective constiuencies by coming together to do good. He should wear it, if he doesn't mind a potential stain from glue or what-not. (Think of it as supplemental merit-badge regalia.) Leave ceremonial stuff, like sashes or medals, at home.

My son is in a troop, where he's usually the only one wearing a uniform.  

He will find in life that what other people do will be of little consequence to what he does. (His children may be irritated by his various excentricities, but what else are kids for?) The issue boils down to:

• Is he proud to be a scout?
  • Is he proud to be working on a MB?
  • Is he proud of his troop?
  • Is he proud of the other patches on his uniform?
Edited by qwazse

He will find in life that what other people do will be of little consequence to what he does. (His children may be irritated by his various excentricities, but what else are kids for?) The issue boils down to:

• Is he proud to be a scout?
  • Is he proud to be working on a MB?
  • Is he proud of his troop?
  • Is he proud of the other patches on his uniform?

This is in response to asking his patrol or unit leader if he should wear his uniform.  Seeing as how they don't wear a uniform (may not even have one), why would they be the best qualified person to ask?  

YOUR SON should be asking his patrol leader.

BSA says ask the unit lead.

I guess this is one area where I would never bother to run it up the chain. The boy has a handbook, it says a little bit about when a uniform should be worn and how. I'd like the boy to learn from his references before being spun round by other folks' explainations.

Just like if a kid's wondering about our location during land navigation, I would never tell a kid, "ask your patrol leader". I would reply "What does the map say? What does the compass say?" ... "Do you think you should bring up what you just read with anyone?"

This is in response to asking his patrol or unit leader if he should wear his uniform.  Seeing as how they don't wear a uniform (may not even have one), why would they be the best qualified person to ask?  

You asked the question faster than I could answer it. :)

Edited by qwazse