"identify" Wild Animals

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Add feathers, snail shells and spider webs.  There is wild animal sign all over.   Other scouts do not count, no matter how much they try.

I'm thawing venison as I type.  We grind with no added fat 75% of our harvest (aka- kill), 20% sausage for spaghetti sauce, and a few butterflied tenderloins.  I like to swab them with liquid butter,

@@JoeBob, I just call them venison. Marinate them in red wine, lingon berries and olive oil, then smoke them over apple wood for about 2 hours, then serve with a side of lingon berry-brandy sauce with

• 6 years later...
On 5/20/2015 at 6:17 PM, perdidochas said:

Insects aren't on the list in 2nd class requirements. Has to be bird, mammal, reptiles, fish or mollusks. 

The list says "wild animals (such as birds, mammals, reptiles, fish, or mollusks)". Insects aren't excluded, just not listed. "Such as" is a suggestion, not a mandate. Wikipedia states there are 107 classes of animals in 33 phyla, I wouldn't expect the requirement to list them all, one way or another.

Welcome to the forum McHugh.

Looking back through this thread it seems the consensus ended up being that insects would be included.  Frankly, insects are harder to truly identify much of the time.  "I saw a mosquito" is no more sufficient than "I saw a sparrow".  

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

If we can identify them, would that count for the requirement? 😜

Just now, MikeS72 said:

Not sure what phylum, genus or species to put some into.

I am also wondering if we should restrict identification to shat, feathers and tracks.   🤔

• Haha 1