Independent Vs Den Based Pursuit Of Requirements

I'm curious how others out there treat/encourage scouts who pursue badge and elective requirements on their own.  For example the plan for the year might have some things planned for den meetings in the spring, but scouts want to do the activities on their own in the fall.  Another example is a scout who wants to get started on his new rank in the summer when formal den meetings might not start until September.  As many requirements are "with your den or family..." I don't see it as an issue and I definitely wouldn't want to discourage a motivated scout.  But on the other hand I could appreciate the argument that it could be seen as the scouting setting himself apart from the den community.

Personally, I tend to put the achievments and activities that are more suited to a group environment in our schedule. I always make sure that AT LEAST 50%, more like 75%, of the number of badge requirements (eg, 6 to 9 of 12 achievements) are covered in den meetings. The ones that entail a lot of conversation can get exasperating at times, but they are also illuminating as we hear more about what is on our scouts minds. The activity based ones engender a lot of competition, enthusiasm and create a shared experience that keeps them interested.

I leave the remainder to do with the families. Most of these are better suited to the family or an individual setting. I mean, are we REALLY going to get a bunch of boys sitting down together to write thank you notes and letters? Ha! But Mom & Dad can after birthdays and Christmas. Some are something that the individual is very interested in that the others may not be. If we happen to cover an item a boy has already done with his family, it's an ideal opportunity for him to display some leadership and subject mastery. 

• Upvote 1

Been dealing with this issue for some time since CSDC does a lot of advancement.  I have no problems, and use those who have done it to help the others.  Also some Cubs want to do the projects again because A) it's fun and B) they know whatthey are doing and ant to do a better job.

• Upvote 1

Your Den Plan for activities so the Scouts can earn their Rank should be planned and communicated to the Scouts and Parents.  There are so many electives that  they should choose what they want to do.  This is what they will be doing in Boyscouts soon.  You need to explain to the Scouts/Parents that while you work on these electives, that you the WDL needs to sign off on the requirement when complete.  Meaning, they need to show what is done.  Just like in Boyscouts.

I do not have a problem with Scouts working on items.  I would just like to know what they are doing and how fun it was.