Use this thread for all issues related to the World Jamboree coming up this July.  Once that's over with there might be a few comments being made but when the time comes, just start a new thread and call it something like World Jamboree 2019.  Or be a bit more creative if you wish.  :)

Registration Fee: $5,750

Airfare:$2,268

Other Expenses: $1,000

Total: $9,000+

One week in Disney Port Orleans including food and park tix for four: $7,634 (gas/hotels to/from another $500)

No thanks. Jamborees are for people with money to burn. In the old days there were FAR more affordable.

I'm not going myself, sadly, but 2 of the Explorer Scouts who work with my scouts as Young Leaders are as are two more former scouts who are also young leaders.

All of them are absolutely chomping at the bit to get going. They were slightly perturbed on their last practice camp to be kicked out of bed at 3am for a tsunami evacuation drill!

I don't know how you chaps have ended up with it being so expensive. It's not cheap at this end (£3000 all in, approx $4500) but it's half what you are paying! I assume you know that it's weighted from country to country so first world countries effectively subsidise the third world right?

I'm over the moon for all them as well. This will be quite simply the experience of a life time. I don't know anyone that has been to not come back completely changed and convinced they can change the world. 

I don't know how you chaps have ended up with it being so expensive. It's not cheap at this end (£3000 all in, approx $4500) but it's half what you are paying! I assume you know that it's weighted from country to country so first world countries effectively subsidise the third world right?

Americans are very used to subsidizing the rest of the world. After your empire had the sun set on it, someone had to pick up the slack. ;)

Looking forward to the Chinese doing the same in 40 years. Can't wait to have them pay for me to go places.

• 1 month later...

Just had a couple of Au Revoir texts from my young leaders off to Japan. They're setting off at 4.30am tomorrow morning so I'm grateful for them choosing to not do it then :)

I'm so jealous not to be joining them but it can't be helped, 3 weeks off work for scouts is simply not feasible.