Our summer camp started doing computerized blue cards last year.  

Our unit is going that route too. Most camps we attend do not use blue cards anymore, rather they use the computerized cards. Much cheaper.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry @@fred johnson I think Eagle mills have made that vision a thing of the past...  

Yeah ... I'm not much into the eagle mill debate.     I just liked when it was more let's go take a merit badge.  and it was fun.  and the kid enjoyed it.  It was not the stressful uptight situation

The new guy actually quit scouts as a youth because it was too frustrating for him.  (On account of adult leadership.)  Coming from that. I think he has potential.   

Our unit is going that route too. Most camps we attend do not use blue cards anymore, rather they use the computerized cards. Much cheaper.

I'm sad to see that.  I think the blue card was a great scout-level way of doing things.  Left the MB in the scout's hands to manage and get done.  And it was a ton of life lessons for the scout to manage and take responsibility for handing in that little blue sheet of paper.  Or preventing it from becoming mush in the wash or during a rain storm.

I just don't want my son to have to bring a smart phone to camp or a tablet or go to an adult for him to manage his own advancement.  That just seems wrong. 

I don't think it's cheaper, but I understand it's significantly easier.  I always sort of viewed the blue card as part of the learning experience.  

Edited by fred johnson

I'm sad to see that.  I think the blue card was a great scout-level way of doing things.  Left the MB in the scout's hands to manage and get done.  And it was a ton of life lessons for the scout to manage and take responsibility for handing in that little blue sheet of paper.  Or preventing it from becoming mush in the wash or during a rain storm.

I just don't want my son to have to bring a smart phone to camp or a tablet or go to an adult for him to manage his own advancement.  That just seems wrong. 

I should be clearer @@fred johnson, we *DO* use cards just not blue cards. We use a computerized print out similar to the blue card, it is just not the official blue card stock.

Most camps we've been to in the last 5 years do not use blue cards. When our scouts get back they get a completed or partial card for their record...it's just not a blue card. We *do* use blue stock though. Much cheaper, same look and feel. Easier to manage. Less process and fewer trips to the scout shop.

Edited by Bad Wolf

I know at the end of camp we also got a printout that was to be used instead of blue cards, it was just different so my son had to explain it..

Perhaps it has only been implemented at camps?  I thought one of the camps mentioned it moving to unit level in the next year when we picked up my sons cards at the end of camp (White, typed up and the printout was a little different looking), but since my son moved from scout to scouter about 6 years back, if so then those with camps using computerized blue cards should have started to see it move to unit level by now. Perhaps that part didn't get off the ground..

Edited by moosetracker

I know this digresses from the original poster's topic.  My apologies.

I'll miss the years of summer camp where the first afternoon at camp, the scouts sat at picnic tables chatting about which badge they were going to take and trying to convince their friends to take the same ones.  On the table would be print outs of the merit badges and what was offered when.  And, dozens and dozens of MB blue cards to be filled out by the scouts.  And the scouts figuring out where they needed to be where and when.  It was a neat exercise in organization for the scouts.  

I'll take that over what I've seen this year.  We're still almost two months from summer camp and we're getting emails about last chance to sign up for merit badges.  And it's at least the 3rd or 4th email on it ... from an adult ... mainly listened to by scout parents.  I much prefer the lower stress old method.  

Edited by fred johnson

Yeah ... I'm not much into the eagle mill debate.  

I just liked when it was more let's go take a merit badge.  and it was fun.  and the kid enjoyed it.  It was not the stressful uptight situation it is now.  Heck, one of my best memories was three boys from the same family in our troop years.  All from a very testosterone filled family with a very big, intimidating dad.  Friday summer camp court of honor, families drove up to attend.  The three boys called their dad up and handed him their three wicker baskets from basket weaving.  It was their joke on their dad.  

The merit badge was fun and way to learn something and spend time with your friends.  The kids enjoyed a good portion of the merit badges.  And those that they didn't, they found a way to enjoy it.  Hopefully, without getting in trouble.

I want just it to be fun so the kids want to keep going and doing more and exploring and trying more.  Nagging three months in advance about summer camp merit badges takes the fun out of it.

As much as possible, summer camp should be ... show up, explore, figure out camp and then decide what you want to do.  

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 2

"you've never had to hand in the blue card segment to the council..."

Our council still requires that the Application for Merit Badge segment of the Blue Card be turned in with an advancement report or printout from Internet Advancement.

The last few versions of the Guide to Advancement have stated that the official Blue Card is the record to use. Camps and special events may apply for a waiver to use a different format or computerized system.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Scoutbook is implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!  Son and I went over to scoutmaster's to align our records with his.  The printout from former scoutmaster was good enough, though blue cards would have been preferred.  The digital technology counselor was fine with signing a new blue card, which scoutmaster signed today.  All completed and partial merit badges have now been recorded with current scoutmaster.  Scoutmaster also says he believe the boys should be in charge of their own blue cards, so in the future it will be son's fault, should cards go missing.  One problem is that we still don't know who was the electricity counselor.  (Found Nuclear science)

You  could call all the Electricity MBCs from the district list.  District Advancement Chair should have list if Sm does not.  MBC should have retained his/her part of the blue card.

I can't seem to find the person, who has the district list.  Which person would that be?  I tried contacting the guy, who was in charge of the powow, where electricity was begun, but he hasn't responded to either of my two inquiries.

As I said, District Advancement Chair.  I'll see if I can find for you.

Woops!  Position vacant.

John E Poulson D8 - Chairman (435) 882-2706 Joshua Pinney District Executive (801) 582-3663 x202

Not making this easy, are they?

"A current zone listing of merit badge counselors and merit badges by zone may be obtained from your scout unit commissioner."

I must say, it's like a different organization that B.S.A. here in Ohio.  Says SMs and SAs are prohibited from being Merit badge Counselors.  0___0

Edited by TAHAWK