US Congressional Award

Is a scout able to  wear a US Congressional Award Medal on his uniform. I would believe that it is possible as BSA sponsors the award association. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
fix title
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd ask national. Scouts can wear historic trail awards so this might be in that category.   Frankly, there are so many uniform violations that BSA would be hard pressed to enforce anything. I say

The one I find is Not a BSA Specific Program So I would say No...

It's the "Congressional Award Program."   http://congressionalaward.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ProgramRequirements.pdf       "BSA and Congressional Award program aim to expand participation B

Is a scout able to  wear a US Congressional Award Medal on his uniform. I would believe that it is possible as BSA sponsors the award association.

I'd ask national. Scouts can wear historic trail awards so this might be in that category.

Frankly, there are so many uniform violations that BSA would be hard pressed to enforce anything. I say wear it.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It's the "Congressional Award Program."   http://congressionalaward.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ProgramRequirements.pdf

"BSA and Congressional Award program aim to expand participation news07.jpg
BSA Program Director Doug Smith (third from right) congratulates Gold Congressional Award winners (left to right) Christopher Alford, Scott Burright, Amanda McGee, Paul Ellison, and Christopher Kruse. Photograph by Richard Greenhouse

A new partnership between the Congressional Award Foundation and the Boy Scouts of America is designed to expand the opportunities for BSA members to benefit from theCongressional Award, the highest recognition Congress bestows upon young people for community service, goal-setting, and personal development initiatives.

The award program is a nonpartisan partnership between Congress and the private sector, to promote and recognize initiative, achievement, and excellence among youth. To earn the program's highest level, the Gold Congressional Award, a person must complete a minimum of 400 hours of voluntary public service, 200 hours of personal development, 200 hours of physical fitness, and a five-day, four-night camping expedition.

The partnership with the BSA was announced at a June ceremony in the U.S. Capitol which also honored 17 recent recipients of the Gold Congressional Award.

Receiving the award were five BSA members: Scott Burright of Grinnell, Iowa; Christopher Alford of Park City, Ky.; Amanda McGee of Oregon City, Ore.; Christopher Kruse of Platte City, Mo., and Paul Ellison of Springfield, Va.

"By giving of myself, I have learned how to help others have a better life that is very gratifying to all," Burright said in describing the benefits of earning the award. "By participating in the program, I have grown immensely - psychologically, physically, and emotionally."

The program is open to young people between 14 and 23 who set and achieve challenging goals for the betterment of themselves and their communities, regardless of physical, mental, or socioeconomic circumstances, in four areas: public service, personal development, physical fitness, and expedition/exploration.

Since the program was established in 1979, more than 6,500 Congressional Awards have been earned, representing well over 1.5 million volunteer hours performed in community service across America.

To register to earn the Congressional Award, call 1-888-80-AWARD, or visit the Web site, http://www.congressionalaward.org"

Scouting, October 8, 1999

"Descriptive info: Congressional Award.. The Congressional Award was started by Congress in 1979.. This award system was set up recognize those young adults who prove to show initiative, great achievements, and significant service to the community.. The United States Senate and the US House of Representatives established the Congressional Award as a private-public partnership.. This organization receives all funding from the private sector.. It was originally signed into law by President Jimmy Carter.. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George Bush and Bill Clinton have signed continuing legislation.. While this is not directly a Venturing award, Venturers are encouraged to register for the program and thus make them self eligible for additional recognition on a national level.. Many Venturers find that active participation in the Venturing Program can merit recognition through the Congressional Award program.. Procedure.. The congressional award is a journey and experience.. Each potential award recipient must register them self with  ...   hours and experiences in.. This log book is turned in at each award level.. Candidates must be at least 13 years old to register and must complete all requirements by their 24th birthday.. Recognition.. The Congressional Award is a multi-tiered award.. The progression starts with the Bronze Certificate and culminates with the Gold Medal.. Hours invested toward each level carries forward toward the next award.. Candidates receiving the Gold Medal receive the award before a special session of the United States Congress in Washington DC.. Certificate Level.. Min.. Hours per Program Area.. Bronze.. Silver.. Gold.. Voluntary Public Service.. 30.. 60.. 90.. Personal Development.. 15.. 45.. Expedition/Exploration.. 1 day.. 2 days.. 3 days.. Total Hours.. 120.. 180.. Time to Earn the Award.. -.. 6 months.. Medal Level.. Voluntary Public Service.. 100.. 200.. 400.. 50.. 1 overnight.. 2 consecutive overnights.. 4 consecutive overnights.. 800.. 7 months.. 12 months.. 24 months."

Central Region, December, 2012.

