Wildlife Officers Saves 65 Scouts From Oklahoma Tornado

May, 2015

Federal Wildlife Officer Matt Belew came to the rescue for Boy Scouts camping at Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge, OK, when a tornado blew through Saturday night (May 16). The tornado traveled 10 to 12 miles across refuge land, causing major damage to the Fawn Creek Youth Campground on the refuge and destroying nearly all tents. The campground was occupied by Boy Scout Troop 955 from Broken Arrow, OK, as the severe storm was approaching. Anticipating the storm, Belew evacuated all 65 Scouts and their leaders to the refuge headquarters basement about 30 minutes before the tornado hit. All Scouts are safe. 

One Scout father told headquarters staff that “one of those blue tents that was totally smashed by a large tree was the one my son was in.  We had no idea a severe storm was approaching when your officer came and had us evacuate for shelter at the headquarters basement.  I fear my son and others would have died had we not left.  So, thank you.â€

Tents.jpg

The tornado touched down about a quarter mile from the campground. One refuge residence and a camper trailer were damaged but there were no injuries. Deputy refuge manager Ralph Bryant says nesting birds were certainly affected but the large mammal populations on the refuge - elk, bison, deer and longhorn cattle - appear to have escaped unhurt. 

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/news/FedWildOfficerActsQuicklySaveBoyScouts.html

Good video in this news link:

http://kfor.com/2015/05/28/they-responded-like-scouts-do-officer-moves-camping-boy-scouts-into-shelter-as-tornado-approaches/

Scout salute and our thanks,

Edited by RememberSchiff

I think we discussed this in the weather thread. I'd be VERY concerned as a parent in that troop that the adults did not have a weather radio on and were taken by surprise by this storm. You could see this thing coming for HOURS and the SPC had that supercell tornado-warned when it developed back in Texas.

Somebody flunked basic weather training on this one. Very concerning. Also, BSA does themselves no favors pointing this out on their own news service as they did.