As I said, District Advancement Chair.  I'll see if I can find for you.

Woops!  Position vacant.

John E Poulson D8 - Chairman (435) 882-2706 Joshua Pinney District Executive (801) 582-3663 x202

Not making this easy, are they?

"A current zone listing of merit badge counselors and merit badges by zone may be obtained from your scout unit commissioner."

I must say, it's like a different organization that B.S.A. here in Ohio.  Says SMs and SAs are prohibited from being Merit badge Counselors.  0___0

I've asked the unit commissioner twice.  Maybe sm will have better luck.  SMs are prohibited here in Utah from being Merit Badge Counselors?  Never knew that and I can say I don't think the SMs ans SAs know that either.  They've been merit badge counselor for several of son's badges.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry @@fred johnson I think Eagle mills have made that vision a thing of the past...  

Yeah ... I'm not much into the eagle mill debate.     I just liked when it was more let's go take a merit badge.  and it was fun.  and the kid enjoyed it.  It was not the stressful uptight situation

The new guy actually quit scouts as a youth because it was too frustrating for him.  (On account of adult leadership.)  Coming from that. I think he has potential.   

I can't seem to find the person, who has the district list. Which person would that be? I tried contacting the guy, who was in charge of the powow, where electricity was begun, but he hasn't responded to either of my two inquiries

And,

I've asked the unit commissioner twice.  Maybe sm will have better luck.

What other merit badges are you working on, Christine?

In my council we have a registar who can get a list of MBC's in this type of situation

I don't see one listed for your council but maybe the Director of Support Service is the person?

Also this is something your Unit Commissioner can help with

If you don't know who that is try your District Commissioner

Son just has electricity left that he had begun at a powow in December and is finally getting around to finishing now that summer and freedom has come.

Love that Jr. knows what to do with his free time!

BTW how are those bugle calls coming?

@@christineka, ask someone in your church or community who is an electrician or electrical engineer if they would go through the trouble of registering with the BSA as an MBC. Now that you know what it's like to be a mom with an ambitious kid, you might want to think about filling that vacant district position.

Love that Jr. knows what to do with his free time!

BTW how are those bugle calls coming?

@@christineka, ask someone in your church or community who is an electrician or electrical engineer if they would go through the trouble of registering with the BSA as an MBC. Now that you know what it's like to be a mom with an ambitious kid, you might want to think about filling that vacant district position.

Haha!  Son without a mother to remind him what to do, would spend the entire day on the computer.  As for bugle calls, he got them all and earned the badge a year ago.  He's still troop bugler, though after he earns Star they're going to have to find him some other position of responsibility.  (They'll probably be happier without him bugling anyway.  Apparently this troop does not appreciate music in the morning.)   

I just headr yesterday of someone at church, who is an electrician.  (Just moved into the neighborhood.)  I know sm has the idea to get a bunch of church members to become merit badge counselors.  It would really help out the troop.

As for me moving up in the world of bsa, yeah right!  You have to take wood badge and be super scouty- not mention , have time.  I have 6 kids, homeschool them (the 2 with some pretty big special needs are going to public school next year, but I'll likely be advocating for them all year long.)  I'm going to have a baby in a couple months, too.  (I was asked to help with the next powow in August and no, can't do that.  I'll either be 43 weeks pregnant, be in labor, or be caring for a newborn.)

Haha!  Son without a mother to remind him what to do, would spend the entire day on the computer. ...

Don't worry! In a year or two, you'll get a pin and a kiss for all of your troubles!

I just headr yesterday of someone at church, who is an electrician.  (Just moved into the neighborhood.)  I know sm has the idea to get a bunch of church members to become merit badge counselors.  It would really help out the troop.

You might be the one to help the SM with that. Make the calls! Keep encouraging that it's worth the effort to take online YPT and push the paperwork.

As for me moving up in the world of bsa, yeah right!  You have to take wood badge and be super scouty- not mention , have time.  ...

