All,

First I would like to thank you all for your replies to my first post. (New Troop)

I had our first meeting last night. 10 of my 12 scouts showed up. The other two had really good reasons not too. (they both are in the same clss and the teacher slamed her whole class with homework. I have always told my scouts that school work comes first, and if the need any help to ask for it)

I did a parent scout oriantation. I had them laughing in the halls and answering question.

We played one game for them to learn each others names, and form a small bond of friendship.

5 of the scouts showed intrest in being SPL. Much better then I thought. I have since given there parents the SPL handout and info on the election process.

In two weeks we will have our SPL elections.

The boys voted 9 to 1 on the neckercheif they want, and the hat. They also voted to be a complete uniformed troop. (complete with green pants and all).

It looks like it is going to be great.

Thanks again

YIS SM41

Why are you waiting 2 weeks for elections?

What I gleaned from his first thread is that these are all new Scouts and the oldest is 12. They may have never seen an SPL run a meeting before, so he wants to give them a couple of chances to see a meeting run properly before one of them actually has to do it himself. Also, while this was not specifically mentioned, apparently these boys are from 2 different packs and some of them may not know each other. Being together for a couple of meetings would give the boys some rational basis for voting for one of them as SPL.

Have you considered calling another local troop or OA chapter and seeing if they have an older (16) experienced boy who would be interested in helping you out, perhaps acting as SPL for three months until he can train one of your younger boys as his assistant afterwards acting in a supervisory position allowing the young boy to act as SPL but closely guiding him.

SM41,

Keep up the good work. Don't worry too much about our Monday morning QB'ing. It is our specialty.

Believe in yourself. Get all of the training you can. Find another leader that you trust and stand in the parking lot after a Roundtable or two and learn. As the guys set goals, recruit parents to help deliver on those goals.

The first year will soon be over.

FB

sm41:

It's always nice to read about a new troop forming, and I wish you the best of luck with the troop you serve.

Does your council sponsor a Junior Leader Training week or weekend? Also, has anyone in this forum "harassed" you about Wood Badge yet? If not, consider yourself harassed by me!

Again, congrats!

Good Old Eagle Too

No need to harass me about Wood Badge.

I will be in the Class of 04. (Going this summer)

I have looked for an older scout to help out. No luck. Most in our council are in a Venturing Crew and such.

I have even tried to bring a boy from our pack back into the troop. No luck. He likes the troop he is in. I am not going to "Steal a Scout" from another troop.

Roundtables are great, and I go often.

Thanks for all the encouregment.

SM41

YIS