T2E -- in London, breakfast and dinner were served cafeteria style.  I think they may be talking about lunch.  On the way out from breakfast, we pick our lunch from a selection of pre-made sandwiches, chips (rather, "crisps" there), fruit, snack and different drinks.  It was a basic bag lunch, but you did have a choice of the "flavors" you selected.  I came to like the prawn flavored crisps.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got told I was too fat.

Wait

Unfortunately, many people seem to have had bad experiences, and paint a bad picture for everybody.   Having been to one Jamboree as a youth, and another as and adult, you should look forward to it, 

I came to like the prawn flavored crisps.

As a complete aside, we hosted some portuguese explorer scouts last year (aged 14-18) in the UK, they were also confused by prawn cocktail flavour, but very very confused by Worcestershire Sauce flavoured crisps. (a) it's pronounced "Wo-stir-shire" not "Wor-cess-stir-shire" and (b) had not a clue what that sauce was actually supposed to taste like, when Worcestershire is a place, a county, rather than a thing. Some of them did try them, they're a sort of strong beef flavour, I don't remember any coming back for more. ;)

Some of the feedback from Japan is that there were very long queues for food. I think that was for breakfast, I think they cooked their own dinners within their units, so I guess they had to go "shopping" at the grocery store to get the food. Rather than go to a massive catering tent and be served dinner.

Ian

Edited by ianwilkins

Some questions about the Jamboree--do the Scouts have fun overall, even with the long walks to activities?  Do they need to bring their own tents?  If not, what kind of accommodations do they have? Where do they go white-water rafting?  Is Jamboree sort of like a giant Scout summer camp?  Have never gone and I don't think any from our troop have gone, at least not in the past 10 years if not longer.  Our troop is in California so the travel cost and time would be pretty significant.  Thanks in advance for any input!

I talked to several scouts and scouters and they did have fun. More importantly, they learned stuff that they could bring back to their units.

You should contact your council office regarding some of the logistics. Each council fields its own contingent, and does things a little differently. It is a tent city, and councils used to buy new tents that they then used for their camps. That's all changed and the Summit has its own massive quartermaster with tents. Regardless, the boys don't bring their own tents.

Whitewater is on the New River. Not sure the logistics of that or how many boys participated.

I describe Jamborees as more like a scouting convention than summer camp. In months leading to the trip, a boy makes friends with boys from across your council. They meet several times to prepare. The council tries to pick some really good scoutmasters for these boys. (Rarely does that include the boys' own SM). So, much of the experience is about working with new leadership and sharing what you've learned to build a team who gets breakfast done, grabs a bag lunch, and tries to get the most out of their day.

Most boys who go to Jamboree still want to go to their troop's summer camp that same year, so I encourage them to budget accordingly.

• 3 months later...

Agree. Wait. Jambo is overwhelming. He will enjoy it more later.

There's also cost. It's a better learning experience if he saves up to pay a large part (if not all) of the trip. This may mean managing money, building a track record of perfect grades, or just being significantly more responsible for the family's chores over several years' time.

Also, he'd have to rush to earn First Class. Now he may be a kid who naturally advances to that point in a year. But, if he's not, he'll feel pushed along. I've seen too many scouts in such situations quit.

• 3 months later...

I applied to attend 2017 National Jamboree. Have yet for a response even though I was told the process could take a while.  Not sure what to think since I've had people tell me different views on what Jambo is really like. 

Unfortunately, many people seem to have had bad experiences, and paint a bad picture for everybody.   Having been to one Jamboree as a youth, and another as and adult, you should look forward to it,  You will have a great time.  I put my money where my mouth is, I am going on staff in 2017 myself.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...