Don't let the "third world generals" fool you.  Your first two "hurdles" are not requirements for any district position! That may be why some volunteer positions in your district are not being filled. Nobody thinks they're qualified for them. Raising 7 kids maybe should be a requirement. You an the Mr. are working the patrol method 'round the clock!

Time is the big thing, but I'm just putting "the bug in your ear," because, well, you seem to be a quick study ... capable of finding a task you can do and chipping away at it. By the time Jr. sticks you with that "Eagle mom" pin, you'll be plenty credentialed.

Bugling is one of the most underrated POR's on the list.  So many troops have no idea what potential it has to make things nice for the troop.

A number of years back I met two buglers from different troops put on quite a show for the weekend.  Knowing what a bugle is meant for I totally appreciated what they were up to.  Friday I heard one bugler give Mess Call to notify his troop was ready for Cracker Barrel.  That was kinda neat, but then I heard the other bugler give a Ditty and then Mess Call.  That told the first bugler there were going to be two buglers in camp.  So the first bugler gave his Ditty in return.  The Ditty is a short 2-3, maybe 4 note identification signal to let the boys know which bugler is giving a Call.  A while later, no Ditty, but Officer's Call to let the SPL's know where the SPL meeting was going to be, just follow the bugler's location.  SPL's who didn't know Officer's Call seemed to be the ones that showed up late if at all.

That night I heard a Ditty from one of the two buglers, just the Ditty.  Then the other bugler gave his Ditty.  They were now ready.  The first bugler played Taps and the second bugler echoed.

The next morning, Ditty #1, Ditty #2, pause, Long note and then the two buglers played Reveille together from two different locations.  Before the day was over, they got in Assembly, To the Colors, Fatigue Call and Mess Calls.  Sunday morning even had Church Call.  There were a few troops that had learned the calls but didn't have a bugler so they were kinda up on it, but those troops without buglers and didn't know the calls were at a disadvantage.  

It was worth the weekend just to listen to these two guys who really knew their stuff.  It pays to do out-of-council camporees every now and then to see how the other half lives.

Bugling is one of the most underrated POR's on the list.  So many troops have no idea what potential it has to make things nice for the troop.

Yes, I totally agree!  My son's troop only want him to play reveille.  There are a whole lot more calls that he can play!  He knows what they're for, too, because we play bugle calls in our home.  (Of course, he had to know them all for the badge, but that was so long ago now that he could have forgotten.)  (It's fun and much more effective to call children and husband/father from all over the house with the bugle than it is to yell.)

Edited by christineka

Oh- and did know the previous guy left.  I didn't know what he was- just his name.  I had assumed he'd be replaced by now.

""The Work Is Done By Whoever Shows Up.""

= Scouter District mantra =

Perhaps they could use someone who has been there- done that?  Ummm?

.  (Of course, he had to know them all for the badge, but that was so long ago now that he could have forgotten.)  (It's fun and much more effective to call children and husband/father from all over the house with the bugle than it is to yell.)

Now why didn't I think of that way back when?   We used a barn bell, still hanging on the back deck. 

Our troop tried bugler POR a couple of years, thing was someone would take the job and if we got one bugle attempt for the whole 6 months that was special.. It became a great job to take if you wanted credit without doing a thing to earn it.. There was no follow through by adults or scouts to get the bugler to work the position, so my husband at one committee meeting argued that (and 1 or 2 others with similar outcomes) should not be used and got them off the list. He had for the 2 years just before the positions were handed out, comment on the last scout not doing the job and trying to put plans in place so the next person in the job did not get credit for doing nothing.. After 2 years of no improvement on working the positions he convinced everyone to take the jobs down..

Yes, I know boy-led, the boys should have decided and if they enjoyed having 2 or 3 jobs on the books that were do-nothing jobs we should of let them keep them going.. All I can say is Ba-Humbug..  

I have great news to report.  Husband attended committee meeting tonight.  The subject of blue cards came up.  SM asked committee if the boys should or should not keep their blue cards.  The vote was unanimous.  The boys will be keeping their blue cards from now on.