Embarrassment As A Motivator

Would you want a sub-par rifle instructor demonstrating poor firearms protocol teaching your scout? Would you want a climbing instructor who had no clue on how to climb or tie knots belaying your scout?

Bad Wolf,

None of these things have anything to do with there physical appearence. What only slim and trim leaders know or have any skill in anything? Being overweight means they have less knowledge? 

You miss the point. Let me be clearer.

The analogy was about demonstration of leadership and application of the Oath and Law. Just as you would not want a sub-par person teaching rifle and shotgun, so too would you not want a GROSSLY overweight leader lecturing scouts about keeping one's self physically strong or discussing how important it is to adhere to the food pyramid or stop eating sugary snacks, etc.

Sorry, besides being hypocritical, it shows they expect the scouts to "do as they say, not as they do". Leadership is supposed to be by example. We tell that to the scouts that all the time. How can you be a good example when you can't see your toes?

Like I said, I *get* the struggle as we get older. I get that certain conditions cause us to gain weight. But IF adults really want to lead by example they could.

Edited by Bad Wolf

Scouters,

I have observed that there is a positive correlation between time spent volunteering and being out of shape. I keep fighting the battle of the bulge as many of us do. In my case the days of swimmng with Masters' Swimming five nights a week have given way to meetings, counseling, teaching, mentoring and campouts.  I understand the trade off that I made and it was a conscious decison on my part and I am aware of limitations now. 

I understand the part of keeping physically fit as well as leading by example. I also undersand the part of being kind and not judge my fellow Scouters.

Gooddog

• Upvote 1

This whole subject is not about judging other scouters and their dietary problems it's about honesty towards the Oath.  Like the old song used to say, "...Two outta three ain't bad."  But is that an acceptable standard for the Oath?

I understood what you were saying, just don't agree with it. You do know that there are certain conditions out there that make it hard if not impossible for some of these folks to see there toes? Watched my own mother for years while I was young struggle with a weight problem, she joined clubs, counted calories, took long walks around the block you name it just didn't work. Never in my life though would I refer to her or anyone else like that as being "sub-par".

It's not a program, it's not a regimen, it's not some pills, it's not just will power, it's a lifestyle.  When I was 15 years old I could knock off a large pizza by myself.  Now the Mrs. and I get two meals out of a large pizza.  She has a weight problem I do not.  I don't snack between meals the way she does.  She has a different lifestyle than I do.

Like it or not, we "judge" people all the time...especially other scouters. We judge them if they are good at this or that. We judge if they lead well or not. We judge them seven ways to Friday.

The only thing being said here is -- and let's be clear about this -- being obese has nothing to do with how good a leader you are. But being obese does not set a good example for the scouts. With the obesity rate at a five year high, having adults in the Scouting program who are obese does not send a good message to the boys.

You can be a good leader and be obese. But you could be a GREAT leader if you were also a good example to the scouts in showing that diet choices and exercise are something you are willing to do, not merely talk about.

Edited by Bad Wolf

Insensitivity alert!  Don't read this if you're the type to get bent out of shape by reality.

Go back up to the photo in post #1.  

Which Scouter in that photo do you want your son to look like at 55?

Which one doesn't snore?  Or require special sleeping quarters?

Who teaches Personal Fitness, Hiking, Backpacking, Athletics, Swimming, Lifesaving, or Climbing?  (Although I would rather have a heavy person as my belay...)

Which Scouter will help your son with a broken leg to get out of the woods?  (ie.- carry their weight?)

Tell me which adult in that photo you want to carry out of the back-country.

And which adult is most likely to need carrying.

I was skimming through posted photos from our council NYLT and got visually slammed by that photo.  "Good Gerty!  They're ALL fat!"  I could not do nothing.  So I hid their faces in the photo, and came here to vent.  

Read the thread title.  Be motivated.  Please.

Political correctness keeps us from addressing the horizontally enhanced, and it's doing them no favor.  Our courtesy is giving heavy folks an excuse to eat more chicken.  And we're killing them.  I fight daily with my dinner plate.  Sometimes I win.

I'm not trying to offend anyone.  I'm not picking on anyone to make them feel bad.  Gravity does that without my help.  

If my comments hurt your feelings, please consider:

1- Be kind to your knees; loose 20 pounds.

2- Be kind to our children.  They look to us for a good example.

Edited by JoeBob

Bad Wolf,

Now I can agree with all that you have put down there. My problem was earlier it seemed to be a name calling type thing and I do find that to be very unscout like. Believe me I am not "thin skinned" , but it just seemed a little too far to the other side for my liking.

• Upvote 1

6'2", 200lb. I'm quite a bit older than JoeBob. I have just as much appetite as always, but it doesn't take that much to satisfy it. No alcohol, period. That's a 'hidden' source of a huge number of calories, not to mention my rant about the other aspects.

When I do a lightweight backpacking class for new scouts and adults (even those that backpacked as kids) I tell the adults that in addition to lightening the weight in their backpack they need to try to lose weight in the front pack. :D

Even though I'm at a relatively healthy weight, my office chair is trying to kill me.  I've started walking a mile and a half each morning just to keep the my back, knees and legs in shape.  I did over 50 miles of hiking and backpacking with the boys last summer and have another 50 miles planned for the end of this summer.  I can't keep up with the 16 year olds who run cross country but I hold my own.  That being said, my goal is to lose 10 pounds by the end of the summer to be down to 175 pounds.  

Our troop is fortunate, we've got a bunch of adult leaders who can do the high adventure stuff and who love doing it.

• Upvote 1

What was the name of the fitness campaign a few years ago announced when Bullet Bob was Chief?  ScoutStrong?  There was a picture in Scouting at the top of the announcement showing us Bob, Tico, and the National President - every one with Dunlops Disease,    To frighten us into fitness?

I resemble the picture above, albeit with less bling (I have the minimum patches necessary).  I am a volunteer, because the troop needs me.  If we had more fit younger males willing to lead, I would gladly step down.  The younger fit males are too busy worrying about working out, instead of volunteering.....

Agreed!  I am no heavy weight by any stretch of the imagination and I want to lose 10 myself but these are freaking VOLUNTEERS, at least they care enough to be there.  215 6' myself and I feel I need more exercise myself.  

Physically Strong, Mentally Awake and Morally Straight.

We spend a lot of time on the 3rd, but we should keep our eyes on the first two as well. Healthy habits for our boys will stay with them for life, and we can model them as well. The same way we all want the boys to think through a problem, and to approach challenges from moral perspective - we can also pursue healthier habits as well. While fat shaming is not morally straight in my interpretation, we should not ignore the poor examples set by adults to the youth either.

Not sure how to do that, other than to embrace the high adventure guidelines and make them adult goal. I face the same challenge as we all do with a white collar desk job and the temptation of fast food (or worse when on the road). 

We don't make excuses for stupidity or immorality, so lets not make them for missing out on the physical side either. Let's admit our problems and find a way forward instead.

• Upvote 2