Invite Varsity From Another Unit

We have in the past opened up a slot or two in a high adventure crew to scouts from another unit. It helps if they know a couple of people in the crew.

The BSA does not have an isue with it. When I was a youth all crews were technically ad-hoc crews. Even now the council does run some provisional crews to Philmont.

If your church allows it is another matter; you will have to ask them.

Our council doesn't care. That said, I'd suggest you make sure you know anyone from outside your unit. We once had an opening and asked around to neighboring units. We ended up with a handful of a kid. To make a long story short we almost locked him in the compartment where the anchor and chain go. Not really, but we did smile thinking about it. The former scout you know, so no problem. The friends I'd say they'd have to do some things with your unit a couple of times "so everyone can get to know each other."

Years ago, one of my favorite scout, move to another city, and join another troop.  We invited him on all of our high adventure trips.  When he returned, everyone was always glad to see him, because he was a great kid, and a good worker.  Finally we lost contact with him - he Eagle, and moved out of state.

At present, I have some scouts that have camped with us as Webelos, and join other troops.  One scout has gone with us on trips to Ohio, Kentucky, and Ontario (from Michigan).  7 scouts from a small troop,  join us last year for a trip to Ontario, and this year, 5 from this troop, went with us to Gettysburg.  Two of their scouts are going to summer camp with our troop. 

I figure if they are not going to give you any problems, why not give them the experiences of camping with your group?

Glacier,

1) WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!

2) As others have said, you better know your your folks going on any HA activity.You need to have team players with positive mental attitudes and necessary skills. I lazy, negative person can destroy an activity of a lifetime. Trust me on that.

3) If you have an multi-unit crew, make sure you have plenty of expedition practices.