If you are treasurer or leader and can throw in your advice or point to policy that answers my dilemma please do so.

I have been treasurer of my son's small troop for about a year. We are fairly new to scouting.

I have been told by leadership to write a check to a parent to defer costs of his eagle advancement. My understanding is we are only to reimburse such costs after receiving proof of purchase and to do otherwise counts as income. When I ask about this, I am told to just pay her because that is what has been done in the past. There is no policy that explains this. I stated 'You want someone in a leadership position to pay money about something without an understanding. I am not going to do that.' This has caused some turmoil.

I am about to step down, but wondering if there are any scout, treasurer, ethical policies or opinions out there that might be helpful. I have not found "FISCAL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR BSA UNITS" to be helpful.

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all, I want to thank you all for your input. Your opinions and discussions have helped me through this stressful incident. Great discussions and insight. To clarify, the old scoutmaster is w

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, I believe what you are doing is correct and ethical.  We do not pay anything without a receipt.  You have been given a responsibility to handle the Chartering Organization's (CO) money (not the troop's) in a proper manner.  What you do may have an affect on the non-profit status of the CO.

I would simply hand over the books to someone else and volunteer for a less controversial position on the committee.  At least if something comes of this, your name will be the one who chose not to be involved.  Remember, you are a volunteer.  They cannot force you to do something you're uncomfortable with.

A polite, "Here's the ledger, here's the checkbook.  Thanks for the opportunity to do that for a while, but I would prefer something else at this point."

Edited by Stosh

Welcome Marco. You're gut instinct, "Where is it written that the policy/procedure is ..." is right on as it makes no sense to write a reimbursement without a receipt.

I agree with Stosh.

We have found this write-up helpful

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Treasurer_-_Good_Practices

Edited by RememberSchiff

Agree with @@Stosh.

The only alternative is to dig your heels in and say "I'm the treasurer now. These are the rules. They are for the good of the troop. Follow them."

That said, a motion approved in committee minutes for a specific purpose may count as a receipt. (E.g. "By CC: To give Mrs. X, $100.00 in advance for court of honor preparation. Seconded by SM. Approved.") That way in your ledger you can reference the minutes.

Then if the woman goes on a bender with her motorcycle gang, the troop has legal recourse to demand $ if the desired product was not there.

We have the individual pay for their own COH. Any troop cost over $50 are approved through th TC. Anything over $300 requires quotes from three vendors.

We have the individual pay for their own COH. Any troop cost over $50 are approved through th TC. Anything over $300 requires quotes from three vendors.

@

ECOH's are always the financial responsibility of the families.  If they don't wish to pay, they get a nice ECOH done by the boys just like any other COH.  Maybe the boys suggest a pot luck appetizer thingy or some Sloppy Joes and chips.  Nothing fancy, and nothing expensive.

Costs of equipment, etc. is always researched by the boys and for the most part they seem to find the cheapest prices.  They know if they don't shop wisely, they are going to just have to do that much more work at fundraisers.  That in and of itself is quite a motivator towards THRIFTY.  :)

You are not going to find specific guidance on Eagle advancement reimbursement procedures.  This is determined by your unit's committee with very limited guidance from the BSA.  Your CO may offer more guidance as it should reflect their policies and procedures.  I suggest you bring this up at your committee meeting.  Our policy is in writing, so we are all on the same page.  

Here is our policy:

ECOH expenses are the family's responsibility however, with receipts, can be reimbursed out of the scout's account--which consists of parent funds and fundraiser funds.  

Eagle Project expenses are reimbursed, with receipts, from the scout's Eagle Project Fundraiser Account only after the project beneficiary and Scoutmaster has signed off on the paperwork.  The family may also request reimbursement from their scout account if they didn't raise enough funds to cover the entire project expense.  Any remaining funds in the Eagle Project Fundraiser Account are donated to the beneficiary.  

The troop will write a $50 check to the parents as an Eagle gift from the troop.  The check is not written until receipt of the Eagle credentials from National BSA and the SM notifies me of such.  

With the exception of the Eagle gift, no receipt=no check.

You are not going to find specific guidance on Eagle advancement reimbursement procedures.  This is determined by your unit's committee with very limited guidance from the BSA.  Your CO may offer more guidance as it should reflect their policies and procedures.  I suggest you bring this up at your committee meeting.  Our policy is in writing, so we are all on the same page.  

Here is our policy:

ECOH expenses are the family's responsibility however, with receipts, can be reimbursed out of the scout's account--which consists of parent funds and fundraiser funds.  

Eagle Project expenses are reimbursed, with receipts, from the scout's Eagle Project Fundraiser Account only after the project beneficiary and Scoutmaster has signed off on the paperwork.  The family may also request reimbursement from their scout account if they didn't raise enough funds to cover the entire project expense.  Any remaining funds in the Eagle Project Fundraiser Account are donated to the beneficiary.  

