Neckerchief Supplier (Embroidered)

I'm having some trouble finding a supplier for new neckerchiefs for my troop. I need a company that can: provide small quantities (< 25), can embrioder my design, and can source the material and hem the edges. Does anyone in this forum have suggestions for companies, or individuals, to contact? I'm in the Del-Mar-Va Council (in the US, I'm based in Delaware).  We've reached the point where we've now run out, and we have some newly crossed-over Scouts who don't have one. (Note to self: better planning, so your next 'first impression' is a better one.) Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Craig

Edited by CraigHall

I'm having some trouble finding a supplier for new neckerchiefs for my troop. I need a company that can: provide small quantities (< 25), can embrioder my design, and can source the material and hem the edges. Does anyone in this forum have suggestions for companies, or individuals, to contact? I'm in the Del-Mar-Va Council (in the US, I'm based in Delaware).  We've reached the point where we've now run out, and we have some newly crossed-over Scouts who don't have one. (Note to self: better planning, so your next 'first impression' is a better one.) Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Craig

If the design has any BSA logos on it most suppliers won't touch your order as they may not be licensed to do so. @@qwazse has a good point, order some stock. We do that when we must order. Class B and Stadri Emblems do fine work.

My troop has neckers of blaze orange cotton material.  They have no BSA Logo on them so there is no legal issues to contend with, and my Mrs. cut them into squares and surged a edging on them of a patrol color.  Adults wear white edging and the first patrol has black edging.  Who knows what the next patrol is going to go with for a color.

A lot of people have commented on how nice they look (they're big, hang all the way to the boy's belt.  But no one has commented or maybe even noticed they don't have anything on them to indicate their are a BSA necker.  Being an optional part of the uniform, there is no official necker so maybe doing your own thing is the less costly and less hassle option.

The last time I needed them for my troop, we asked around and found an individual who had a small business doing small jobs like that.

Be careful though. Our council found out about a unit using a local non-licensed shop to do some work and they came down on that unit. National even got involved. They call it "brand management" but its more about revenue sharing than making sure the "brand" is not damaged.

A plain Fleur-de-lis can be used and is NOT a copyrighted or protected symbol/trademark. Our troop has on their neckers an image of the patrol animal head with an embroidered fleur-de-lis underneath it, made by a local company who does an excellent job. We have never had a problem from National Office, in fact we even gave one to a former CSE who was visiting our council and commented how great they looked.

We've used Advantage Emblem (www.advantageemblem.com) for our neckers for years and have been very please with both the quality and service. Their art department is great. We send sketches on paper towels and get great-looking designs back.

And their BSA registered suppliers so you don't have to worry about all the copyright mumbo-jumbo.

A plain Fleur-de-lis can be used and is NOT a copyrighted or protected symbol/trademark. Our troop has on their neckers an image of the patrol animal head with an embroidered fleur-de-lis underneath it, made by a local company who does an excellent job. We have never had a problem from National Office, in fact we even gave one to a former CSE who was visiting our council and commented how great they looked.

As long as it's not a copy of a BSA design. ;)

I've always liked the idea of an original Troop (or Patrol!) design.

I like the idea of a non-copyright design.

The Necker SHOULD be big, 30" on a side is not too small. Then, it lends itself to being USED, as the original necker was

intended to be useful, as a flag, or dust mask, or sun hat, or arm sling or.....

My Troop necker was designed by the boys in the Troop just before I joined. There was a pair of dusty boots with the motto

displayed "Always on the GO!" .

The ESL necker was a style statement, indicative not of Scouting's purpose, but of it's demise from being the pre-eminent

outdoor youth adventure organization.

If you have a good, Scouty design, well and good. Stay with tradition. But you might ask the boys to provide a design THEY can own.

And use the necker, don't just wear it for wearing's sake.

Good Scouting to you!

@@SSScout brings up a good point, double check the dimensions of your neckerchief. One year we ordered a replacement batch and they were WAY too small. Same supplier just a different lot of cloth. Confirm before you order.

Well I too am looking at necker options. We've used standard BSA neckers, and now National supply is out of the necker business, at least the ones we used (they are still trying to get rid of some, just not ours).

Really hit home when we had 2 crossover ceremonies, and no neckers :o One of the priorities at the next PLC 'cause we have 1/3 of the troop without a necker, and are about to get at least 8 new Scouts in December, if not more.