Question About Scheduling Eagle Courts Of Honor

Go to solution Solved by Troop185,

There are some people who should not be around other people's kids.  It is unfortunate that 1) it happens to be a SM and 2) the CO, DE and SE allow it to continue.

Congratulations to your son, and yet I'm hoping this kind of ignorant persecution helps him to be a stronger person rather than defeats him.  I have seen it work both ways.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow.    I cannot begin to think about how this was for your family.  Clearly the Troop needs to review the meaning and spirit of the Scout Law. People not coming to my ECOR was always by biggest (bu

To be clear, the troop makes the arrangements with the CO to reserve the rooms because we have an uptight pastor and will only schedule things with the SM.  The scout and his family do all the plannin

First, whether or not the CC is there wouldn't matter to me.  The SM is the only leader that has to be at an ECOH, IMHO.  Sometimes things will conflict on a given day.  Talk to the Eagle and his pare

Our son just had his ECOH last weekend... It's was devastating when not one leader and not one scout planned on attending. You see our son is on the autistic spectrum and was told by his Scout master no one liked him. Not even his Scout master had the decency to even rsvp, no one did. We get it that people are busy and have other commitments but what this troop leadership has done to this Eagle Scout is discriminate, ostrosozed and demean him. We also get it people have a way of not liking people with disabilities and think they are less then they are but what these leaders have shown is that it's ok to act like this and make him feel so abandoned.

Thankfully his ASM stepped up 2 days before the ceremony and apologized and brought 3 scouts from the troop. Also our older son who is also an eagle did the ceremony and her had other scouts from other troops show up to support his accomplishment. This was just the latest in the troops leadership of doing nasty things to hurt a scout with a disability. Since this is a new troop as of 5 or 6 years ago our son was the first Eagle Scout from the troop, you would have thought someone would have cared enough.

That's hard to believe, but I'm glad the ASM and a few scouts attended, and glad that your older son got to do the ceremony.  I think your troop needs to be reminded about the Scout Law. For the RSVP, a Scout is Courteous. For the rest,  A Scout is friendly. A Scout is kind.  No wonder that your son is the first Eagle--the Troop doesn't sound very scoutlike. 

Edited by perdidochas

@2eaglesons

Thank you all...

We know it's hard to believe but it's true.

Met with council yesterday and we are pursuing this further. They asked us why we didn't come to them sooner and we said that this leader is a bully and frankly we didn't want him to make it worse before he achieved his eagle rank. Council asked us if we were going to the police which we are not (there is much more to this then the few hints we have mentioned) but we are going to the paper and have written a letter to the editor. This has to stop.

We totally understand kids not liking everyone and totally understand being busy and not being able to make every COH but really, not one person was coming from the troop and not one leader? Not one leader could rsvp? Totally unbelievable. Children with disabilities are excluded every day and what we told council was we don't know the long term effect of bulling by a person in power. We don't know what this does to scouts when they are made to feel less then, excluded and bullied by leaders who condone it with the other boys in the troop. What type of message is showing the boys that his is accepted practice. We are sending council emails from one of the leaders who decided to tell us why our son is not liked in the troop and why they boys don't like him and how she's waited years to tell me. Everything she mentioned in the email was about my sons disability. Here a scout leader is making fun of his disabilities. If he could changes being autistic trust me he would.

He isn't going away and makes honor roll in school and is a very thoughtful boy but he is differnt and how dare these leaders continuing discriminating against him for it.

We are proud of him and thank you everyone. We just have said enough and this isn't what scouts is about.

2eaglesons:  Please tell your young man how proud we all are of him, and we have never met him. If he has such a SM, I cannot conceive how he ever managed to earn Eagle?  With the attitude you outline, how was he able to overcome the Troop  bias evident in your description? 

I think your going to the COR, the IH and the District and Council show real courage on YOUR part.  Stick to your standard of the Scout Promise and Law as the standard with which  to judge these "leaders" (so called).  The Scoutmaster (not "emperor" here)  has no clothes, and this needs to be made clear.

Good Scouting to you  and thanks to the ones that saw thru the SM's attempt to shame you into submission and turned out to honor your young Eagle.

SSScout:

Thanks. Hard to believe but yes his scout master did a lot more to discourage this young man and to not support him. A lot of hard work and determination and a refusal to give up on our sons part. It was a long road for our son to find people outside the troop to work on his badges with him but they were amazing to him and they never cut him a break which is what our son wanted, to do it like everyone else. Our son was the chaplains aid for a few years and loved it. We have met with council and have sent in a letter to the local paper. Other leaders and parent blindly followed this SM who used his authority to discourage him and spread non inclusion and discrimination.

So here's hoping we can change things... Someone has to and this SM can no longer hurt our son.

Thanks!