Are You Planning On Going To The 2017 Jamboree?

Is it too early to start a SUB FORUM on this?

Health and circumstances allowing, I will be there ( I hope)(maybe) (if I can afford it).

Will there be a discount if I use my own (2013 ) Jamboree duffle?

Unlikely.  I enjoyed seeing the 2013 Jambo through my son's eyes but not particularly interested in spending the money to go again with a contingent or paying to staff.  Besides SWMBO tells me we're going to be taking a family vacations now that #1 is through the program.

Edited by dcsimmons

Nope.  I hope to be retired by the end of 2016 and have debts that need to get paid off.  I can't afford to pay for the privilege of being "staff".

How much does staff have to pay? 

I thought our council price was bad, I cannot imagine giving up ten days of vacation time and still have to PAY to staff an event.

EDIT: Found the answer here. So $975 for a council member, to which my council adds another $1500 in transport and other fees that are not optional. Between $425-$875 to volunteer to be staff? Use some of that STEM money to cut the costs of people doing you a favor, BSA!! No thanks.

We're going here instead.

Edited by Bad Wolf

I gave up a week's vacation for YEARS to take my troop to summer camp.  But at least they didn't charge us the registration fee.  Most of us adults worked our butts off doing camp maintenance or staffing the aquatics areas.  I once visited another Council office during a business trip and got to chatting with one of the office staff.  She said that, not only did she have to pay the fees to work at Jambo, but her SE was charging her 10 days' vacation time for being out of the office.  I thought that was pretty crappy.  BSA is not a family-friendly employer, in my opinion.

I gave up a week's vacation for YEARS to take my troop to summer camp.  But at least they didn't charge us the registration fee.  Most of us adults worked our butts off doing camp maintenance or staffing the aquatics areas.  I once visited another Council office during a business trip and got to chatting with one of the office staff.  She said that, not only did she have to pay the fees to work at Jambo, but her SE was charging her 10 days' vacation time for being out of the office.  I thought that was pretty crappy.  BSA is not a family-friendly employer, in my opinion.

Was she forced by council to staff Jambo? If so, then that's crap to take her vacation and charge her the fee.

Otherwise, if she volunteered to staff Jambo, the fee and the vacation days make sense.

Kandersteg sounds like lots of fun! I wish I had a chance to go to a place like that when I was a scout.

One thing you may or may not be aware of is that at Kandersteg (and a lot of European youth camps), single gender sleeping arraignments are by special request only. So depending on what your booking plans are, keep that in mind.

Kandersteg sounds like lots of fun! I wish I had a chance to go to a place like that when I was a scout.

One thing you may or may not be aware of is that at Kandersteg (and a lot of European youth camps), single gender sleeping arraignments are by special request only. So depending on what your booking plans are, keep that in mind.

It is built in to their program for visiting US units. But that's a big selling point for our crew. ;)