Gentleman,

They have feet/legs and have the lids with the rim.

Lodge calls them camp ovens.

In our council, St Louis, this size of

dutch oven is the standard. It is 12 inches in diameter. It is the deep version.

I thought you might want to get one at the low price.

What size do you all use for main course meals?

Thanks

Ahhhh... Then I misunderstood, I saw the 8 and thought it was the 8 inch... Yes, the 12in is the norm for patrol cooking main meals for us and some large desserts.. the 8in is for sides and some other types of desserts

That is a good price !.. 

Edited by moosetracker
  • 4 weeks later...

Got a good deal on a SVEN Saw (folding bow saw) Found at a yard sale for $3.00. Looks like it was never used.

The Lodge Dutch Oven I mentioned in my original post needed an adjustment with a grinder to get the lid to sit

flat and make a better seal. It worked great when making a pizza. Did anyone else buy one recently that had an

ill fitting lid?

The CHINA Dutch ovens often have ill-fitting lids.  I needed to go through over a dozen to find one built by someone with pride.  I needed a loaner.  (My Lodge is from 1961 and does not get loaned.)

Having said that, while my CHINA model is a little rougher on the outside, it works just fine.  

The CHINA Dutch ovens often have ill-fitting lids.  I needed to go through over a dozen to find one built by someone with pride.  I needed a loaner.  (My Lodge is from 1961 and does not get loaned.)

Having said that, while my CHINA model is a little rougher on the outside, it works just fine.  

You can get the foundry seasoned cast iron and carbon steel ovens made in the US. The ceramic ones are from China.

Having been there (China) and seen their manufacturing practices first hand, I tend to steer away from those products. They say they follow Lodge's "strict code of quality" but I'm not buying it...literally.

I bought a cast iron Dutch oven that is marked "CHINA," as was the box it came in.  Texsport IIRC (no brand on the oven itself, just "CHINA.")

Cast iron Dutch ovens from China are currently advertised.

I have not looked into "ceramic" "ovens."

I bought a cast iron Dutch oven that is marked "CHINA," as was the box it came in.  Texsport IIRC (no brand on the oven itself, just "CHINA.")

Cast iron Dutch ovens from China are currently advertised.

I have not looked into "ceramic" "ovens."

Sorry, I should have put "Lodge" in my comments. I know those specific models are still made in their US foundry. I took a tour last summer...pretty cool...and you won't get out of there without spending $150 if you are a cast iron freak like me.

I could have sworn I typed Lodge in my reply...must be getting old. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a couple of pieces that are not Griswold, Wagner, or Lodge.  Yes I pay a bit more for it, but even the stuff I bought at the antique store and refurbished look brand new after daily usage.  My aluminum oven is GSI and is quite pricey, but only 1/3rd the weight of cast iron.  It has its drawbacks, but with a bit of adjustment, the canoe trips still have an excellent menu.  :)

I've seen the Texsport stuff but noticed the lids didn't fit prior to buying and that kinda turned me off to items that don't bother to put their name on the.  Yep, they're half the price and twice the grief.  Not something I want the boys learning on.