"Last year the BSA and the Congressional Award program signed a formal partnership allowing Sea Scouts the opportunity to earn the Congressional Award by doing voluntary public service, personal development, physical fitness, and undertaking a cruise or superactivity. Here's how you can earn the Congressional Award. You select an adult advisor who helps you set challenging, but achievable goals and plan activities to reach those goals. Along the way to the Gold Medal, you can earn a Bronze, Silver, and Gold Certificate; and a Bronze and Silver Medal. Hours dedicated to earning an award at one level are carried with you to the next level. The minimum age to register is 14 and you must achieve your goals by your 24th birthday. As an example, the hours worked toward a Quartermaster service project can count concurrently toward the Congressional Award if you register with the Congressional Award program before starting the service project. You can register online at www.congressionalaward.org or contact the Congressional Award Foundation at P.O. Box 77440, Washington, DC 20013 (Telephone: 202-226-0130). The Congressional Award is about challenge. It is a fun and interesting way to get more involved in something you already enjoy or something you would like to try for the first time. For example, Sea Scouts learning about special skills needed for Sea Scout advancement could count their hours toward the personal development category. In the personal development area the Congressional Award's Bronze Certificate only requires 15 hours. Another 15 hours are required for the Silver Certificate, then 15 more hours for the Gold Certificate. The Congressional Award Bronze Medal needs an extra five hours of personal development. The Silver Medal requires a total of 100 hours of personal development and the Gold Medal 200 hours. The Congressional Award program is the United States Congress's opportunity to say thanks to Sea Scouts that are serving others and growing as young adults and citizens. Your Congressman may present the certificates and Bronze and Silver Medals in your home town or state capital, but the Congressional Award Gold Medal is presented in Statutory Hall in the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C."

Northeast Region, Sea Scouting Committee, October, 2000.
Edited by TAHAWK
  • Thanks 1

It can be earned by any Youth including those outside BSA So I still say NO... and It can be Earned up to the Age of 23...So It Means it Can be Earned by Adults also. The Award is Given from Outside BSA Also.

Edited by jpstodwftexas

It can be earned by any Youth including those outside BSA So I still say NO... and It can be Earned up to the Age of 23...So It Means it Can be Earned by Adults also. The Award is Given from Outside BSA Also.

It will be interesting to see what BSA says. Someone here used to work for BSA Supply...maybe they know?

The Outdoor Awareness Award (formerly LNT) is essentially done by two outside orgs, but the patch is still produced and awarded through BSA. Can't think if there are any outside awards which BSA allows worn on the uniform.

It will be interesting to see what BSA says. Someone here used to work for BSA Supply...maybe they know?

The Outdoor Awareness Award (formerly LNT) is essentially done by two outside orgs, but the patch is still produced and awarded through BSA. Can't think if there are any outside awards which BSA allows worn on the uniform.

The religious awards are similar.

• Upvote 1

All the religious medals are awarded by the religious organizations.  BSA merely cooperates with earning and recognizes those awards.

"The religious emblems programs are programs created by the various religious groups to encourage youth to grow stronger in their faith. The religious groups—not the Boy Scouts of America—have created the religious emblems programs themselves.

The Boy Scouts of America has approved of these programs and allows the recognition to be worn on the official uniform, but each religious organization develops and administers its own program."

In a partnership between BSA and the NRA, The NRA shooting medals are awarded to Scouts by the NRA..  The NRA program extends to youth organizations other than the BSA.

I think we should ask BSA.

ED: So I did.

Edited by TAHAWK

It will be interesting to see what BSA says. Someone here used to work for BSA Supply...maybe they know? ...

Why would it be interesting? It would be the most boring thing I could think of.

Scout gets a medal from congress, much of the way he or she got it was through serving as a scout. Wants to wear the BSA uniform to receive the award. Who in the BSA is going to speak against it? If they did, who among us would really care?

I want kids to be proud of their medals, pick the two or three that are most relevant to the moment at hand, and wear them. I don't want them to waste a moment asking, "Does this medal go with this dress?" So @@jpstodwftexas, by that principle I would say you're gravely mistaken.

@@acatao, regardless of if you were asking this for yourself or a fellow scout, I hope you found an answer in the affirmative.

• Upvote 1

Why would it be interesting? It would be the most boring thing I could think of.

You misinterpret my point. It will be interesting to see if BSA approves the wearing of this medal since it does not appear to be a BSA-awarded medal.

I was not addressing wearing the uniform to receive the medal. Since BSA is working with government on this, I'd assume that would be an approved event despite being in a political setting. Others have worn the uniform to Congress before.

Edited by Bad Wolf

All the religious medals are non-BSA awards, as are the NRA medals.

But they are supplied through BSA. This isn't, is it? If not, this may be the first non-BSA award (neither presented or supplied) to be worn with the uniform in modern times.

No?

But they are supplied through BSA. This isn't, is it? If not, this may be the first non-BSA award (neither presented or supplied) to be worn with the uniform in modern times.

No?

"The religious emblems programs are programs created by the various religious groups to encourage youth to grow stronger in their faith. The religious groups—not the Boy Scouts of America—have created the religious emblems programs themselves.

The Boy Scouts of America has approved of these programs and allows the recognition to be worn on the official uniform, but each religious organization develops and administers its own program."

"The religious emblems programs should be presented to youth members and their families as an optional program for them to complete through their religious organization."

"How do I order the recognition items? Each religious program has its own emblem. Follow the instructions in your recognition guidelines because the emblems come from different places and require submission of different information. These emblems will not be available in your local council!"

Edited by TAHAWK

I was not addressing wearing the uniform to receive the medal. Since BSA is working with government on this, I'd assume that would be an approved event despite being in a political setting. Others have worn the uniform to Congress before. ...

Receiving the award was an example of the most obvious case where the uniform and medal compliment each other. Given that one case, others may apply: courts of honor, formal dinners, community ceremonies, etc ...

When we get into the realm of medals, there is a little room for personal judgement.