The troop will write a $50 check to the parents as an Eagle gift from the troop.  The check is not written until receipt of the Eagle credentials from National BSA and the SM notifies me of such.  

With the exception of the Eagle gift, no receipt=no check.

We don't have individual scout accounts anymore than the youth ministry of our CO has individual accounts for their youth.  It is not an acceptable practice in the opinion of everyone involved in our unit. It was unanimously adopted when we chartered.  With that being said, we do have patrol funds that are controlled by the patrols and those funds are disbursed cooperatively with the patrol treasurer/scribe and the Committee treasurer.  About half of the fundraising moneys go into the patrol fund relative to the amount of work the patrol members expend.  Their monthly dues in total also go into their patrol fund.  If a boy moves from one patrol to another the money does not transfer.  It was raised as a patrol and it stays under that name regardless of the membership.

With that being said, we are so new it will be a few years before we are faced with this situation.  I have no idea what the Eagle candidates patrol will decide.

Edited by Stosh

@

ECOH's are always the financial responsibility of the families.  If they don't wish to pay, they get a nice ECOH done by the boys just like any other COH.  Maybe the boys suggest a pot luck appetizer thingy or some Sloppy Joes and chips.  Nothing fancy, and nothing expensive.

Costs of equipment, etc. is always researched by the boys and for the most part they seem to find the cheapest prices.  They know if they don't shop wisely, they are going to just have to do that much more work at fundraisers.  That in and of itself is quite a motivator towards THRIFTY.  :)

Yup same with us.

As the pack treasurer,  I prefer and usually get receipts which I use to reimburse pack leaders for expenses.

However,  if a leader has lost receipts,  they can give me their best recollection of expenses they have incurred.  So far,  I've found such estimates reasonable and paid them.  No guarantees on that though.

Where families don't want to front expenses,  I've occasionally funded a petty cash fund up front,  which I then charge off when I receive receipts for expenses.

"Told by the leadership" is a vague statement.  And you say that the purpose is to defer costs  --- what does that mean?

How much money is involved and is this something the Troop can easily afford?

Since it's an issue,  I'd be inclined to take the initiative and ask the troop committee to adopt a policy on this issue.

Good ideas/experience form all above.

ECoH: Home Troop provides Eagle patch, pin/medal, special necker if desired, mom&dad pins, and Mentor pins (if the Scout

would like). If a special party is desired, that is up to the Scout and family. Otherwise, as has been said, a normal,

Troop CoH with a special ECoH tied on the end. Both have been done.

Eagle project? Special accounting, separate from the Troop. Excess goes to the beneficiary, without question.

Camp Scholarship? Hardship case? Again, a separate case, but it needs to be more out in the open than merely being told

"write the check".

Treasurers report every Committee meeting , in the mean time.

"A Scout is Trustworthy.... Thrifty....Courteous...." etc.

I would also bring this up to the next Unit Committee meeting for discussion.

With scout scholarships you need to work with your CO. You can run afoul of the IRS if you run that program incorrectly.

Agree that any money programs in scouting need tight accounting and policy wording. Most won't take advantage of you, some will.

Sadly we had a family take advantage our our program like we were her ATM. Finally cut the mom off.

I have been told by leadership to write a check to a parent to defer costs of his eagle advancement. 

What type of "costs" ?  Can you provide more detail?  I believe in both getting receipts but also getting those who incur expenses reimbursed.  So I'd first have to ask ... what "costs"?  Project costs?  Eagle rank pins, etc?   Eagle court of honor?  

There is a lot to be said for keeping the peace and finding a way to work together.  If we are sure the person had those expenses or will have those expenses, IMHO it is sufficient to write a note explaining the reason and how the amount was determined.  IMHO, this is really no different than if you have a camp out that is seven hours drive round trip and you reimburse $20 for each person in the car.  The drivers have no receipt.  It doesn't cover all the costs.  But as treasurer and troop leaders you can easily defend the reimbursement because you knew they had at least that cost.  

There is a lot to be said for putting egos aside, keeping the peace and working together.  

I have found that the easiest and most credible process for handling money is to turn in receipts and get reimbursed.  Records of money which belongs to the CO are fully documented, and if the family wants their money, they'll keep their receipts and turn them in.  If that's too much of a hassle, they can simply toss the receipts and suck up the expense on their own.

When I was treasurer of a group, I kept impeccable records and when they did a surprise audit, I could account for every penny.  After a while they quit with the stupid audits until after I left.  Of course when I left the records were complete and precise.  That's the job, do it right and most importantly of all, CYA!  It's a bit like YPT.  Precise records protects the treasurer.  

If that's too much of a hassle, they can simply toss the receipts and suck up the expense on their own.

Bad attitude loses volunteers.  Work to get receipts, support the team and find a way to get them reimbursed if they had costs.