Hey guys, I'm back. I been out for about two or three weeks I think, but I've been very busy. I kinda overloaded myself with Scout stuff and other clubs and winded up getting an F on a Semester. Also, I have been Saved by Jesus as of January 13, 2004, for that I've finally ask him to take control of my life. I was never a very practicing Chirstian, but I hope to now become one.

Got kinda a little thing for all of you to do if you feel like it.

Its a Scouting History thread! Just come in a post all the history of Scouting you know. I do something kinda new and let you guys start it.

You are the history of Scouting we want to hear.

As you have failed and gained and shared, write.

Your advantage is to know in the present tense.

Your emotion expresses the depth of your experience,

so it must be wonderful!

You run in front of your stories, making them all the better.

We wait patiently to hear the news.

FB

Congradulations in finding your new life with the Lord! Use the "F" as a lesson though. The Lord won't give you more than you can handle but you still have to use the resources He puts in front of you! Scouting is great and all, but your schoolwork should come first! (Spoken like a true Mom! :) )

Anyway, it's fun to look back on Scouting history. I live in Washington and we have one of the oldest Boy Scout Camps here, Camp Parsons. BP visited it back in 1926 along with Lady Olave and James West. Just recently, the camp built a new building that houses all the camp history and pictures of the many Scouts who have stayed over the years. My own father attended in the 50's, my brother went in the late 70's and now my own boys are attending.

If any of you go out of state to camp, consider this camp. It's a great one nestled between the Olympic Mountains and Puget Sound. They do boating, swimming and long term hikes out of the camp as well as all the other goodies like MB and advancement and just plain fun!

This past year our troop was camping and hiking in central Illinois and came upon the gravsite of William D. Boyce, the gentleman who got lost in the London Fog and thereafter brought Scouting to the USA. There is a Scout statue at his grave, and we paid our respects.

Dale

More about the statue at Mr. Boyce's grave:

"THE BOY SCOUT" by famed sculptor, Dr. R. Tait McKenzie. He was a surgeon, physical educator, artist, and sculptor. A personal friend of Lord Baden-Powell, founder of Scouting, Dr. McKenzie was a member of the Philadelphia Council Executive Board from 1911 to his death in 1938. When asked in 1914 to create something tangible "that would stand as a symbol of what Scouting stood for," Dr. McKenzie sculpted his beloved statue portraying the "Ideal Boy Scout."

The sculptor portrayed in his statue the grand traits of character he knew the movement to install in a boy. To Dr. McKenzie, the uncovered head represented reverence and obedience; the ax on which the hand rests was a symbol of George Washington's truthfulness. Later this statue was redone life size and unveiled on the front patio of the Philadelphia Council Scout Service Center on June 12, 1937.

The Philadelphia Council sells these life-size cast bronze statues only as an accommodation. After the original was cast in 1937, a duplicate was cast for erection facing the grave of W. D. Boyce. No more heroic-sized statues were cast until 1954, when the Philadelphia Scouts and Scouters presented a statue to the National Council Office at New Brunswick, New Jersey (national offices have since relocated to Irving, TX).

Since then, 31 statues have been cast and are located at Gilwell Park in England, National Headquarters of the Boy Scouts of Canada, University of Pennsylvania, and at Scout Service Centers and Camps all over the nation.

Each of the life-size statues weighs 500 pounds and stands 6' foot tall. They are individually cast, which is a time consuming process. It usually takes about 6 months for each casting. Considerable time, effort, and skill is required to supervise the casting. This is done by the Sculptor-in-Residence at Princeton University, one of Tait McKenzie's students. He approves the location of each statue. The price of "THE BOY SCOUT" is determined by the cost of casting at the foundry, and includes the casting and inspection. The purchaser pays for transportation charges, preparation of the base, and the mounting at its location.

I have just finished reading the material at the site mentioned about William D. Boyce.

I then looked up a site for Ernest Thompson Seton. The site has several connected outs on the Woodcraft Indians.

I tried to find a site for James E. West but most were sites for donations to the BSA. I couldn't find an overview of his life.

I will next try Dan Beard. He seems to be the least controversial of the original leaders of the BSA movement.

Hello SPLT15

I am sorry about your semester grade but that kind of thing can happen. As far as that and your accepting Jesus, may I suggest some advice. It is from another religion (St. Ignatius Loyola)

"Pray as if everything depended upon God, work as if everything depended upon you."

It may be very appropriate for you to ask Jesus to be the copilot of your life, but you are still the pilot.