How annoying! It's viewable in the UK. Youtube rules here are basically they have an agreement with the big 4 record labels so you can use it but you get adverts automatically applied. Photos here instead!

Great photos! Looks like they are having lots of fun. I love how it doesn't matter what the kids are wearing, but they add the neckerchief and suddenly they look like scouts!

And under 14 years of age and using one wheeled carts! The horror! I glad the BSA put a stop that kind of fun dangerous activity! :mad:

Edited by Rick_in_CA

Great photos! Looks like they are having lots of fun. I love how it doesn't matter what the kids are wearing, but they add the neckerchief and suddenly they look like scouts!

And under 14 years of age and using one wheeled carts! The horror! I glad the BSA put a stop that kind of fun dangerous activity! :mad:

Er..... What's a one wheeled cart?

Having the necker on most of the time is pretty standard, it's most useful at large scout campsites with lots of groups there, it makes identifying my mob at a distance easier.

Back to the original post, do you have the option of staying at a scout summer camp but self programming so getting the best of both worlds? Or are you obliged to follow the programme that they offer?

Back to the original post, do you have the option of staying at a scout summer camp but self programming so getting the best of both worlds? Or are you obliged to follow the programme that they offer?

We're obliged to follow the program that they offer.

We're investigating running our own next summer.  I think the hard part will be convincing some of the parents that the lack of merit badge classes will be a good thing.

Er..... What's a one wheeled cart?

Having the necker on most of the time is pretty standard, it's most useful at large scout campsites with lots of groups there, it makes identifying my mob at a distance easier.

Wheelbarrows. The US Occupational Health and Safety Association (OSHA) says 14 year olds should not be employed to use them. BSA has circulated that and other tool use recommendations to their units.

Yes, some camps do offer optional programming features that allow the units to do just that. It seems to be becoming more popular.

A Scout is Honest! :)

Proxy servers are honest, DRM Nazis that are dishonest. ;)

Side Note: If I bought Back in Black in 1982 did I buy worldwide rights to it in all media, thus I don't have to repurchase it online? ;)

My boyhood Scout troop always did DIY summer camp because they felt they couldn't afford council camp. The younger Scouts always felt a bit cheated because they couldn't horseback ride every day, use the "war canoes", or work on lots of requirements.  Council camps just have more stuff, and more stuff to do

• 2 weeks later...

The Troop of my yoooth did this several years.  I still have the dangle from "Camp Freedom".   Somebody's uncle's brother's friend owned some wooded property with a spring on it. 

After we had been camping on it several times, The Troop developed a schedule :  We first capped/dammed the spring, put a actual spigot on it.  Then, one dad worked for the phone company, and we took many surplus utility poles and dragged them into the woods (with a surplus Jeep!) and the dads and older Scouts cut and built a 3 sided Adirondack shelter into a hillside. This became the Quartermaster's  Cabin.   Meanwhile, somebody (?) had dug and built a privy, "over there". Down from the QCabin, they partially dammed up a creek (the outflow of the spring) and made a aluminum box in it that became the camp cooler.  Little Tenderfoot me helped where I could, and often! 

By this time, it was winter.  The next summer, I attended both the Council camp (Roosevelt on the Chesapeake Bay) and "Freedom".   We had four Patrols, each had a separate campsite, and we built a rock  fire place in ours.  Draw your supplies from the QCabin, cook your meals, and do Scout stuff all day.  Field trips to museums and other Parks.  The adults were "over there" and we were "over here".  We built lots of camp gadgets, including a table and benches (which was replaced the next year with a board/lumber set that we pounded together).  

Who did it?  The older Scouts had a large role in planning and teaching and exampling, as I remember.   When I became
"old enough" ( a real objective judgement), I was a Quartermaster and Bugler. The adults did the supplying and directing. Mr. McDaniels was the Quartermaster and he had a couple of Scout assistants, who took care of business.  Often, he was not there, but would come in each day with supplies and walk thru the camp to check on us.    Mr. Leaman., the Scoutmaster was there too, but "over there" more than anything else. 

Ah, those were the days.   I have no doubt any Troop today could do the same sort of thing, make it a traveling camp ala  Joe Bob.  

"Freedom" was used for at least 20 years by the Troop, then it was sold off  (I later found), partially to a religious retreat center and partially to the County Parks.  I took Scoutson up there once and found the ruins of the cabin.  The spring had been bulldozed and filled in.

Edited by SSScout