• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Professional head hunters will tell you keep anything off your resume that is in any way controversial. With the number of levels you need to clear in the typical hiring process, leave off the controv

Eagle rank, and any time in the BSA is something to be proud of, not ashamed of.   Dedication to voluntarily serving youth should always be looked upon favorably.

If they can't hire you for who you are, why would you want to work for them?  Tell 'em who you are.

Just looking for some advice.

Recently an employment advisor suggested I would get more results with my resume if I left off any reference to the BSA.

Currently controversial. Leave it off.

If you have Eagle you could mention that.

I'm laid off and a few months short of retiring.  Right now I'm drawing unemployment until that runs out.  I have to seek 4 jobs/week to keep the payments flowing.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to get it on my resume right away.

I think it depends on what you do and where you are. LinkedIn regularly wants me to list all of my non-profit work, for example. "1 in 5 Managers hired based on an applicant's volunteering experience."

Then again, when I give lectures to undergrads I remind them that they will never find out that they did not get the job due to a controversial organization membership. They just won't get the interview.

I encouraged my son, when putting together his post-college-graduation resume, to include not only his Eagle but also a brief description of his project, which was related (somewhat loosely) to the general field of employment he was seeking. He got a job. I realize that's a very small sample size from which to draw any conclusions, and what impact (if any) the resume had on his getting the job, I don't know.

I would advise any other young person the same way I advised my son. I think it is a net positive, though probably not to a great degree when compared with all the other factors that go into hiring. For those of us who are "Life for Life" (or other ranks), the balance may tip the other way (or not.)

(Just as an aside, when I was running for school board, I put all of my community service positions on my "bio", including adult leadership positions in the pack and troop. My electoral batting average was .500, record-breaking in baseball but not so great when running for office, especially when it's a win followed by a loss.)

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

Because the interview screener might not reflect the company.

Okay, the company might be a great place to work, but do you wish to put up with these people as co-workers.  Usually the interview process involves those mostly likely in contact with the new hire.  I worked for a really good company but the people in my department were not the cream of the crop.

• Upvote 1

Eagle rank, and any time in the BSA is isomething to be proud of, not ashamed of.   Dedication to voluntarily serving youth should always be looked upon favorably.

Professional head hunters will tell you keep anything off your resume that is in any way controversial. With the number of levels you need to clear in the typical hiring process, leave off the controversial stuff BUT hold it in reserve in case you feel you can work it in verbally.

As someone who hires 100+ people a year I can tell you I could not give a rat's tuckus if you volunteer for BSA or not. I want someone who can do the job when I need them. Adding in BSA volunteering might put people off politically OR it might put them off wondering "Is this guy going to want two weeks off for Philmont and one weekend a month for camping?" 

Rule of thumb: Get in the door. NEVER give them a reason to exclude you....that is, if you really WANT the job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Neither Eagle nor service in BSA is evidence of professional qualifications. It is evidence of public service...which is just fine if such is a component of job performance for the purposes of performance review. My guess, though, is that it rarely figures in a performance review either. I don't mention anything about my Eagle or my BSA involvement. If something like that is the 'straw' then you're cutting it way too close in the first place.

Edit: I would add that I think Eagle might be a good thing if applying to college. It is evidence off extracurricular achievement.

Edited by packsaddle
  • Upvote 1

I've put scouting under hobbies/volunteer organizations. I've also included Eagle Scout under awards.

Years after the fact, I don't think these things helped during screening. But they helped extend conversations during the interview.

• Upvote 1

I think it depends. In some cases, no. But if what you have done in Scouting reflects on youur field, then yes. A friend of mine incluuded Eagle, as well as a desription of his prooject: creating portable obstacles to help train search and rescue dogs. Asyoou can gguess,he's K9 oofficer. Another young man put his summer camp experrience, which was the camp coommisioer. It related to the customer service position.