• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got told I was too fat.

Wait

Unfortunately, many people seem to have had bad experiences, and paint a bad picture for everybody.   Having been to one Jamboree as a youth, and another as and adult, you should look forward to it, 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been invited back to my OA service corps job, but not sure how the dates and commitment fits with family commitments. Life has changed from a couple to a couple with a 1 year old daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this info from the Central Region:

The 2013 Staff spoke and was listened to. Here’s a few of the enhancements for the 2017 staff

experience

:

Better Transportation

: No more than a 30 minute walk from your housing to your work area.

Time Off

: Enough staff will be recruited to offer you a full day off during your staff duty.

Communications

: You will be kept up to date from your registration date to Jambo time.

Lunch:

A variety of lunches and sufficient caloric content will be made available.

Lodging:

You will have up to 30 days prior to the event to select your 3 tent mates.

Staff Village

: An oasis from the bustle, retail food and beverage will be available.

Showers:

Efforts are underway to provide warmer showers that meet the Summit’s needs.

Laundry Service

: This will continue for those who wish to utilize it.

Staff Photos

: Official staff team photos will be available for purchase.

I worked at Technology Quest in the Cloud.  Even at a good speed it took me closer to an hour.  The ranges were past that, although there was a bus for the range staff.  I got fed up when some staffers were allowed to ride, but not others.  I was walking...

I think they should have some transportation for the kids too.  It is one thing to be in shape to get from point a to b, but they waste a lot of time just getting where they need to be.

It is one thing to be in shape to get from point a to b, but they waste a lot of time just getting where they need to be.

That was my big complaint/feedback.  Going for a multi-mile hike is a nice thing to do, but to have to do that twice a day before you get to do the thing you're actually there to do is really inefficient.

That was my big complaint/feedback.  Going for a multi-mile hike is a nice thing to do, but to have to do that twice a day before you get to do the thing you're actually there to do is really inefficient.

Are the pathways out in the open or more in the trees? Hiking under a hot sun can be pretty hard.

Are the pathways out in the open or more in the trees? Hiking under a hot sun can be pretty hard.

Mostly out in the open and never flat.  The Summit is largely a reclaimed strip mine, so you have terraced plots of land going up and down the mountains, and W Va. is hot and humid in the summer.  Admittedly it did cool off enough at night to sleep; my tactic was to take an "ambient temperature" shower at night right before bed..

• 1 month later...

The first webinar from National was presented yesterday.  One of the changes for this Jamboree is "grocery store model" food provision.  I found a FAQ that said this was a model used at World Jamborees.  Does anyone have any experience with this, and can they give a brief descrition of how it has worked?

thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Some questions about the Jamboree--do the Scouts have fun overall, even with the long walks to activities?  Do they need to bring their own tents?  If not, what kind of accommodations do they have? Where do they go white-water rafting?  Is Jamboree sort of like a giant Scout summer camp?  Have never gone and I don't think any from our troop have gone, at least not in the past 10 years if not longer.  Our troop is in California so the travel cost and time would be pretty significant.  Thanks in advance for any input!