US Congressional Award

Boy - you just have to disagree with me on just about everything, don't you?   :)

However, we were discussing the Congressional Award which comes with a certificate and a medallion.  You've linked to the President's Volunteer Service Award which is a completely different kettle of fish.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd ask national. Scouts can wear historic trail awards so this might be in that category.   Frankly, there are so many uniform violations that BSA would be hard pressed to enforce anything. I say

The one I find is Not a BSA Specific Program So I would say No...

It's the "Congressional Award Program."   http://congressionalaward.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ProgramRequirements.pdf       "BSA and Congressional Award program aim to expand participation B

As a member of the Friends Committee on Scouting, the liaison of the Religious Society of Friends (Quaker)  to the BSA (among other orgs), to answer some of the above,  I will say :

1)  In general, the religious awards are designed, administered and awarded by the faith, thru whatever organization they have.  In our case, we decided that any youth of Scout age may earn the Friend awards thru their local Friends' Meeting or Church. "Your (faith) mileage may vary".

2)  The  awards are worn on the BScout/GScoutUSA/Campfire etc. uniform as that organization allows. Or not.

3)  We also work with other Scout/Guide orgs to help understand their rank faith requirements as they apply to us Quakers (ask me about the new Cub and Webelos requirements another time).

4)   If a non-Scout earns any of the Friend awards (and there have been some), they can wear it where/how they think best. It is viewed as a form of religious education.  Hang it on your wall next to the HS diploma....Or Elementary school diploma....

5)  If it is an award you are proud of, wear it appropriately, with pride.  But with humility.

6)  As to the Congressional Award, I see no reason to object if a Scout wishes to display his accomplishment on his Scout uniform.  It was, after all, earned from a Congressional-BSA partnership. Said so right up there...

Good Scouting to you!

• 2 years later...

I have been hearing about this program more often from parents. Is the government promoting its own youth program? It has more participants than Trail Life or Scouts Canada.

The Congressional Award is the United States Congress’ award for young Americans. It is non-partisan, voluntary, and non-competitive. The program is open to all youth regardless of ability, circumstance, or socioeconomic status. Participants earn Bronze, Silver, and Gold Certificates and Bronze, Silver, and Gold Medals. Each level involves setting goals in four program areas; Voluntary Public Service, Personal Development, Physical Fitness, and Expedition/Exploration. Earning the Award is a fun and interesting way to get more involved in something you already enjoy or something you’d like to try for the first time. You move at your own pace, on your own or with your friends. This is not an award for past accomplishments. Instead, you are honored for achieving your own challenging goals.

Regardless of your situation, you can earn The Congressional Award. The Congressional Award has no minimum grade point average requirements. It accommodates young people with special needs or disabilities who are willing to take the challenge.

http://congressionalaward.org/about/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1