• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fox News Scout bashing?  I don't think so.  This is a Irving self-inflicted wound.  From the sounds of it on the forum, WHO IS NOT scout bashing for such a stupid move on their part?

BSA's rules on laser tag and water guns (non realistic looking ones) just adds reality to the perception that scouts is pansy and out-of-touch.     I'm a follow-the-rules type of guy, but I just rol

Somebody is flaunting:   "Tonight's forecast is 78 degrees and Zero chance of rain. So lets wear bathing suits under our Class B tShirts and bring water propulsion devices to practice our Heat Stro

I saw at least one whole troop of Scouts wearing red berets in that video.  I am presuming that is why this is in Issues and Politics.   :)

By the way, I notice that the source of this BSA-bashing is the Fox News Channel.  Kind of unusual for them, isn't it?  Maybe if...

Nah, the rest of that line might send some of my fellow moderators over the edge.  (As in the great line from Ghostbusters II, "He was borderline for awhile.  Then he crossed the border.")

By the way, I went back to look at that Facebook page to watch the video a second time (mainly to see if I could spot any other interesting Scout hats) and noticed that the number 1 trending story on Facebook right now is "Georgia Teacher Arrested for Letting Kids Have Sex in Classroom."  Great.  And these were middle school kids, which I suppose isn't any better than if they were high school kids, except maybe just more sick and stupid, plus the potential sentences for crimes involving children start to get a bit more serious in many states when the children are age 13 or below.  The last line of the article was, referring to the teacher, "It is unclear whether he has a lawyer."  I wouldn't expect that will remain unclear for very long.

Fox News Scout bashing?  I don't think so.  This is a Irving self-inflicted wound.  From the sounds of it on the forum, WHO IS NOT scout bashing for such a stupid move on their part?

• Upvote 1

If pointing a gun is an inappropriate and unkind activity to be involved in, (aim at a human shaped target is rather unkind to that target I suppose), then wouldn't any activity that involved conflict be in appropriate as well?  After all capturing the Flag and taking prisoners is rather embarrassing when you lose.  We need to outlaw Capture the Flag from all Scout activities.  Who's with me on this?  We need to get a petition off to National today! 

We need to change the name of scouting too, it implies military style spying on an enemy which can't be shot at anyway.  Troop, patrol, are more terms that need to go.

Just how far out in space is Irving going to go before it realizes how totally destructive it is to it's own program?

See, the great thing about this issue is that it gives all of us some common ground to rally around rather than just arguing among ourselves. So while we should politely ignore them (OK, maybe not politely) we can also be thankful for the times like this that they hand us a 'gift' like this.

See, the great thing about this issue is that it gives all of us some common ground to rally around rather than just arguing among ourselves. So while we should politely ignore them (OK, maybe not politely) we can also be thankful for the times like this that they hand us a 'gift' like this.

Okay, half-full drink of water, here's the half-empty alternative.  Here we are trying to deal with the difficulties and problems associated with running a scout unit in the 21st Century and the only thing we can all agree on is squirt guns?  How sad!  :) 

Are you in that video?

Yes I am. I liked the video at the time, but now I have a feeling I am going to get some ribbing. And I'm not in a red beret, which I don't have, or my gray British Air Scout beret either. ;) But I do attract attention with the "piratical costume" I'm in.

Well we also got to agree on the ban of scouts using little red wagons for anyone under 14, when they put that out a year or two back.

Fox may be fine with other scout activities, but not when scouts are banning guns.. I also am curious, the way the video stated it, it made it sound like if you were a scout you were not to use squirt guns not only at BSA activities, but ever, sort of like being trustworthy, loyal, helpful  etc.. we should add "no aiming water guns at people" to that..  But, I think it is only not participating in this BSA activity in this fashion..  Not that many will follow this in or out of scouting.