New Twist To My Prior Topic - These Assistants Have Now Requested That Our Son Be Removed.

Make two calls.  The first to the head of the chartering organization - before tonights meeting - tell that person what is going on with those ASM's and that the Troop Committee is meeting tonight to potentially kick your son out of scouts - make sure to use these words:  "If the Troop kicks my son out, I will be left with no choice but to contact a lawyer about a discrimination lawsuit against the Troop and their Chartering Organization for discriminating against my son". 

The second to the Scout Executive where you will again explain what these two miscreant ASM's are up to and that you have told the chartering head that should the Troop kick your son out, you will be filing a very public lawsuit against the CO and the Troop and will be including the Council for allowing these two ASM's to damage your son's reputation and allowing the unit to discriminate against your son due to his disability.

I know you have spoken of your Christian beliefs and your turn the other cheek, and try to get along attitude which is very commendable - but if defending your son and your family's reputation against these two people is not the time to wield the sword, then when is?

It's really time to stop being nice and time to start being fierce.

One comment:  BSA will always defend the chartered partner.  Liability insurance is part of the charter.  This may not be as good a recourse as others think.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why should this scout be on the outside looking in.  I'm sure the DE has access to other Scouters that would be willing to take on the challenge of just one boy.  I've never turned a scout away for an

My two cents is that any kid with a special need should have someone with whom he identifies on EVERY camp out. If that's mom or dad, so be it. If another leader can fill that role then great. But if

Make two calls.  The first to the head of the chartering organization - before tonights meeting - tell that person what is going on with those ASM's and that the Troop Committee is meeting tonight to

One comment:  BSA will always defend the chartered partner.  Liability insurance is part of the charter.  This may not be as good a recourse as others think.

This is the same for any organization.  When I was n the ministry, a regional administrator could not dump a church, but he pastors can come and go on a whim.  Life is a lot easier once one realizes that.  Same for CO's  They stick around, volunteers are mobile enough to send on their way anytime.

I had a son with Asperger's in a troop years ago.   The troop leadership spread lies all around the troop that my son was too stupid to earn a Merit Badge, and accused me of giving him every advancement he had ever earned.  Those types of people are worth nothing in the big picture.  In my son's case, he finished his scouting youth experience in another troop.

That is what you need to do also, find another troop that "gets it" and leave these jerks in your rearview mirror.  As was previously posted, the SE is the only person that can remove your son from scouting.

• Upvote 1